Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 13th March 2018, 07:18 PM   #1
Treeslicer

Default What species of Philippine bolo is this?

This is currently on the way to me. To my eye, it "looks good", but can anyone recognize the type? It seems to have a mix of characteristics, and I'm no expert on these, anyway.
Attached Images

Treeslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2018, 07:43 PM   #2
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hi TS:

Need more pics for this one, especially the hilt. From this one dark pic it does not look very old. Is the edge V-ground or a chisel grind?

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2018, 08:56 PM   #3
Treeslicer

I'll take some when it gets here. I boosted the "fill flash" on the full view. At least it looks like it'll cut brush pretty good, whatever it is.
Attached Images

Old 28th March 2018, 05:16 PM   #4
ACP

They call it a talibon sir. It is a kind of bolo used in the Eastern Visayas. I have a couple in my collection. The characteristic shape is taken from the curvature of the seahorse's belly. Used mostly for combat, it was modified to be used as a game sword to cut grass and later when the animal was caught, to cut the carcass
ACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2018, 12:13 AM   #5
Treeslicer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACP
They call it a talibon sir. It is a kind of bolo used in the Eastern Visayas. I have a couple in my collection. The characteristic shape is taken from the curvature of the seahorse's belly. Used mostly for combat, it was modified to be used as a game sword to cut grass and later when the animal was caught, to cut the carcass
Thanks. I was hoping that someone from the area might chime in. I thought that the Visayan talibon usually has a straight or concave back, rather than a convex hump, or Bowie profile, like this one does. Is this a specific variety of talibon?

Edit-- Now having the weapon in hand, it's right side chisel ground, and is differentially hardened.

Last edited by Treeslicer; 29th March 2018 at 05:44 AM.
Old 29th March 2018, 08:56 AM   #6
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeslicer
I thought that the Visayan talibon usually has a straight or concave back, rather than a convex hump, or Bowie profile, like this one does. Is this a specific variety of talibon?

Edit-- Now having the weapon in hand, it's right side chisel ground, and is differentially hardened.
Hello Treeslicer,

in this case, I mean that it has on one side a chisel ground, ACP is correct, it's indeed a talibon. Very unusual with the clipped point.

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2018, 05:28 AM   #7
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Default Western Visayan (?) talibon

Hi TS:

I'm just catching up with your added pictures. Others have pointed to this being a somewhat unusual talibon from the Visayas. The slightly clipped blade and the atypical hilt suggest that this one is not from its usual place of origin in the Eastern Visayas (Samar, Leyte, etc.) but is probably a Western Visayan form. The "eared" pommel resembles some of the 20th C. pommel versions of sundang, tenegre, etc. from Panay. Clipped blades are also more common in the Western Visayas. The chisel grind to the blade pretty much says it is Visayan in origin, although there are blades from Bicol and Batangas with chisel grinds too.

Ian
Old 4th April 2018, 09:49 AM   #8
Robert
EAAF Staff

Quote:
The chisel grind to the blade pretty much says it is Visayan in origin,
I sorry and maybe it is just my eyesight getting worse in my old age, but I do not see a chisel edge grind on this blade. I do however believe that this piece could very easily be from Bicol or Batangas.

Best,
Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2018, 10:24 AM   #9
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeslicer
... Edit-- Now having the weapon in hand, it's right side chisel ground, and is differentially hardened. ...
Robert, Treeslicer has indicated there is a chisel grind based on direct observation. Ian
Old 4th April 2018, 07:09 PM   #10
Treeslicer

Starting to crop and shrink photos to fit the BB software's constraints. Apologies for the poor quality (by my standards, anyway).

I hope you can see that the edge slopes on the front side, but not on the back.
Attached Images

Old 4th April 2018, 09:03 PM   #11
Treeslicer

More views.
Attached Images

Old 30th July 2019, 07:06 PM   #12
Sajen

Compare! http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...hlight=visayan
Attached Images

Sajen is online now   Reply With Quote