Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 13th February 2008, 03:59 PM   #1
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Default Scottish basket hilts and edged weapons

Over the years there has been occasional mention in discussion of certain Scottish weapons such as the sgian dubh or the Scottish dirk, with several instances of the distinct Scottish basket hilt sword brought in as well. In the comprehensive study of ethnographic edged weapons, those of Scotland are distinct and intriguing, yet are typically not included in this category, and examples of the weapons as well as information on them are equally difficult to find.

It has many years since I actually worked on any research on these, and recently I have become interested in learning more on the development, history and identification of these fascinating weapons. I am hoping everyone might join here in a study of these weapons that will bring together the knowledge and research skills of the membership and readers in learning together about them.

One of the most intriguing of Scottish edged weapons, to me, is the famed basket hilt sword. It is generally held that these fully developed basket guards most likely evolved from similar hilts in North Europe, as well as basket type hilts in England, though the exact progression seems unclear. In the identification of the Scottish hilts, there seem to be two primary forms, named for regions of production; the Glasgow hilt and the Stirling hilt. Naturally, there are numerous variations, and I would like to learn more on the key identifying features of these hilts.

Another feature that is fascinating about the Scottish basket hilt is the symbolism incorporated into the elements of the hilt itself. Often in the saltire plates, there are designs pierced as well as geometric devices inscribed, which in many cases are believed to be the secretive symbolism of the Jacobites, faithful to the Stuarts. It would be most interesting to discuss these symbols, the designs with imbued symbolism constructed into the hilts themselves (such as the 'S' in Stirling hilts) .
The shape, and designs on the pommels would also prove interesting in identifying and dating these hilts.

We have often discussed the prevalent use of trade blades in previous threads, and the basket hilt swords of Scotland are a key case in point. The blades of these swords seem to be predominantly from Germany, though many carry spurious inscriptions and names of Spanish makers. One of the most curious mysteries in the history of famed swordmakers is of course that of Andrea Ferrara, which appears on a majority of Scottish blades, and I would like to address that case as well.

With this being the basic outline for the course of the thread, I hope we can establish an initial guide to the study of the basket hilts, and learn more on some of the associated topics I have mentioned. I know that a number of members have Scottish basket hilts (very nice examples as I recall!) and hope they will join in posting these.
Mr. Paul MacDonald of Edinburgh, who as many here will know, is an outstanding authority and restorer on these Scottish basket hilts, and who has joined us recently on a concurrent thread, has indicated he will join us here in discussion. Mr. MacDonald, as many are probably also aware, did the restoration on what is undoubtedly one of the most historic of these Scottish basket hilts, that of the Scottish hero Rob Roy MacGregor.

I very much look forward to learning more on these weapons, and as always, to the great discussions that bring together the outstanding knowledge that is proudly hallmarked here with all of you.

With very best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote