Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 22nd October 2014, 04:53 PM   #1
CharlesS

Default A Fascinating Indian Shield....What is its Symbolic Significance???

I have recently been cleaning and studying this intricate mid 19th century Indian shield. The cleaning revealed a lot and also got me wondering a great deal about the symbolism of this shield.

The shield is made of two steel panels, heavily decorated in silver and gold koftgari. Pierced reinforcements, also heavily decorated in silver koftgari, separate the two panels.

There is a snake, or naga, resting its head on its tail separating the two pierced reinforcements. I believe I have read that this represents infinity or eternity in Hinduism....perhaps someone can add some info on this motif.

Along the outside panel of the shield brass animal figures, plated in silver, have been riveted to the shield. There are many different forms of animals in a variety of sizes, all facing in one direction, as if moving in a circle or cycle. Each animal has been carefully planned out, as cleaning revealed that each piece was preset with a gold koftgari outline that the animal figure fits into. This becomes particularly apparent with the loss of the tiger's tail in the one figure that is clearly one animal attacking or eating another....note the gold outline where the tail would have been before broken.

The silver and gold koftgari work alone is really fascinating...it's so full and extensive that the shield looks like, from a distance, that it is made of silver.
However, it is these animal figures moving in one direction and only at the bottom is one animal attacking/eating another that I find most fascinating.

Initially I had assumed this may just be a hunting scene on the shield, but now don't think it is at all, but perhaps something far more interesting. I can't help but wonder if this is a sort or representation of samsara, or the "cycle of life"...the hunter becoming the hunted and vice versa over an endless cycle.

I hope someone more familiar with these motifs, which I suspect are Hindu, can help us with this symbolism.

The shield is 17in. in diameter.

Thanks for any input!
Attached Images

CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2014, 10:44 PM   #2
RSWORD

I can't believe nobody has responded to this post even if just to say what a beautiful shield. It sure is a purty thang. I agree completely there is a ton of symbolism in this shield and hopefully look forward to additional comments/thoughts about that
RSWORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2014, 11:41 PM   #3
Battara
EAAF Staff

I will hazard a guess, having seen this in hand. These animals on one level seem to be animals seen on a hunt, which was a popular thing back then. Perhaps a sign of manhood, skill, and warriorship?
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2014, 11:23 AM   #4
Royston

That is one beautiful shield.

Interesting to see that the animals are made separately and riveted on.

I agree that hunting scenes are common on Indian arms. See the engraving on my zagnal.

Roy
Attached Images

Royston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2014, 03:39 PM   #5
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

THE ANIMALS REPRESENTED SEEM TO BE LEOPARD, JACKAL, RABBIT, BLACKBUCK AND HUNTING DOG. IT LOOKS LIKE A LEOPARD HAS CAUGHT A BLACKBUCK. NO TIGERS OR ELEPHANTS AS OFTEN SEEN IN INDIAN DESIGNS ESPECIALLY THOSE TELLING OF ROYAL TIGER HUNTS. BEAUTIFUL WORKMANSHIP AND PERHAPS IT DOES TELL A STORY? BUT I WOULD GUESS IT WAS MADE FOR SHOW NOT FOR ACTUAL USE. NO DOUBT THE SNAKE SYMBOLIZES SOMETHING AS WELL IF THERE IS A STORY BEING TOLD BUT IT MAY JUST BE A PRETTY DESIGN WITH ANIMALS RUNNING ON A FLORAL BACK GROUND, A BEAUTIFUL ITEM EITHER WAY.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2014, 10:51 PM   #6
Runjeet Singh

Hi Charles,

This shield has been bugging me all week, I have seen similar but couldn't remember where - well I had chance to go through my books, and found the one I had been thinking of, in fact there are at least three - all in the Royal Collection, at Sandringham.

Pics attached of one, they are described as blued steel, decorated with gold-damascening and riveted profile cut representations of wild animals; the field surrounded by four bosses encrusted with gold. Punjab province (Gujarat or Sialcot type) 19thC. Two are said to have been presented by H.H the Maharaja of Kapurthala, and a third presented by HH Maharaja of Bundelkhand. The latter said to be have an applied band of loop and knot pattern, which in my experience can be in the form of a snake.

