Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 8th June 2006, 02:37 PM   #1
katana

Default Congo scarification knife... which Tribe?

A scarification knife from the congo, 11.5 cms long, no markings but, I thought a interesting piece. Is scarification still carried out in Tribal communities? Wondered if anyone had any idea as to the Tribal source?
Attached Images

katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2006, 07:20 PM   #2
Tim Simmons

Hi David,

Why do you call this a scarification knife? to me it very non-knife like. There is a thread somewhere, that has pictures of the process. This looks more like a currency unit. I think it is a very nice little item but has nothing to do with scarification. I will see with my limited abilities if I can bring the thread forward.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2006, 08:22 PM   #3
katana

Thanks Tim, this item, was sold to me as a scarification knife, I have seen something similar use to scarify tribal members (in Africa) during a documentary.
I do not have the item, as yet, so really cannot comment further. However, once I receive it, handling it may provide further answers.
Old 8th June 2006, 09:27 PM   #4
nechesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons
Hi David,

Why do you call this a scarification knife? to me it very non-knife like. There is a thread somewhere, that has pictures of the process. This looks more like a currency unit. I think it is a very nice little item but has nothing to do with scarification. I will see with my limited abilities if I can bring the thread forward.
Hey Tim, you my well be right as i know little about this, but isn't scarification tradition to several African (as well as Australian aboriginal) cultures. The knife used by different cultures might very well be different, so i'm not sure the pictures in the thread you speak of necessarily knock this example out of the catagory. Knife-like or not, if it is sharp and pointy it can probably do the job.
nechesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2006, 09:36 PM   #5
Tim Simmons

That may well be the case. I would imagine the process is rather intimate and requires some delicacy and if not precision quick and decisive cuts so looking at the example shown to us it looks more like a butchers tool .
Old 8th June 2006, 09:46 PM   #6
nechesh

Did you note that it is only 11.5 cm long? That would make the blade section less than 4 cm. Not really all that large. AFAIK the process is often done by pulling up the flesh with a hook-like implement and then slicing the flesh. I would say that if this "knife" is sharp enough it could well do the job.
nechesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2006, 10:06 PM   #7
Flavio

Hello, this is for sure a blade for scarification. Attached is a picture from Fischer/Zirngibl Afrikanishe Waffen were you can see a similar blade like the one of Katana. I have also a book in Italian where there is a very similar example and tomorrow i will post a picture (unfortunatly is only attribuited to Congo in general no tribe, but it was collected in 1907).
Attached Images

Flavio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2006, 10:10 PM   #8
katana

Thats fantastic, thanks for the info. Flavio , looking forward to seeing the other picture.
Old 8th June 2006, 10:21 PM   #9
Tim Simmons

Yes I see what you mean. I still see it just a little clumsy compered to the ones I have and the one in the thread mentioned, which all have a curve to the cutting edge, so as to quickly nick the skin, this seems to lack that but it could well be. At 11cm it would not be a high value currency unit but you need small monies as much as large ones. I think the cross section may have some baring on the matter as this is reflected in the more proper weapons of the region. So this strikes me as a miniature representation of them. Just another puzzle from Africa.
Old 8th June 2006, 10:22 PM   #10
Tim Simmons

Well done Flavio!!
Old 9th June 2006, 04:20 PM   #11
Mapico1

Hi,it is a scarification knife also used as razor probably from the Kuba in Kongo.I collect this type of knives and have many.
Mapico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2006, 04:55 PM   #12
katana

Thankyou for the information Mapico, I was told that the Congo was the source of this knife. I appreciate it is difficult to say exactly which tribe this would be associated, but at least the sugestion of the Kuba will help me to find out more information.
Old 9th June 2006, 05:41 PM   #13
Flavio

Hello guys, here are the pictures. The first shows three scarifications/tatoo blades: the first from right is very similar to the one of Katana (collected by the italian explorer Persano before 1907). The other picture shows some other blades: the first three from left come from the tribe Bikorņ (never heard before!) the others come from Kusu. The pictures are taken from book: LAME D'AFRICA (Marco S. Piccardi - Luciano Salvatici).
Attached Images

Old 9th June 2006, 06:42 PM   #14
katana

Thanks Flavio, that really is similar, are there any dimensions in the referance book you used?
Old 9th June 2006, 06:55 PM   #15
Flavio

Quote:
Originally Posted by katana
Thanks Flavio, that really is similar, are there any dimensions in the referance book you used?

Sure, sorry I have forgotten them: the lenght of the one similar to yours is 14,3 cm. The blades in the second picture are between 9,6 cm and 17,8 cm
Old 9th June 2006, 06:57 PM   #16
katana

Thanks Flavio
Old 10th June 2006, 06:55 PM   #17
Wodimi

Bikoro is a market town in the Democratic Republic of Congo, lying on Lake Tumba, south of Mbandaka. That means at least the first three knifes comes from the Mongo group.
If we can believe Westerdijk yours come north from this region, possibly from the Ngbandi or Ngbaka.
Attached picture is from Westerdijk: ijzerwerk van centraal-afrika.
Attached Images

Wodimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2006, 08:25 PM   #18
Flavio

Yeah Wodimi, you're right I have forgotten to see on the great book of Westerdijk!!! I'm becoming old!!!!
Old 11th June 2006, 10:51 AM   #19
katana

Thanks Wodimi, I never thought anyone could tie this knife with a tribe or region.
Old 17th June 2006, 12:11 PM   #20
katana

Received Knife, sits very well in the hand and with the thumb pressed into the 'thin neck', it gives excellent and accurate control of the blade, not cumbersome at all. 'Butcher's tool' ? maybe for the Lilliputions