Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 16th May 2020, 07:03 PM   #1
drac2k

Default Mexican Espada Machete Sword

When I first saw this listing, it was posted as a "Mexican Fantasy Sword," however it seemed to be a notch above the tourist items one usually sees coming out of South and Central America and it more closely resembled the German and Collins made swords of the 1890s and 1900s.
I then looked up the maker and found out that his family had been making swords for approx. 234 years in Mexico and that Poncho Villa carried a sword made by A.Argon.This sword was made by Austreberto Argon with the address of J.P. Garcia 18, Oaxaca; the family moved there in approx. 1915.
Austreberto Argon died in 1955 and so I am guessing that my sword was made between 1915 and 1955, probably in the 40s or 50s because of the aluminum guard. It is a beautifully made, well balanced, sharp sword, with a well defined detailed pommel, reptile skin handle with wire coupled with a fantastically embroidered scabbard.
If anyone can confirm or correct my guesses, and add any information, I would appreciate it.
Attached Images

drac2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2020, 10:03 PM   #2
Rich

That is a beautiful sword. I wouldn't call it a machete by any means. To me it is a fancy dress sword. Great find.
Rich
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2020, 10:05 PM   #3
drac2k

Thanks Rich.
Old 17th May 2020, 07:50 AM   #4
Sajen

Agree with Rich, a beautiful sword! I personally would polish up the aluminium pommel to show the nice work better.

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2020, 09:14 AM   #5
kronckew

Typical southern México (Oaxaca) probably like mine, made by A. Aragon, Oax, the grip/guard is their style. The etched blade & fancy scabbard is also typical. They still make them there in Acapulco. see:

http://myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.14851.html.
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=14327
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/printthread.php?t=7485

(If you see the nasty photobucket watermark on the images, it's because I cancelled my account when they wanted an exorbitant fee. Right-click it and select 'View Image'. )

More info:
Aragón, Armando
Casa Aragón is one of the oldest cutleries from Mexico that still makes knives in the southern state of Oaxaca. This business goes back to 1750 when the great great great grandfather of the actual owner, Guillermo Aragón, founded the cutlery in the city of Ejutla in Oaxaca. They forged swords (actually machete-swords) greatly appreciated because of their resistance and cutting capacity and also because they were extremely flexible. Back then, they used carbon steel and nowadays they use 420 stainless steel made in Saltillo, Cooahuila (also in Mexico).

Mine: Blade is not the more typical one like yours. (they use machete blades). Sadly mine lacks the cool scabbard. Modern ones are stainless steel, older ones made from working machetes are carbon steel, and usually chromed.
Attached Images

Last edited by kronckew; 17th May 2020 at 09:34 AM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2020, 01:47 PM   #6
drac2k

Once again thanks to all for the comments and Kronckew for the wealth of information! I think your blade is older and a rarer form of a Mexican blade.
It has a curious inscription on the blade, typical of Argon swords, loosely translated "when this vibrating itches there is no remedy for apothecary."
Old 20th May 2020, 10:25 PM   #7
BAW

The scabbard, which is designed to be slung to a saddle, is decorated with "piteado" embroidery, so-called from the use of maguey plant fiber, or "pita" as the thread. It is a traditional Mexican art and is very expensive to produce, as it is very time-consuming. A piteado belt, for example, could easily take a skilled artisan a week to make. Piteado work is considered a luxury or prestige item in Mexico. Incidentally, many piteado items produced today are decorated with marijuana leaf motifs, images of AK-47s and other tools of the drug trade, since drug lords and their soldiers are some of the few people in Mexico who can afford them.
In Mexican Spanish "vibora" means snake or more specifically rattlesnake. A good translation of the etched motto could be "When this snake bites you there is no remedy at the apothecary shop."
BAW is offline   Reply With Quote