FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 1st January 2015, 09:24 PM   #1
Kubur

Default How to expose or reveal wootz

Dear all

Happy new year!
I know that it was discussed previously
but i need few methods to reveal wootz on old blades
do you have few technics to use (if possible non destructive for metal and skin)?

shukran
Kubur
Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2015, 05:26 AM   #2
DaveS

Default How to expose or reveal wootz

Kubur: Try phosphoric acid. It is sold at many home improvement stores and is used as a concrete or a metal etch. I have use it for many years on both wootz and layered Damascus. I have tried many different kinds of acids, but for me anyway it seems to work by far the best. I use it right out of the bottle, don't even need to dilute it, unlike ferric chloride where you have to dilute it at least 6 to 1. After polishing the blade and degreasing with acetone, I like to use a paint brush and keep on brushing both sides keeping the blade wet. This should be done outdoors in the sunlight so you can better judge what the pattern is doing. Sometimes a pattern will jump right out. Other times it might take 20 minutes or even longer. Very rarely nothing much happens, in which case you will need to try a different acid. After you get the look you want, rinse the blade in hot water, put a solution of baking soda on the blade to neutralize the acid, dry and oil blade. It seems everyone has their own way to etch their blades, and they all will work. This just seems to work best for me............Dave
DaveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2015, 09:14 AM   #3
Kubur

Thanks Dave, I will try on one or two daggers. If it is successful then I will try on a kilij... I will post the results.
Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote