Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 4th December 2022, 12:11 PM   #1
Drabant1701

Default An indian shamshir with a persian blade

I got this Indian shamshir not to long a ago. Its heavy (over 900grams) and 93cm long. I would guess it is ca 1800 and that the fittings are the original ones.

The blade appears to be persian and is made of good high contrast wootz. It is has a magic square and is signed assadullah isifani i think, I would rather it was signed something else since its the most used and least informative signare there can be on a blade.

Grip is leather on wood with gold applied over it, the end piece is missing on both sides so either it had a metal end piece or the wood extended all the way and has come lose. This seem to be a less common type of grip in India and I would not say it was an Indian sword based just on the grip.

But the crossguard is clearly made in India, it is gold over copper with flowers punched into the material. Almost all the gold is gone, I imagine the gold layer was very thin so that the flower would still show through. I would think its made in north India, Kutch has a lot of gold on copper with flowers attributed to it.

Its to bad that the condition is not so good and that the grip is damage and the scabbard is missing. I would have love to see it in its pride.

Any additional informations and or/and corrections of my assumptions would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images

Last edited by Drabant1701; 4th December 2022 at 02:05 PM.
Drabant1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2022, 11:06 PM   #2
ariel

Leather cover of handles was a trademark of Central Asian, especially Turkmen, shamshirs.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2022, 05:14 AM   #3
mahratt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel View Post
Leather cover of handles was a trademark of Central Asian, especially Turkmen, shamshirs.
This is somewhat of a misconception. Leather cover of handles was found in Afghanistan, and in the khanates of Central Asia, and even on the outskirts of Persia.
It is important to note that none of these regions used embossed leather decorated with gold on the handle. So, in my humble opinion, the Indian origin of this shamshir is beyond doubt.

By the way, Drabant1701, congratulations on the acquisition of a wonderful shamshir.
mahratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2022, 06:44 AM   #4
Battara
EAAF Staff

I love this. The wootz is amazing and the gold koftgari work is nice.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2022, 03:43 AM   #5
ariel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahratt View Post
This is somewhat of a misconception. Leather cover of handles was found in Afghanistan, and in the khanates of Central Asia, and even on the outskirts of Persia.
It is important to note that none of these regions used embossed leather decorated with gold on the handle. So, in my humble opinion, the Indian origin of this shamshir is beyond doubt.

By the way, Drabant1701, congratulations on the acquisition of a wonderful shamshir.
Regretfully, I failed to find examples of Persian shamshirs with leather-covered handles in the Khorasani’s book, in the Polish collections , in the Hales’ book or in any other source. Similarly, such covers were not described in the D. Miloserdov’s ( Mahratt’s) Russian article on the materials used for shamshir handles and in his book on Afghani weapons.

I would not be surprised to see Turkmen swords on the “ outskirts of Persia”, since it has a large border with Turkmenistan and large Turkmen minority population, or Tajik/Uzbek swords in Afghanistan with similarly extensive borders and large populations of Tajiks and Uzbeks ( there are ~4 times more Tajiks in Afghanistan than in Tajikistan) who resisted Russian occupation of their lands ( See Basmachi) and escaped to Afghanistan in the 192O-30s carrying their weapons.

Leather covers of shamshir handles were typical Central Asian features, not inherently Persian or Afghani. In the latter locations they are largely family heirlooms, last remnants of their national liberation movement.

Simillarly, I am unaware of any Indian shamshirs with leather handle covers .

Thus, I doubt we can define a shamshir with Persian blade and typical Central Asian leather cover of the handle as Indian.

Drabant, you got yourself an incredibly rare sword in excellent condition! Congratulations!

Last edited by ariel; 7th December 2022 at 04:01 AM.
Old 7th December 2022, 05:40 AM   #6
mahratt

Quote:
Regretfully, I failed to find examples of Persian shamshirs with leather-covered handles in the Khorasani’s book, in the Polish collections , in the Hales’ book or in any other source. Similarly, such covers were not described in the D. Miloserdov’s ( Mahratt’s) Russian article on the materials used for shamshir handles and in his book on Afghani weapons.

