Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 16th March 2010, 03:11 PM   #1
wolviex

Unhappy Claude Blair - The Obituary

Friends!

I'm quite amazed that after 3 weeks of time there is still no single word on this forum, devoted to European Arms, about the great loss that stroked our community in last month.

Claude Blair, one of the greatest scholars who has devoted his life to antique arms, died on 21 February in the Epson hospital in London after short illness, in age of 87. His funeral took place on 11 March in St. Sepulchre church in the City of London.

I don't think there is any need to introduce his life work on this forum, as we owe him (and we know very well) many great books and articles, written with passion and unmatched knowledge.

He was one of the last of the group of great scholars that were active after the II WW, who gave solid, contemporary basis for antique arms and armour knowledge, along with B. Thomas, H. Seitz, sir J. Mann, L.G. Boccia and many others, who left great legacy for the future studies.

Personally I can say, though I never met him in person, that mr Claude Blair was great friend of Poland and of Polish museums. He was in constant contact with prof. Zdzislaw Zygulski jun., and in 2007 he has sent him his new article called "King Henry VIII's dagger and powder-flask, and the gates of Boulogne" which I'm translating by now and which will be published in 13th volume of the "Studies in history of old arms and uniforms". There is also a correspondence between Claude Blair and prof. Zbigniew Bochenski from 60's and 70's preserved in National Museum in Krakow, with some interesting thought shared between those two scholars, that might be published someday. As far as I know he has done few other works just before his death, that will be published soon, amongst the others by the MET in NY - unfortunately these will be probably the last ones.

Rest In Peace
wolviex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2010, 05:28 PM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Michal thank you so much for bringing this to our attention, and I am so sorry to hear of this tremendous loss to the arms and armour world. It seems I hear little from the 'outside world' as far as news in my situation, and the last 'communication' I received from the 'world' was my newsletter from the Arms & Armour Society about a month ago.

I share entirely your perspective of this great man, one of the venerable sages of the study of arms and armour, who openly shared his vast knowledge with everyone. Though I never met him in person, I can recall in a number of instances in my much younger years of study, apprehensively writing to him with questions and theories. To my surprise he answered me in the kindest and attentive responses I have ever received, and politely shared his brilliant knowledge in almost breathtaking conciseness. I have never forgotten the lesson learned from him....no serious query is too small, and no one who truly wants to learn should be ignored.

He will be dearly missed, and never forgotten, as I know he is often quoted and his work will forever stand as the sound benchmark on which we build our knowledge of the study of arms and armour.

Rest in peace Mr. Blair
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2010, 12:06 PM   #3
Marc

I didn't even know. Shame on me.
I never had the chance to meet him but for his works. And for them, he had my admiration. He was on of those gentlemen-scholars, in the full sense of the word, who built accurate knowledge with passion and effort, to share it with the world.
It would be a daunting task to simply list his contributions to the study of European Arms and Armour and metalwork. It's easier to say that his work will always stay as a huge milestone in the long road of the research in this field, together with other great scholars of his generation form the "British School" (Mann, Norman, North, Oakeshott, etc...) and elsewhere.
He will be greatly missed.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2010, 12:17 AM   #4
Matchlock
(deceased)

Location: Bavaria, Germany - the center of 15th and 16th century gunmaking

Neither did I know that Claude Blair died.

I knew that he was ill at a very old age though. We had our last correspondence about a year ago and he wrote that his health was weakening, his time was very limited and that he would probably never make it over to Bavaria to see my collection. He told me though that the photos of my collection were much appreciated and that he ranked it among the best he had ever seen. Getting complimented by the pope of historic weaponry - and as such I have always considered him - was an unforgettable experience.

I only met him once at a Christie's sale in London in September 1991 where I bought my four barrel mace from the Meyrick collection. Wish I could have entertained him once at my home.

Requiescas in pace, Claude. You and your unequaled insight in earliest wheel-lock firearms will be dreadfully missed but never ever forgotten. Your prolific writing has left us your great mind.

Bowing down as ever before your achievements,
Michael

Last edited by Matchlock; 30th March 2010 at 10:36 AM.
Matchlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2010, 11:06 PM   #5
stephen wood

...his old comrades at the Arms and Armour Society are missing him very much...
stephen wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2010, 01:48 AM   #6
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Ashes to ashes .
So go we all .

Something for us all to contemplate as collectors and students .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2010, 02:42 AM   #7
Dmitry

It's sad to see the last of the 'giants' go.
His books are on my shelf, and I refer to them often.
Dmitry is offline   Reply With Quote