Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 8th August 2018, 08:19 PM   #1
Edster

Default Need German Language Help re Kaskara

I need the help of a German reader to help identify the subject of a lithograph in
Zeitschrift fur Ethnologie Vol. 11 in German (Journal of Ethnology, Vol. 11, 1879). Who was attired this way in 1879, Eastern Sudan?

I think it relates to a two part article by Robert Hartmann on “Die Bejah”. I think it describes various Arab tribes in East Central Sudan, but cognates only got me so far. Part one starts on p. 117 per the TOC, but p. 133 in the text. Part two is p.195/213. I'd also appreciate summary of any commentary relative to arms and armour (mainly swords) discussed.

Here's the link to Part 1
https://archive.org/stream/zeitschri...berl#page/n131

Link to Part 2.
https://archive.org/stream/zeitschri...berl#page/n211

The warrior is here or on p. 943 and identified as Taf. III
https://archive.org/stream/zeitschri...berl#page/n941

Thanks for your help,
Ed
Attached Images

Edster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2018, 06:34 PM   #2
corrado26

It will certainly not be a too big problem to find somebody in Germany who can read these pages but it will be a big problem to find somebody who is able to understand this oldfashioned and partly very peculiar German and at last to translate these pages because this needs a great deal of special knowledge. I tried to find answers to your questions concerning the arms of the tribe of Bejahs but could find no exakt statement.
corrado26
corrado26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2018, 08:11 PM   #3
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrado26
It will certainly not be a too big problem to find somebody in Germany who can read these pages but it will be a big problem to find somebody who is able to understand this oldfashioned and partly very peculiar German and at last to translate these pages because this needs a great deal of special knowledge.
Sadly I have to agree with Corrado, it's an old fashioned language, I've read a few pages in the morning, when I understand and remember correct there was an academic disagreement between ethnologist if specified nomadic groups could be called "Bejah", somewhat in this direction since I've cross read it but it was only an indroduction about what he will tell later in the book so I assume that you have to read nearly all, understand everything correct, will be able to tell it in short good translated! It will be a challenge!
I don't know if I find the time to read more, sorry.

Regards,
Detlef

Last edited by Sajen; 10th August 2018 at 04:16 AM.
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2018, 03:40 AM   #4
Edster

Corrado26 and Detief, thanks for your interest and effort. I know nothing of German and didn't realize it was written in so old fashion language. I'm writing an analysis of kaskara cross-guard types (plan to post on EAA) and am mainly interested in the identification of the cloth armored horseman in the lithograph. He could be carrying an early example of the kaskara and I'd like to know his origin and any comments about him. The other info on the Arab tribes of the area would just be gravy, and I don't really "need" a translation of it.

Thanks again,
Ed
Edster is offline   Reply With Quote