I would not be surprised to see Turkmen swords on the “ outskirts of Persia”, since it has a large border with Turkmenistan and large Turkmen minority population, or Tajik/Uzbek swords in Afghanistan with similarly extensive borders and large populations of Tajiks and Uzbeks ( there are ~4 times more Tajiks in Afghanistan than in Tajikistan) who resisted Russian occupation of their lands ( See Basmachi) and escaped to Afghanistan in the 192O-30s carrying their weapons.

Leather covers of shamshir handles were typical Central Asian features, not inherently Persian or Afghani. In the latter locations they are largely family heirlooms, last remnants of their national liberation movement.

Simillarly, I am unaware of any Indian shamshirs with leather handle covers .

Thus, I doubt we can define a shamshir with Persian blade and typical Central Asian leather cover of the handle as Indian.
"Just because we don't know something exists doesn't mean it doesn't exist" ©

I am very pleased that you follow my publications so carefully. But you probably forgot that the article "Typology of Shamshir handles" was written by me almost 10 years ago. Since then, I have had the opportunity to get acquainted with a large number of sabers from Afghanistan and Central Asia and their neighboring states.
I recommend at your leisure to leaf through my book "Edged Weapons of Afghanistan" to refresh your memory of what is published in it.
On page 123 (if my memory serves me right) you will find an example of a shamshir from Afghanistan with a leather-covered handle (I am posting a good photo of it in the topic).

Similar samples of shamshirs from Khorasan are also known (by the way, these sabers came from there in significant quantities to the Turkmen tribes).

In the khanates of Central Asia (Kokand, Khiva and Bukhara), the hilt was not covered with leather, as on the shamshir that I show and the magnificent shamshir that Drabant shows. In this region, a special cover made of soft leather (suede) was sometimes put on top of an ordinary bone or horn handle.
You are confusing the leather cover on the handle of the shamshir, which was really used in Central Asia, with the handle, on the surface of which the skin is glued.

I am very interesting, in connection with which are trying in almost any topic that affects Russia, are you trying to write information that 1) is not directly related to the topic under discussion, 2) distorts historical facts?
Either you do not know the history of the country from which you left many years ago, or for some reason you deliberately distort historical facts. In either case, it doesn't add a friendly feel to forum threads.
What I mean:
1) It is at least strange to write that "the Basmachi resisted the Russian occupation", speaking of the 1920-1930s. After all, since the end of the 19th century, the entire territory of Central Asia actually became part of the Russian Empire. You cannot "occupy" what is already yours. And, what is most curious, After the territories of the Turkmen tribes were conquered, there was no "resistance to Russian occupation" in the region. Moreover, those same Turkmens voluntarily served in the army of the Russian Empire.
Perhaps you simply did not know that the appearance of Basmachi in the region is associated with illiterate, and sometimes illegal and even criminal actions of soldiers and commanders of the Red Army, who in 1919-1920 forcibly tried to involve thenative people Central Asia in the World Revolution. At the same time, neither religious nor traditional features of the native people were taken into account.
2) It is difficult to call the Basmachi participants in the national liberation struggle (although in Uzbekistan the authorities are now trying to do this, trying to rally the population with the ideas of nationalism). It is impossible to talk about the national liberation struggle if society is divided into three parts: those who supported the Basmachi, opponents of the Basmachi (those who supported the Soviet government) and neutral people (they were in the majority).
3) Those Basmachi who fled to Afghanistan in the 1930s and remained there were overwhelmingly armed with modern (at that time) firearms (rapid-firing rifles), which they were supplied by emmisars from Great Britain, who actively supported the Basmachi. Undoubtedly, these Basmachi also had edged weapons (sabers and daggers). But by 1930, it no longer played a significant role.

In conclusion, I would like to ask you to post in the topic a few photos of shamshirs from Central Asia with "leather" handles. I think a good example in the topic will not be superfluous.
Attached Images

Last edited by mahratt; 7th December 2022 at 05:52 AM.
Old 7th December 2022, 05:22 PM   #7
ariel

I know full well that the Forum has very negative attitude to political discussions.
But we are discussing historical weapons here and history includes politics.

