Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 9th April 2017, 10:49 AM   #1
Athanase

Default Old Javanese Pedang

Hello,

Here is one of my latest acquisitions:
A Javanese pedang (West Java?) With a pamor blade and markings of the VOC (A VOC * 9 or 6 * VOC A?).
The handle is made of silver alloy.
The scabbard is made of wood covered with rattan with strips of brass and 2 coper coins of the VOC (1742 and 1793).
The scabbard seems to have undergone several old modifications: I suppose that originally the rattan covered the entire surface of the scabbard. It was subsequently entirely lacquered (even the coins, the brass bands and the silver handle).

I think this pedang dates from the first half of the 19th century but I would like to have your opinion on it.
Attached Images

Athanase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2017, 11:33 AM   #2
Sajen

Hello Athanase,

you have there a rare gobang from Sunda, West Java. See here: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ghlight=gobang and here: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...light=sulawesi
I personally would agree with your age guess. The lack cover will be from a previous owner, maybe shellack. In the upper part will has been a cover from red cloth but the less of the scabbard will has been covered with rattan. Nice catch!

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2017, 12:00 PM   #3
kai

Hello Athanase,

You got an old Sunda sword. Most of the extant examples seem to originate from the Preanger region (or Priangan/Parahyangan), a highland plateau which was kept fairly isolated by the Dutch since it was the major area for early colonial coffee plantations. At least in this region the name gobang has been used for this sword type.

Quote:
The scabbard is made of wood covered with rattan with strips of brass and 2 coper coins of the VOC (1742 and 1793).

The scabbard seems to have undergone several old modifications: I suppose that originally the rattan covered the entire surface of the scabbard. It was subsequently entirely lacquered (even the coins, the brass bands and the silver handle).
The coins are unusual - certainly a later addition since these scabbards were completely covered with rattan binding originally as you already noted.

If the lacquer dissolves in ethyl alcohol, it is most likely shellac and could be an older attempt to preserve the sword when it fell from use.

Quote:
I think this pedang dates from the first half of the 19th century but I would like to have your opinion on it.
The blade must be a tad older. Please clean it and take close-ups with better lighting; there should be at least one more number visible on both sides near the hilt. This will also help to establish whether this is a genuine VOC blade.

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2017, 12:29 PM   #4
kai

Thumbs up

Hello Detlef,

You typed faster again...

Quote:
In the upper part will has been a cover from red cloth but the less of the scabbard will has been covered with rattan.
There usually was a showy textile ring (with fine silver/gold wire) near the scabbard opening to allow for a belt attachment. This was placed over the rattan binding; however, since this area is prone to subsequent wear, many pieces have the rattan missing here.

BTW, a must-read on these swords is Maurice's nice work on gobang!

Regards,
Kai
Old 9th April 2017, 12:50 PM   #5
kai

Smile

P.S.: Here is another example with VOC blade sold by Gavin a good while ago.

Regards,
Kai
Old 10th April 2017, 10:06 AM   #6
Athanase

Thank you for all those informations.

I can not read a date on the blade because I can only distinguish 3 numerals.
I see: A VOC * 9 7 1
They're very spaced, and the space between 9 and 7 is strangely long.
On one side, between 9 and 7 there is a rust spot, perfectly circular, of the same size as the loop of the 9. If it were a "0 we would see: 1 7 o 9 with a 0 placed low and very small. The other solution is: 1 7 8 9 or 1 7 6 9 with the "o" would be the trace of an old 8 or 6
The 7 and the 1 are very worn. On one side of the blade the 1 has almost disappeared, one guesses only its base.

I think that the acid passages to bring out the pamor one makes disappear part of the date which should not be engraved deep enough.
Old 16th April 2017, 03:09 PM   #7
Athanase

Hello,

I had written my previous message with my memory. New observations (and new photos) show that I confused the 9 and the 6.
The date written on the blade is possibly 1796. But the 9 is very little visible on one side, and totally disappeared on the other side of the blade.
Attached Images