Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26th August 2022, 04:09 PM   #1
Drabant1701

Default Getting something out of musket barrel.

When I get an old firearm I always check if there is something in the barrel to se that its not still loaded. I bought a moukala musket and when I checked there is 10cm of soemthing in the barrel, when i turned it upside down sand/gunpowder came out but not a lot. I do not look like gunpowder but smells like it. I tried tapping the barrel while holding it upside down but nothing came out. Then I put comressed air through the firing hole but nothing happened.
Do you have any good way to clear out whats in the barrel?
Thanks for reading.
Drabant1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2022, 04:36 PM   #2
GIO

Try with a corkscrew on a stick. There might be some paper inside.
GIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2022, 05:23 PM   #3
rickystl

Hi Drabant

I'll send you a PM.
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2022, 06:03 PM   #4
rickystl

Hi Drabant

It's good you check the barrels on these old muskets. Once in a great while one turns up to still have a load in the barrel.
You want to locate a metal or wood rod about 6 inches (15cm) longer than the barrel. Run the rod down the barrel to feel if it is soft (like paper, cloth, etc.)
If you push the rod further, and feels like something hard before reaching the end of the barrel, it could be a lead ball, indicating there is still a load in the barrel. The way they loaded many of their muskets back then was powder, ball (with no patching), and a wad of tow or flax pushed down on top of the ball to keep the ball seated on top of the powder. You can also use a piece of thin wire or a pipe cleaner and run it into the vent hole to determine if there's any evidence of black powder.

It could be just wads of paper, sand, or something that some kids did playing with it. But it could just as easily be a load still in the barrel.
Sent you a PM for further assistance.

Here is a load I pulled out of one of my Tanchika muskets one time.
Attached Images

Old 26th August 2022, 08:39 PM   #5
Drabant1701

Thanks Ricky for your very informative reply.
I tried to push a very small drill into the went hole but its totaly jamed, it would not go in even the smallest bit. I pushed arod down into the barrel, when its 10cm left until the end it stops. I does feel like it gives a little. Tomorrow i will fit a small drill to the rod and try to drill it out.
Would pouring some hot water in the barrel before help at all, or does it make it worse?
Drabant1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2022, 05:57 PM   #6
rickystl

Depending on what's in that bore, the hot water can make things worse. It just makes everything wet, without making it loose. Same with oil. If there is paper or cloth at the top, a small, bronze bristle brush, typically used to clean the bore of modern guns, can grip the paper/cloth and at least tear it into smaller pieces as you dig your way down to the bottom of the barrel.

The easy way to clear the barrel would be to locate a gun club in your area that has a member who shoots traditional muzzle loading firearms (assuming that's legal in your area). They will have the tools to extract the contents. Or know someone who does.

From your investigation of the vent hole, it sounds like there is something solid all the way to the end of the breech area. Hmmmm. But stay at the top and try working your way down. If it's determined there is no powder in the barrel, a solid obstruction at the breech doesn't necessarily devalue the musket as a collectors item.

In my photo above, I took a tiny pinch of the 100++ year ols black powder and it would still ignite.

Meantime, I'll check in my network for any member shooters in Sweden. Keep me posted.

Rick