Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 10th February 2011, 06:30 AM   #1
Gavin Nugent

Default Holstein

A question for those who have a copy of both volumes of P Holstein, Contribution A L'etude des Armes Orientales.

What I'd like to know is if other copies are found in the same state/format.
These are large volumes but when opened, each page is not cut from the next one at the top and in effect you can't open the pages properly, only peek inside but still view the full content.
As these have remained like this for the last 80+ years if originals, (although I feel they are very early reproductions), I am reluctant to run the ole letter opener through them at this moment and seek clarity on these works.

thanks in advance

Gav

Last edited by freebooter; 10th February 2011 at 06:41 AM.
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2011, 08:55 AM   #2
VVV

Hi Gav,

That was the usual state of books in those times. Not opening it is like not removing the plastic from a DVD. The biggest problem for us collectors is however which of our knives to use when we cut the pages.

Michael
VVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2011, 09:04 AM   #3
kai

Hello Gavin,

I've even found a lot of unread books like this in libraries!

However, I'd suggest to try to get professional help from a bookbinder rather than cutting the pages individually (tedious and prone to ripping or cutting into the pages); with the correct equipment, this can be done in a minute or two.

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2011, 09:05 AM   #4
Maurice

I would take one of your Kelling Hall rencongs to open it Gav!
Perfect shape for doing so!

Maurice
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2011, 10:15 AM   #5
Gavin Nugent

Default Thanks Chaps

Thanks Chaps, your insight is appreciated!
Old 10th February 2011, 01:29 PM   #6
Norman McCormick

Hi Gav,
A book in this state is termed 'unopened', pages that have ragged edges are termed 'uncut'. This is normal for books of a certain age, it was cheaper to print several pages of text on the one sheet of paper and fold it to fit the book format and of course cheaper to leave it 'unopened'. Unless you wish to keep the volume as a 'collectable' in its own right open the pages with a suitable knife. I dabbled in books a long time ago and the only thing left is a mint 1st Ed of Winnie the Pooh I gave my wife as a present, I wish I could go back as I suppose we all do, if only we knew then what we know now.!!!!!
Regards,
Norman.
Norman McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2011, 01:43 PM   #7
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman McCormick
Hi Gav,
A book in this state is termed 'unopened', pages that have ragged edges are termed 'uncut'. This is normal for books of a certain age, it was cheaper to print several pages of text on the one sheet of paper and fold it to fit the book format and of course cheaper to leave it 'unopened'. Unless you wish to keep the volume as a 'collectable' in its own right open the pages with a suitable knife. I dabbled in books a long time ago and the only thing left is a mint 1st Ed of Winnie the Pooh I gave my wife as a present, I wish I could go back as I suppose we all do, if only we knew then what we know now.!!!!!
Regards,
Norman.
Outstanding thank you Norman, this is both unopened and uncut...indeed for what it's worth I'll leave it as is and drag out passages for translation when required....I guess I can put the Panabas back up on the wall now

Gav
Old 10th February 2011, 04:11 PM   #8
Jens Nordlunde

Hi Gav,
Mine were in a very sad condition when I bought them, so I had them bound. Try to find an old HAND bookbinder, who do this as a hobby, as the work will be better and cheaper than if you go to an industrial bookbinder.
Jens
Attached Images

Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2011, 04:17 PM   #9
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens Nordlunde
Hi Gav,
Mine were in a very sad condition when I bought them, so I had them bound. Try to find an old HAND bookbinder, who do this as a hobby, as the work will be better and cheaper than if you go to an industrial bookbinder.
Jens
WOW Jens, that is an improvement on what they look like, a very great improvment, thanks for the tip!

Gav
Old 17th May 2015, 01:22 PM   #10
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens Nordlunde
Hi Gav,
Jens
I am grateful for the tip Jens...this was done locally and I am super impressed with the royal treatment they received.

Gavin
Attached Images

Old 17th May 2015, 02:52 PM   #11
Jens Nordlunde

Gavin,
You have a very good memory.
They look great - really great. I am glad you waited till you found the right man to do the job:-).
Attached a picture of Hendley's Memorials of the Jaypore Exhibition 1883. Vol. I-III.
When Florida was flooded some years ago, the bindings were very badly damaged, not the pages I am happy to say. I took them to the same binder who bound the Holstein books. Only bits and pieces from each binding could be used, but luckily the binders brother knew how to make galvano blocks, so he could piece the bindings together as they were originally.
The bookbinder is retired, earlier he was a emploied at an old convent in in Switzerland, a very well known convent by Catolics. So he knew all about repairing old bindings, and to make new ones - by hand.
Jens
Attached Images

Last edited by Jens Nordlunde; 17th May 2015 at 04:33 PM.
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2015, 12:32 PM   #12
Gavin Nugent

Those books are outstanding Jens, simply outstanding.

Thank you for sharing.

Would you present a detailed photo of the cover or email me one in confidence if required, I am intrigued.

With thanks

Gavin