We cannot discuss Indian weapons without mentioning the roles and actions of British government or of EIC, the "Mutiny", Afghani weapons without mentioning the causes and aftermaths of British-Afghani wars , Philippine weapons without mentioning Spain and the USA, French in Indochina and North Africa, Britain in Arabia, Portuguese in India and Arabia, Mughals in South India etc, etc, etc.

By the same token, the consequences of different Russian governmental actions in the Caucasus and Central Asia need to be discussed to understand histories and weapons of those regions.

We obviously have very different views and you are entitled to yours. However, I would suggest you read the book by Paul Bergne " The birth of Tajikistan" and Richard Frye's " The heritage of Central Asia". Perhaps, they will add something to what you were taught at school.

Just one comment: unilaterally pronouncing that some other country taken by force becomes your permanent and inviolable property and then asserting that any anti-occupation (liberation) movement is illegal because " You cannot " occupy" what is already yours" is a non sequitur. We can see it even today in daily news.

On a lighter note, Monty Python had a skit in which pupils were forced to pray for the memories of soldiers who "died to keep China British":-)))
Old 7th December 2022, 07:16 PM   #8
mahratt

Quote:
I know full well that the Forum has very negative attitude to political discussions.
But we are discussing historical weapons here and history includes politics.

We cannot discuss Indian weapons without mentioning the roles and actions of British government or of EIC, the "Mutiny", Afghani weapons without mentioning the causes and aftermaths of British-Afghani wars , Philippine weapons without mentioning Spain and the USA, French in Indochina and North Africa, Britain in Arabia, Portuguese in India and Arabia, Mughals in South India etc, etc, etc.

By the same token, the consequences of different Russian governmental actions in the Caucasus and Central Asia need to be discussed to understand histories and weapons of those regions.

We obviously have very different views and you are entitled to yours. However, I would suggest you read the book by Paul Bergne " The birth of Tajikistan" and Richard Frye's " The heritage of Central Asia". Perhaps, they will add something to what you were taught at school.

Just one comment: unilaterally pronouncing that some other country taken by force becomes your permanent and inviolable property and then asserting that any anti-occupation (liberation) movement is illegal because " You cannot " occupy" what is already yours" is a non sequitur. We can see it even today in daily news.

On a lighter note, Monty Python had a skit in which pupils were forced to pray for the memories of soldiers who "died to keep China British":-)))
Definitely, history includes politics. But for some reason, it is with regard to the history of Russia that you are overuse "politics".

I am grateful for your recommendation to study the books by Paul Bergne "The birth of Tajikistan" and Richard Frye's "The heritage of Central Asia". But for your information, enough books on the history of Central Asia have been published in Russia. My views on the historical processes in the region were formed under the influence of these numerous sources. It is a pity that your views are limited to the school and the couple of books that you recommended to me.
Since we are talking about "the history of Central Asia", let me remind you that Britain sought to make the khanates its colony, similar to India, seeking to limit the Russian Empire in her southern borders. Although maybe you were taught that the British Empire sought to Central Asia to bring the "light of democracy" to native peoples?

I explained in sufficient detail your incorrect statements about the "history of Central Asia". Don't muddle the Russian Empire and Soviet Russia. Do not muddle the Basmachi, who oppose the ideas of Soviet Russia, with the people's liberators. People's liberators do not kill their fellow citizens and fellow believers because they do not agree with their ideas and do not want to support them. The Basmachi movement was not anti-occupation (liberation).
Those who stood at the head of the Basmachi movement belonged to the "top" of the rule of the khanates: these were former ministers, judges, religious figures and just very rich native people... The arrival of Soviet Russia threatened their power and wealth. Therefore, they took advantage of the mistakes of the representatives of the Soviet government and at first were able to attract a significant number of the native people to their side. Freeing the "common people" was the last thing they were interested in.
You should understand this period of the history of Central Asia a little deeper, not limited to English-speaking authors.

But enough about history and politics. Maybe let's go back to shamshirs? Will you show samples of shamshirs from Central Asia that you mentioned? I think it would be interesting in this topic for its further development.

