Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25th July 2013, 11:25 PM   #1
Iliad

Default Masai Knife/Sword

Greetings to all,
My latest purchase, from a reputable Auction House, is this long knife/short sword, catalogued as a Masai knife. It came with a belt with cartridge loops, so I assume that the knife and belt belong to each other. The blade is marked "Martindale", "Made in England". I have Bezdek's book "Swords and Sword Makers of England and Scotland" and he lists a William Martindale who operated in the mid 1600's as a gun and sword maker. The weapon appears to have some age to it although the belt seems to be less old. Perhaps a forum member with a good library will know if the blade is from the Martindale in Bezdek's book, or another Martindale.
All comments welcome.
Regards,
Brian
Attached Images

Iliad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2013, 11:54 PM   #2
Iain

The Martindale in question should be this one: http://www.ralphmartindale.co.uk/

Their products are still sold widely in Africa I believe. Your blade was made from reshaping a 227-380-03 pattern machete I think or at least one of similar dimensions. This is quite common for 20th century Masai seme as far as I can recall.
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote