Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th July 2022, 05:13 PM   #1
Lead Snowstorm

Default Wheellock pistol for comments

Greetings all,

I recently acquired a wheellock pistol, stated to date from the first quarter of the 17th century. I’m still fairly new to these weapons, so let me know if there is more information than I’ve given that would be useful.

The full-octagonal barrel is just shy of 16 inches and is of approximately .60 caliber (15.2mm). The stock has some sort of old adhesive on the right side behind the lock, and a faint hairline crack along the spine of the grip behind the tang. The metal is freckled, but fortunately free of major pitting. The lock has beveled edges, and appears to be in functioning order with a spanner.

The auction house mentioned two markings on the barrel, one of which looked like “NS” and the other possibly an animal head - I think instead they are the Suhl hen and “SVL.”

As I say, all comments are most welcome and let me know if there is something more I can show or describe. Thanks!
Attached Images

Lead Snowstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2022, 11:22 AM   #2
corrado26

This is the typical Suhl wheellock pistol made in the years 1620/30 for Saxony or Poland.
corrado26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2022, 11:36 AM   #3
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Great, Udo .
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2022, 02:03 PM   #4
Lead Snowstorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrado26 View Post
This is the typical Suhl wheellock pistol made in the years 1620/30 for Saxony or Poland.
Awesome, thanks!

Another question for y’all - any recommendations or best practices for preservation of the wood? Most of the rest of my collection is 19th century Springfield weapons, and on those stocks I generally take the minimalistic approach to rubbing down the stock with pure tung oil when it appears thirsty, so to speak. But of course, that choice is a function of the original armory oil finish; I lack knowledge of what the typical stock finish was in the 17th century (I know some matchlock stocks from the period appear painted).

I do also have some microcrystalline wax at hand, Renaissance Wax. I have used it very rarely on wood, although it’s tricky enough to get off wood I make very certain it’s what I want to do first.

And just to be clear - never fear, neither sandpaper nor chemical strippers come near any of my old gunstocks!
Lead Snowstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2022, 03:51 PM   #5
Raf

Please leave it alone.
Raf is offline   Reply With Quote