Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16th May 2007, 09:16 PM   #1
Tatyana Dianova

Default Indo Persian "Cobra" Sword

This one had ended on eBay:
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120113103430&ssPageNam e=ADME:B:EFE:2
This sword is quite rare and decorative. Your opinion please: is it only ceremonial (or maybe touristic) or a real thing?
Tatyana Dianova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2007, 10:04 PM   #2
Lew
(deceased)

IT'S THE REAL THING AND VERY RARE.

LEW
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2007, 12:36 AM   #3
katana

Very nice......I wonder how it would 'handle'.....would the widened blade near the hilt badly affect the balance? or enhance it?
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2007, 01:25 PM   #4
Jens Nordlunde

This ’Cobra’ sword is, like you write, very rare, but it is not from NW India/Afghanistan, it is from Deccan. The Afghan influence on the hilt could be from the times, when Afghans ruled in Bengal and a one or two other states to the south. As a type, this sword goes back about four hundred years, maybe even longer.

Here is a picture of another one from an exhibition catalogue.
Attached Images

Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2007, 03:01 PM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I agree with Jens, this example reflects of course the familiar paluoar form hilt of Afghanistan, however actually reflects influences of early Persian type hilts. The interesting decorative cowl that covers the upper blade to the hilt is similar to an example of Tibetan sword shown (if memory serves) in Donald LaRocca's "Gods of War" and probably appears in his new book on the weapons of Tibet. As Jens has pointed out, the weapons of the Deccan often carried features found in Bengal regions, where influences from Nepal and Tibet are also often found.

Best regards,
Jm
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2007, 07:35 AM   #6
ALEX

Very nice authentic sword indeed, and in complete and nice condition. Congrats to a buyer!!!
I have one question: the seller stated the following about the blade: "...the NON-damascus (typical for these) blade...".
How typical is it for these swords to be made of non-Damascus steel, and what would be a reason for not using Damascus? The very design of the blade suggests Damascus, isn't it? Have anyone seen Damascus or wootz Cobra sword?
ALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2007, 09:03 AM   #7
Jens Nordlunde

I don’t know why the seller wrote, that it is typical for these blades not to have a watered blade. The one I showed has a nicely watered blade.
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2007, 10:12 AM   #8
dralin23

hi alex!
thank you for your gratulation , it is realy an very good sword, and i´m happy that i´m the winner from these auction!!! if is an fine thing that i found some more informations to these sword at these sword forum!! (tatjana thank you!!) unfortunatly is my picture program out of order, when i can "repair" it, i send some more pictures from my sword collection to ask you and i hope you will tell me your opinions to these swords!
best wishes send you stefan
dralin23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2007, 06:50 PM   #9
Tatyana Dianova

Hi and welcome to the Forum!!!
Tatyana Dianova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2022, 07:23 AM   #10
dralin23

Default watered steelblades by an cobra sword

many years ago tatyana started a thread in which a cobra sword was presented. i had bought this sword from charles and his description said that the blade is not made of damascus steel as is usual with these swords.
in the subsequent discussion, the question arose as to why this was described in this way, or whether these swords would also be available with damascus blades. jens wrote that he had already seen such a sword and i also know that such a sword was described in the catalog of indian weapons in danish private collections.
here is an example of such a sword. it was recently sold at auction and the blade is made from a very fine wootz steel.
what i particularly like here is the fine gold inlay on the blade disc.
it would be interesting to find out what the writing on the disc means, whether it gives an indication of the year of manufacture and possibly the manufacturer or the owner. maybe someone can decipher that. In any case, it is a very nice example of this type of sword. I think that this is not a battle sword but rather a court sword or was worn with clothing, because I have not yet seen any reference to the use of such swords in old Indian drawings or sculptures. does anyone know more about it?
Attached Images

Old 19th October 2022, 05:53 PM   #11
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

As the discussion on these began in about 2007 (possibly earlier?) with Tatyana's example then, there has been notable discussion on them but as may be expected, it is hard to reach consensus on such an anomalous sword type. It seems that of course this is a symbolic sword and possibly connected to Hindu kings as referenced in the 'Nujum al Ulum in 16th c.

The Afghan style pommel on these is likely of course to derive from Pathan presence and influences in Kurnool and other minor Afghan principalities in regions and near Hyderabad.
Many of these have striated Vijayanagara type blades, but there are variations obviously for interpretations reflecting Bijapur art styles, Mughal motif and other as these were known in other areas as well as the Deccan.

Therefore it would seem that damascus blades might occur as well as others.

Whatever the case, an amazing example, congratulations Stefan!
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2022, 08:17 PM   #12
kai

Thumbs up

A superb example - congrats, Stefan!

Do I assume correctly that all gold work (on hilt & blade) is koftgari rather than inlay?

Looking forward to learning any insight from the inscriptions! (A good number of overlapping close-ups may help though.)

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2022, 06:00 AM   #13
dralin23

hello kai,
yes this i correct, it is not an true inlay work. these goldpattern is an koftgariwork.
i will try to make some better pictures from the disc, maybe someone could read and translate it. it would be very intresting.
thank you!!
Attached Images