Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 31st December 2023, 02:25 PM   #1
Cotoroanta

Default Ear-Dagger ???

Hello and with respect I have this ear dagger in my collection for a time but I want to know if it is authentic and in what period is made and what country. It have the letters R and A on a side and on the other a curios thing is the sator cube. Thank you for you’re reponse
Attached Images

Old 31st December 2023, 10:03 PM   #2
Montino Bourbon

Default i’m not an expert on this, but…

it looks like it has some wear on the handle. it might very well be old. If it is, it’s rare.
Old 1st January 2024, 12:48 AM   #3
Gavin Nugent

I'm seeing OK artistry, but I am not seeing a level of skill, materials, and execution for the type to consider this of the Moorish period though.

I feel at best circa 1900, at worst 1960s onwards.
Old 3rd January 2024, 02:17 PM   #4
milandro

OP has shown us a number of pieces lately, this, like the supposed " execution sword " , leaves me highly unconvinced.

The execution sword is embellished with a latin motto and this one has the so called " Sator Square"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sator_Square

an overly famous (I have one at home in a modern depiction) symbolic sign bearing the text SATOR AREPO TENET OPERA ROTAS, that can be read in many ways.

Although this symbolic " magic square" appears for centuries everywhere I don't see why it would appear on a dagger and the entire thing leaves me with the impression that the whole dagger ( or rather a Knife) has been cobbled together to deceive and look more impressive than what it is.

This is a modern piece in my opinion, made to be appealing and lure a possible buyer.

several threads recently started by this new member have been closed .

Almost all show pieces more or less crudely made which seem to be all " mysterious".

He may have a great talent to find the odd and Mysterious or there is something else going on
Old 3rd January 2024, 05:23 PM   #5
werecow

This piece, like all the others I've checked that the OP has posted, is currently on sale on a Romanian ebay clone. All the pieces are being sold by the same vendor, presumably the OP.
Closed Thread