Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 28th April 2011, 03:13 AM   #1
Gavin Nugent

Default Hand Harpoon

I thought some tribal club collectors might like to view this form.
It is a canoe hunting harpoon that by design doubles as a gaf when required and would certainly make for a nasty club if whacked with it.
Attached Images

Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2011, 04:59 PM   #2
Tim Simmons

This looks very much like work from the Solomon Islands. The pointy end is a classic terminal to club and dance staff ends. It looks reletively light but along with big heavy club armed warriors you would need faster lighter clubs working in the mix. The carving is very nice, superb placing of all the elements that make the club. Here is a picture of a form from the same inspiration. "Solomon Island art, The Conru Collection"
Attached Images

Last edited by Tim Simmons; 1st May 2011 at 07:10 PM. Reason: SPELLING
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2011, 02:21 PM   #3
Gavin Nugent

Default Indeed you are correct

Hi Tim,

Indeed you are correct with the origins, it was collected from the region.

It is a lighter piece but very strong.

I suspect more of a harpoon than a club as the lobes are not on the right angle for any impact advantage, actually I feel they would break with a hard club like strike, you'd be better off with a simple lobe, much stronger and more effective...however, the flared tip near the barbs fits solid and comfortable in the palm of your hand for a good tight grip, with the other hand as a guide this is a super effective stabber....

Gav
Old 2nd May 2011, 05:05 PM   #4
fearn

Hi Gav,

There are a couple of possibilities here. One is that it originally had two spear heads, but that the one in front of the barbs broke and was rounded off.

The other possibility is that it's a spear on one end and a carrying hook (or similar) on the other. I've seen one of those from Hawaii.

F
fearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2011, 06:44 PM   #5
Tim Simmons

Some pictures to illustrate the typical pointed terminal. The club with the inlay is listed as a dance club in "shields of Melanesia" the two on the black background are from the publication mentioned earlier in this topic. The one on the white background is also from "shields of melannesia" These and similar clubs are most often called parrying or shield clubs but are also used in dance as seen in the link. Perhaps this too is a form of dance staff ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjD9k...eature=related
Attached Images

Last edited by Tim Simmons; 2nd May 2011 at 07:03 PM.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2011, 06:06 PM   #6
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

HERE ARE SOME PICTURES OF A SIMULAR ITEM, SAID TO HAVE BEEN COLLECTED BY FRANZ WERNER IN 1959 IN THE RENNEL ISLANDS, SOLOMONS. IT IS 35INCHES LONG. A INTERESTING FORM BUT LIKELY MORE OF A STATUS OR CEREMONIAL ITEM AS THERE ARE A LOT BETTER CLUBS FOR FIGHTING.
Attached Images

VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2011, 11:36 PM   #7
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANDOO
HERE ARE SOME PICTURES OF A SIMULAR ITEM, SAID TO HAVE BEEN COLLECTED BY FRANZ WERNER IN 1959 IN THE RENNEL ISLANDS, SOLOMONS. IT IS 35INCHES LONG. A INTERESTING FORM BUT LIKELY MORE OF A STATUS OR CEREMONIAL ITEM AS THERE ARE A LOT BETTER CLUBS FOR FIGHTING.
Spot on Barry, the 'club' I presented was also gathered mid 20th century from the Rennel Island group by a cadet (naval I am guessing).
Looking at this one, status may well be what they are as in the hand, fighting isn't a key factor and by the form of this one, it would be hard to draw paralells with a harpoon that I considered mine as....Cheers!

Gav