Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 4th July 2017, 03:58 PM   #1
Pinoy Blade Hunter

Smile Laminated Kris for comment

I bought this kris recently because i liked that it was longer and wider than my other kris, it has 3 fuller lines, no separation line gangya.

i had cleaned it with 180,360, 400, 800, 1000 sandpaper then soaked in vinegar to etch. it showed some nice lamination patterns. i was hoping to find twist core somewhere but i can't.

the baca-baca is some brass alloy (it had greenish tarnish before i had cleaned it.)

the blade has some nice spring temper to it. and it is quite light for its size.

to my inexperienced eye, i would estimate the age of this blade to not older than WW2.

what do you guys think? i would appreciate your comments.

maraming salamat.

PBH
Attached Images

Pinoy Blade Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2017, 06:49 PM   #2
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoy Blade Hunter
i had cleaned it with 180,360, 400, 800, 1000 sandpaper then soaked in vinegar to etch. it showed some nice lamination patterns. i was hoping to find twist core somewhere but i can't.
Surprisingly a very nice lamination! Personally I would have sanded the fullers also! To find twistcore by such a coarse blade seems impossible IMVHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoy Blade Hunter
to my inexperienced eye, i would estimate the age of this blade to not older than WW2.
Would agree with you but think it's more a post WWII kris but a nice and complete example of this area.

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2017, 11:34 PM   #3
Pinoy Blade Hunter

Default fullers

thank you detlef, i tried sanding the fullers also, but the pittings are so deep. i will try to sand it again from time to time to minimize the pittings.
Old 5th July 2017, 08:50 AM   #4
Pinoy Blade Hunter

Default my other kris

here it is side by side with my other kris
Attached Images

Old 6th July 2017, 02:19 AM   #5
kai

Yes, a post-WW2 era piece.

Quote:
i tried sanding the fullers also, but the pittings are so deep. i will try to sand it again from time to time to minimize the pittings.
I don't think the fullers were ever done correctly.

I believe sanding will be more than tedious and some dedicated tools would fare much better. If you can find a metal file of suitable diameter and bend it, that should help to even out and deepen the fullers; that would certainly help to make this kris more attractive.

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2017, 02:24 AM   #6
Croccifixio

Hello Alan,

You can roll up low grit sandpaper to clean out the fullers (can go as low as 80). Use them dry. Then once clean go up to 200 with wet. This is a promising recent blade (I have something similar) but the corrosion on the fullers look to be a bit deep so you'd want to take them out. From Mang Venn?

Joren
Croccifixio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2017, 02:41 AM   #7
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
Yes, a post-WW2 era piece.

I don't think the fullers were ever done correctly.

I believe sanding will be more than tedious and some dedicated tools would fare much better. If you can find a metal file of suitable diameter and bend it, that should help to even out and deepen the fullers; that would certainly help to make this kris more attractive.

Regards,
Kai
Yes one could; but then you would be altering the blade to something other than the way it was originally made.

I sent a very nice kris off to someone for etching and for some reason they changed the tip to an acute point from its original semi rounded configuration.

I wasn't at all happy about that.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2017, 04:23 AM   #8
Pinoy Blade Hunter

what can you say about the one with the fuller versus the one without?

which one do you estimate is older?
which one is better made?
which one could be of better value over time?

fuller:
spring tempered bendy, nice ringing sound when hit
longer and wider
fuller is crude
brass fittings

non fuller:
better carvings on the ganga
more rigid. not very bendy
aluminum baca-baca (stirrups) brass collar

i am asking because i am thinking of letting go of one and keeping the other. thanks!

PBH
Old 6th July 2017, 07:47 AM   #9
kai

Wink

Hello Rick

Quote:
Yes one could; but then you would be altering the blade to something other than the way it was originally made.
The uneven fullers are not traditionally done - it is quite obvious that this is merely sloppy workmanship and that they were left in a rather crude state. I'd not suggest any improvements if it was an antique blade with perceived shortcomings: these might be part of the history of the piece and reflect the financial abilities of the original owner and capabilities of the local smith. However, this is a modern piece with no hint that it was ever intended for real use; arguably it probably wasn't crafted on order for personal use but most likely produced for future customers, quite possibly for selling to a souvenir shop or, at best, at a market. I don't think a current owner who understands the aesthetics of traditional Moro culture is obliged to keep such a piece in its sorry "original" condition.

Quote:
I sent a very nice kris off to someone for etching and for some reason they changed the tip to an acute point from its original semi rounded configuration.

I wasn't at all happy about that.
I bet. I'd guess that they were working on a piece that is not part of their own culture; often it is very tough to work with traditional artisans if pieces/styles are not known to them.

Obviously, any qualified restaurateur should always work with their client and communicate any suggested changes beforehand (most would argue that changes that can't be reversed are unacceptable, anyway).

Regards,
Kai
Old 6th July 2017, 07:55 AM   #10
kai

Wink

Hello Joren,

Quote:
You can roll up low grit sandpaper to clean out the fullers (can go as low as 80). Use them dry. Then once clean go up to 200 with wet. This is a promising recent blade (I have something similar) but the corrosion on the fullers look to be a bit deep so you'd want to take them out.
It is possible to do this with sandpaper (and, yes, start out with very coarse grit, indeed!). However, I believe the crude fullers were left unfinished (rather than later pitting) and it will be very tedious work to do with rolled sandpaper...

Regards,
Kai
Old 6th July 2017, 08:06 AM   #11
kai

Hello Alan,

Quote:
which one do you estimate is older?
which one is better made?
which one could be of better value over time?
Hands down the smaller one (without fullers) on all accounts!

Quote:
non fuller:
better carvings on the ganga
My main reason; also tip of the blade with the correct angle (not applicable for straight blades).

Quote:
more rigid. not very bendy
Traditional blades tend to be rigid (and sturdy); not crafted from spring steel...

Quote:
aluminum baca-baca (stirrups) brass collar
The aluminium may be mildly annoying - traditional would be yellow brass (or, mostly, silver for really old ones of average quality and beyond).

I'd keep this one as is though.

For developing your collection, go for real antique kris even if this means shopping in the US...

Regards,
Kai
Old 7th July 2017, 01:04 PM   #12
F. de Luzon

Looks like a growing collection.
F. de Luzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2017, 02:23 PM   #13
Pinoy Blade Hunter

Thank you guys.

as for the fuller, i wont be doing anymore sanding or filing, it may be more trouble than its worth.

Kai, thank you for your insights, at first i thought the one with the fuller would be more valuable because of the laminations and spring temper and the brass fittings.

buying from the USA may be a possibility down the road. if funds allow.

Joren, the one with the fuller was not from Mang Ven but his son's shop.

F de Luzon, yes it is a growing collection but i am experiencing birthing pains hahaha. I may be acquiring duds or non worthy pieces. must study more.

thanks everyone!