Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 20th August 2015, 11:21 PM   #1
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile Tonkin Sabre ?

I picked this up some months ago because I liked the lines of it and the washboard grained hilt .
27.25 inches overall; 20 inch blade a strong quarter inch thick at the forte .
The blade is obviously a lumpy piece of forging which probably speaks to humble origins . It takes a keen edge and is probably forge welded; there is no temper and if bent to any degree it will stay there; but with the tip heaviness I expect it's capable of giving a good chopping blow along with the slash of a sabre .

Thoughts ?
Attached Images

Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2015, 05:57 AM   #2
Gavin Nugent

Rick,

My thoughts; Vietnamese Guom blade mounted in the simple manner of the people to the west of Northern Vietnam. The blade is the type most often seen in the hands of the Mandarin's entourage, the hilt type is seen within Vietnam too but the simple form seems to be to my eye mostly seen in Laos and Hmong knife and sword types. I am pretty sure Nathaniel has a sabre from Vietnam loosely following this hilt form too.

Its a nice looking blade with a better than average degree of finish to the blade surfaces were so many of the type are poorly finished showing a raw unpolished surfaces as is seen within your fullers. Nice traditional motifs too.

How it came to be within this, and I use the term loosely, "non traditional" hilt is anyone's guess as trade through from east to west and west to east was massive.

Gavin
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2015, 03:29 PM   #3
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Thanks Gavin .
Old 21st August 2015, 04:56 PM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Outstanding assessment by Gav!!!!
As I looked at this interesting sword I realized how very little I knew of the Vietnamese sword spectrum. The term 'Tonkin' of course was to me mindful of that part of Viet Nam, and the distinctly Chinese gestalt of the blade seemed to affirm this notion. I was hoping to hear more on these characteristics, and I very much appreciate the excellent description and explanation on the Chinese influence prevalent there!!
Thank you Gav, for the opportunity to learn more on this great sword, and Rick, for sharing it here,

Outstanding

Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2015, 06:15 PM   #5
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

This sabre also came with a funky little mak .
The blade looks like the steel is 'tired' from the forging crack .
This too is folded forged steel .

I'm sure I paid too much but they appealed to me .
Attached Images

Old 23rd August 2015, 11:15 PM   #6
Nathaniel

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwordsAntiqueWeapons
Rick,

My thoughts; Vietnamese Guom blade mounted in the simple manner of the people to the west of Northern Vietnam. The blade is the type most often seen in the hands of the Mandarin's entourage, the hilt type is seen within Vietnam too but the simple form seems to be to my eye mostly seen in Laos and Hmong knife and sword types. I am pretty sure Nathaniel has a sabre from Vietnam loosely following this hilt form too.

Its a nice looking blade with a better than average degree of finish to the blade surfaces were so many of the type are poorly finished showing a raw unpolished surfaces as is seen within your fullers. Nice traditional motifs too.

How it came to be within this, and I use the term loosely, "non traditional" hilt is anyone's guess as trade through from east to west and west to east was massive.

Gavin
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=11124
Nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2015, 11:17 PM   #7
Nathaniel

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
This sabre also came with a funky little mak .
The blade looks like the steel is 'tired' from the forging crack .
This too is folded forged steel .

I'm sure I paid too much but they appealed to me .
the pairing makes regional sense
Nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote