Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11th July 2012, 03:54 AM   #1
apolaki

Default Is this an authentic Formosan Paiwan sword?

I got this while on my trip in Taiwan. Do you think its authentic or a tourist piece? Does anyone know if it is legal to ship swords from Taiwan to US or take on a plane in checked-in luggage? =) Thanks!!
Attached Images

apolaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2012, 06:13 PM   #2
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

I AM NO EXPERT ON THESE BUT BASED ON WHAT I HAVE SEEN OVER THE YEARS AND ON THIS FORUM. IT IS NOT TYPICAL OF THE TOURIST ITEMS AND CLOSER TO THOSE ACTUALLY USED BY THE NATIVE PEOPLE. DO A FORUM SEARCH FOR THESE AND SEND A MESSAGE TO ONE OF THE EXPERTS AND THEY WILL BE ABLE TO TELL YOU MUCH MORE.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2012, 09:14 PM   #3
KuKulzA28

Quote:
Originally Posted by apolaki
I got this while on my trip in Taiwan. Do you think its authentic or a tourist piece? Does anyone know if it is legal to ship swords from Taiwan to US or take on a plane in checked-in luggage? =) Thanks!!
Hi, seems like you made it to Taiwan safe and sound.

It looks like it definitely could be Paiwan. If it is Paiwanese, their blades are called "takit"... pronounced like "tjakit"... the tj sound I think is like the tj in Atjeh, otherwise spelled Aceh.

As for whether it's tourist or not, hard to say. It doesn't look quite like the tourist examples I've seen / owned, if that helps you at all.

You can have it in luggage but not your carry-ons.

Shipping is possible, but be careful and willing to risk loss... while Taiwanese postal service is usually very efficient - they are paranoid of sending blades in the mail. You are technically not allowed to. Easiest way it to put it in your luggage, check it in, and then pick up your luggage (and the blade) where-ever your final destination (home) is.
KuKulzA28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2012, 03:17 PM   #4
apolaki

Greetings,

Have you shipped a sword from Taiwan to another country before either by mail or in checked in luggage?
Old 12th July 2012, 03:48 PM   #5
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by apolaki
Greetings,

Have you shipped a sword from Taiwan to another country before either by mail or in checked in luggage?

I have had many times blades in my checked in luggage from Indonesia to Germany, never have had big problems, only one time I have to open it because the Indonesian customs thought that I have a mandau inside.
Don't think that you will have problems by this in Taiwan, maybe ask before.

Regards,

Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2012, 07:26 AM   #6
kai

Hello Detlef,

Why would a mandau have been special?

---

Regarding checked-in luggage, the airlines are only concerned with stuff that could be dangerous during the flight, e.g. explosives, poison, etc. You can check the international list of banned substances online and will have seen those posters at airports already. If not banned, you can check it in; actually this is the only economical way to ship long spears that are a pain with regular postal services.

The country of origin may have restrictions on what is allowed to take out of the country. Many countries don't allow export of antiques (sometimes only from their own cultures) but even if so, you can usually apply for exemptions if your piece is not a unique cultural icon (most run-of-the-mill antiques are often easy - just make sure to apply in advance with the respective authorities (if needed) before you go to the airport. In your case, the sword may not be antique?

Of course, you should know which restrictions may apply to the country of destination. Other than that, just make sure you pay any import taxes/fees upon arrival (report to the customs if unsure) and you're fine. (Since there are usually allowances, this is still cheaper than receiving a piece by mail.)

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2012, 01:58 PM   #7
apolaki

Greetings,

I am flying Eva Air from Tapei to LAX (Los Angeles) and then American Airlines..

From Eva Air website it says:

"There are items that cannot be transported onboard the aircraft in either your carry-on or checked baggage:

Dangerous goods that endanger the aircraft, persons or property onboard the aircraft:

9. Other dangerous articles such as magnetized material, offensive or irritating materials (such as knives, swords,offensive sticks,clubs,arrows,tear-gas,stun-gun etc.)"

=/

Is there another alternative, like Fed Ex?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
Hello Detlef,

---

Regarding checked-in luggage, the airlines are only concerned with stuff that could be dangerous during the flight, e.g. explosives, poison, etc. You can check the international list of banned substances online and will have seen those posters at airports already. If not banned, you can check it in; actually this is the only economical way to ship long spears that are a pain with regular postal services.

The country of origin may have restrictions on what is allowed to take out of the country. Many countries don't allow export of antiques (sometimes only from their own cultures) but even if so, you can usually apply for exemptions if your piece is not a unique cultural icon (most run-of-the-mill antiques are often easy - just make sure to apply in advance with the respective authorities (if needed) before you go to the airport. In your case, the sword may not be antique?

Of course, you should know which restrictions may apply to the country of destination. Other than that, just make sure you pay any import taxes/fees upon arrival (report to the customs if unsure) and you're fine. (Since there are usually allowances, this is still cheaper than receiving a piece by mail.)

Regards,
Kai
Old 13th July 2012, 08:27 PM   #8
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
Hello Detlef,

Hello Kai,

in Indonesia there are retrictions as well to take out antiques which are older as 50 or 70 years, I don't remember exactly but isn't realised stricly. I have taken out antiques every time I have been to Indonesia and it was the first time that they have controlled my blades visual and told me they thought I have mandaus in my luggage. I think it become harder by some things like mandaus or keris.

Regards,

Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote