Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 5th June 2007, 05:38 AM   #1
RomaRana

The top spear is a “Purkko Maasai type.” But that is not to say that only the Purkko Maasai use it.

I am preparing an in-depth explanation of spear typology and the cultural synthesis of Bantu sword and Maasai spear for you. I am away from home and my notes so it will take a few days for my reply.

Last edited by RomaRana; 5th June 2007 at 05:49 AM.
RomaRana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2007, 08:10 AM   #2
Tim Simmons

I have just accquired this very interesting spear. The seller described it as kikuyu. I am not sure this is the case. I think it may well be from the Congo. When it arrives I will show why. For the time being this picture will have to do.

Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2007, 12:55 PM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

It is well established that weapons do not necessarily remain within geographic boundaries nor tribal groups or cultural spheres. It is certainly possible, often even likely that though certain forms are associated with a certain tribe, a degree of them will be diffused to surrounding groups.

Roma Rana, I very much look forward to more on the spear typology and Bantu sword development. It seems any in depth discussion of these weapons is lacking here, though there have of course been occasional notes which I cant recall at the moment.

Tim, looking forward to your observations on that spear!!

All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2007, 09:56 AM   #4
Cogito

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaRana
The top spear is a “Purkko Maasai type.” But that is not to say that only the Purkko Maasai use it.

I am preparing an in-depth explanation of spear typology and the cultural synthesis of Bantu sword and Maasai spear for you. I am away from home and my notes so it will take a few days for my reply.
By "top spear" do you mean the one on the left side of the photos in post #5? If so, then it would appear that ALL of these are Maasai spears of different design? I had not expected this, very surprising indeed.
Cogito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2007, 06:38 PM   #5
Cogito

Since these 3 spears are all very different in length, weight, blade size, etc., would that be because they are meant to be used for certain specific types of hunting or game? Sort of like picking your shot size in shotgun shells depending on what you're expecting to shoot? Or would this just be the individual preference in that particular tribe or area?
Cogito is offline   Reply With Quote