Now we have a point of reference, and we all agree yours is a beautiful shield, we now need someone of authority to comment on any religious / symbolical significance there may lie in the design.

Hope that helps - Runjeet.
Attached Images

Runjeet Singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2014, 11:41 PM   #7
spiral

Further to Runjeets excellent post, recall & research, about Charles rather wonderful & rare shield.

There is a website that lists many items in the Royal collection.

The photos will magnify...

There actually 4 listed Maharaja of Kapurthala shields with riveted animals.

The Maharaja of Bundelkhand shield. Rather Different style but I love it!...

As an aside Here a link to the British royal familys kukris on the website.. . But the search function for anything will work from there...

Its a great website for collectors of many pieces... {Just type in Ruby, Ivory, sword whatever... Thieve got it all...}

spiral

Link to King & Queen of Englands favourite keeper kukri!
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2014, 11:45 PM   #8
spiral

If you right click the banned pics, click properties, click copy , then paste that in your browser address bar you will be able to see the images, that will help...

Shame its so complicated...... Guess that's the forum software?

Obviously I don't have the authority to directly & permanently copy them to this website...

spiral
Old 28th October 2014, 10:38 PM   #9
CharlesS

Thanks so much for the input on these guys. This should certainly square away the origins of the shield. I think mine is a little more complex than those shown, and likely larger.

Note, also, that mine lacks the central ornament in favor of a similar shape in koftgari.

This may very well be a hunting shield and perhaps I am reading too much into it, but I believe there is more symbolism there than hunting.

Hopefully we can learn more.

Thanks again for all the input and references.
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2014, 02:58 PM   #10
estcrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiral
If you right click the banned pics, click properties, click copy , then paste that in your browser address bar you will be able to see the images, that will help...

Shame its so complicated...... Guess that's the forum software?

Obviously I don't have the authority to directly & permanently copy them to this website...

spiral
I do not understand why you would have a problem posting some images.
Attached Images

estcrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2014, 09:48 PM   #11
A. G. Maisey

Charles, I have been following the comments in this thread, not because I have any interest in the shields shown, but because I do necessarily have a very high interest in symbolism, especially Hindu symbolism, by virtue of my interest in the keris.

Rather than use 5,000 words on the "shotgun" approach to your questions, I would like to suggest that you may care to investigate several things which I am certain will provide you with an answer:-

the place, nature and purpose of animals in the Hindu world view

the use of animals as vehicles for deities

the incarnations of deities

the use of animals in Hindu decorative art

For a long time books such as Dowson's "Classical Dictionary of Hindu Mythology", and Rao's "Elements of Hindu Iconography" have been amongst the premier references used to answer questions such as yours, but these days Dr. Google seems to be able to provide a fast, superficial understanding of things that 40 or 50 years ago would have used at least several days in a good reference library.
A. G. Maisey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2014, 11:46 PM   #12
spiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesS
Thanks so much for the input on these guys. This should certainly square away the origins of the shield. I think mine is a little more complex than those shown, and likely larger..

Thanks again for all the input and references.

Glad it was of interest..

Quote:
Originally Posted by estcrh
I do not understand why you would have a problem posting some images.
That's ok that you don't understand...

Perhaps you could post the rest of them as well...

you know the old saying about if you start a job?

Spiral
Old 30th October 2014, 02:31 AM   #13
estcrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiral
Glad it was of interest..

That's ok that you don't understand...

Perhaps you could post the rest of them as well...

you know the old saying about if you start a job?

Spiral
No really, are you afraid of something? Anyway my edited images are much better than the originals, unfortunately the very small size of images allowed here deminishes their usefulness but the museum (The Royal Colection) should be ashamed to post such bad images.
Attached Images

estcrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2014, 11:30 AM   #14
spiral

Quote:
No really, are you afraid of something? .
Stomach Cancer & sharks in the bath...

Quote:
Anyway my edited images are much better than the originals, unfortunately the very small size of images allowed here deminishes their usefulness but the museum (The Royal Colection) should be ashamed to post such bad images.
That's good thank you!

spiral