Photos to understand the issue of leather (suede) covers for the handles of shamshirs in the khanates of Central Asia:
Attached Images

Last edited by mahratt; 7th December 2022 at 08:38 PM.
Old 8th December 2022, 04:28 AM   #9
ariel

Sorry to hear that your information about the history of Central Asia and The Great Game came only from Russian books.
Recommend Peter Hopkirk's "The Great Game", by far the best source. You might enjoy it: very detailed and fascinating analysis, reads like a thriller. Get it.
Till you read the above 3 books I withdraw from any further discussions of the subject. After that we can talk.
Old 8th December 2022, 10:46 AM   #10
mahratt

Quote:
Sorry to hear that your information about the history of Central Asia and The Great Game came only from Russian books.
Recommend Peter Hopkirk's "The Great Game", by far the best source. You might enjoy it: very detailed and fascinating analysis, reads like a thriller. Get it.
Till you read the above 3 books I withdraw from any further discussions of the subject. After that we can talk.
Are we done talking about politics? I am glad that you read not 2 books on the history of the region, but as many as 3. By the way, I cannot but agree with you. Hopkirk's book is really not bad. Although perhaps also a little biased. But this is normal, given that it was written by an English-speaking author I recommend that you still read Russian-speaking authors in order to be able to look at the historical processes in the region from two sides. Also, it will not be superfluous to get acquainted with the works of French and German researchers of the region. If you are interested in them, write to the PM and I will tell you their names.

However, let's get back to the subject by discussing this topic. Maybe you place in this topic photos of the Central Asian shamshirs that you spoke about at the beginning?
Old 8th December 2022, 11:30 AM   #11
mahratt

Persian shamshir with a handle covered with leather from the Metropolitan Museum of Art:

https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/30903
Attached Images

Old 8th December 2022, 12:54 PM   #12
Drabant1701

Many thanks all for your kind words. While browsing sold auctions at bonhams i found this sword with leather on wood and with gold applied in a similar manner as the subject sword. https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/18814/lot/46/
Attached Images

Old 8th December 2022, 12:59 PM   #13
mahratt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drabant1701 View Post
Many thanks all for your kind words. While browsing sold auctions at bonhams i found this sword with leather on wood and with gold applied in a similar manner as the subject sword. https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/18814/lot/46/
Great example, Drabant. Congratulations! In my opinion, you have found undeniable confirmation of the Indian origin of your shamshir.
The only pity is that Ariel will not please us with images of leather handles of shamshirs from Central Asia. I was so hoping to close the gaps in my knowledge on this subject.
Old 8th December 2022, 01:20 PM   #14
rand

Default Spine of Shamshir

Hello,

You have a wonderful Shamshir. I have one question, on the spine of the blade near the cross guard, can you see any folds in the steel? And if so, is there anything inlaid into the exposed fold?

Thanks,
rand
rand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2022, 05:03 PM   #15
Drabant1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand View Post
Hello,

You have a wonderful Shamshir. I have one question, on the spine of the blade near the cross guard, can you see any folds in the steel? And if so, is there anything inlaid into the exposed fold?

Thanks,
rand
There is a line all the way from the crossguard down to the tip along the back of the sword, it is filled with a silver like metal.
Old 8th December 2022, 08:01 PM   #16
kai

Question

Quote:
There is a line all the way from the crossguard down to the tip along the back of the sword, it is filled with a silver like metal.
Sounds like a quality blade!

Can someone comment on the quite rough inlay done for the cartouche?

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2022, 08:15 PM   #17
mahratt

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai View Post

Regards,
Kai
Hello kai

You write that the inlay is rough. Why do you think so? Can you show an example of "graceful inlay"? For example, is this cartouche inlay elegant?
Attached Images

Old 8th December 2022, 08:20 PM   #18
ariel

Quote:
A “crack” on the spine is the remainder of the upper junky layer of a wootz ingot. Sometimes it remains empty, but sometimes it is filled with a silver wire. The trick of forging the ingot into the blade is to bring this part of ingot to the middle of the spine. Usually this “crack” is no more than ~10 cm long. I have never seen it going all the way to the tip. This would be a sign of a superb bladesmith. Can you show it?
The “crack is very helpful if the blade was oxydized and the wootz pattern is no longer visible. Then one can be sure that polishing and etching will bring the pattern back.
Old 8th December 2022, 08:42 PM   #19
ariel

Quote:

Regards,
Kai
On the contrary: this is a very high quality inlay. Usually, the channels are just carved as straight lines. That’s why we often see inlays with lost wire segments.

This one is “zigzag-y” and its labor-intensive creation assures much stronger contact with the inserted wire. Yet another sign of a very high quality of work of the bladesmith.

Assadullah was regarded as THE best Persian badesmith, but the criteria were never defined. This blade, IMHO, would belong to the magical “Assadullah” class.
Old 8th December 2022, 08:43 PM   #20
Drabant1701

Quote:
A “crack” on the spine is the remainder of the upper junky layer of a wootz ingot. Sometimes it remains empty, but sometimes it is filled with a silver wire. The trick of forging the ingot into the blade is to bring this part of ingot to the middle of the spine. Usually this “crack” is no more than ~10 cm long. I have never seen it going all the way to the tip. This would be a sign of a superb bladesmith. Can you show it?
The “crack is very helpful if the blade was oxydized and the wootz pattern is no longer visible. Then one can be sure that polishing and etching will bring the pattern back.
I will take some photos of this weekend.
Old 9th December 2022, 12:37 AM   #21
kai

Red face

Thanks for responding, both!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahratt
Can you show an example of "graceful inlay"? For example, is this cartouche inlay elegant?
I really can't tell since your pic only shows pixels when blown up to a comparable size, sorry.

Regards,
Kai
Old 9th December 2022, 12:54 AM   #22
kai

Question

Thanks again, both!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
On the contrary: this is a very high quality inlay. Usually, the channels are just carved as straight lines. That’s why we often see inlays with lost wire segments.

This one is “zigzag-y” and its labor-intensive creation assures much stronger contact with the inserted wire.
I know this style of inlay. This specific version seems rendered more coarse than others in this general style (not necessarily implying bad quality - just wondering whether this might start to affect the reading comprehension); I may not have looked in detail at enough Persian cartouches though.

I understand that the highest quality inlay utilizes undercut channels (i.e. widening below the surface level) which helps long-time retention of gold hammered into it.

Quote:
Yet another sign of a very high quality of work of the bladesmith.
Was such inlay work actually done by the bladesmith himself or another artisan? Any differences between Persian workshops and other regions?

Regards,
Kai
Old 9th December 2022, 04:16 AM   #23
mahratt

Quote:
Thanks for responding, both!

I really can't tell since your pic only shows pixels when blown up to a comparable size, sorry.

Regards,
Kai
Attached Images

Old 9th December 2022, 04:19 AM   #24
mahratt

Quote:

Was such inlay work actually done by the bladesmith himself or another artisan? Any differences between Persian workshops and other regions?

Kai
I think it's quite difficult to answer your question. The fact is that, in my opinion, Persian craftsmen did not necessarily work in Persia and did not necessarily apply cartouches to "classic" Persian blades.
Old 9th December 2022, 01:51 PM   #25
Drabant1701

Quote:

Regards,
Kai
I dont really see the roughness, the picture is an extreme closeup if you hold the sword and look at it the cartouche appers to be made of solid lines. The style with the cartouche being made of smaller cut rather then solid lines seem rather common on persian blades from this time period.
I looked through Arms and Armor from iran looking at similar cartouches, and i my opinion this one is very well excecuted with the cuts being the same size and the with good symetry.
Old 13th December 2022, 08:26 PM   #26
rand

Quote:
The inclusion running down the spine is can be seen on better blades filled with silver or gold, gold being used in the best blades. Going down the entire spine would be unusual.

rand
Old 13th December 2022, 08:32 PM   #27
rand

Quote:

Regards,
Kai
As others have said, it is not "rough", the gold was originally thicker and was higher than the blade, it would have covered where the horizontal cuts are. It has worn off with time and scabbard wear to the wootz surface level. The style of the craftsman was most likely a Persian technique of inlay.

rand