Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 19th February 2019, 06:22 PM   #1
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Default A cabasset for comments ... please

While i would date it from 1580-1600, i am ready to be corrected.
As i also dare to repute it as being authentic, with its 1247 grams weight, twelve brass rosettes and two holes in the back for the missing plume holder, a device not so often seen in this type. The armorers mark would identify it as Spanish ... well, apparently, when compared with Gyngells catalog and one similar example in the LONDON ARMY MUSEUM.
Having said all the above, i would like so much to read your folks comments, including those revealing i am wrong.
Dimensions: Height 21 cms. Width 18X22 cms. with Brims 23X28 cms.

Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2019, 01:38 AM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Actually I cannot see reason for expecting correction as this cabasset seems well identified and with comparable examples well presented as corroborating evidence. The armourers mark, though slightly indiscernible seems quite like that shown in the Gyngell reference as Spanish 16th c.

This type of morion helmet was well known in these times and into the 17th century across Europe and in England, termed the 'pear stalk' helmet for the curious projection at the peak of the almond shaped dome. As noted, these were well known in Spain, but in Portugal as well, and I recall research on a similar type helmet concerning the famed Rembrandt painting "The Man in the Golden Helmet". This painting was completed c. 1650-55, but as of recent findings, probably by one of his students rather than him.

Apparently, in Indian Goa, from 1550-80 there were five of these type helmets made in gilt repousse for the Vice royalty of Goa. One of these was captured and later taken to the Azores. It is believed that Rembrandt owned one of these gilt cabassets in his well known arms collection.

We can only speculate if this may have been the source for the theme of the 'golden helmet' painting. It does seem clear that artistic license is at play with the ear flaps added, which are of course a mid 17th c. feature from the lobster tail helmets.

Whatever the case, these are intriguing helmets, and the case of the missing Goa ones always comes to mind for me. Otherwise, these are considered well known common helmets in varying range of use.
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2019, 01:04 PM   #3
fernando

Thank you for the reassuring words, Jim.
As a matter of fact, this cabasset comes from a rather reliable collector, whom i would not question; but apart from its authenticity, i wished to make it clear about the mark (thus origin), which was already my own inferrement, and towards some additional details hopefully provided by our fellow members.
Yo are right in that the "pear stalk" name came after these were of common use in Britain, apparently brought there by the Spaniards; but i fancy more the Cabasset attribution, for reasons connected with either my own and Spanish nomenclature. In principle brought from the Catalunian Cabasset, is based on Latin Capaceum, from Capere, meaning Contain, by conclusion "Protect" (one's head). Curiously still nowadays we here call a drivers protection helmet a "Capacete".
Good catch on the Vice-Roy "golden helmet", that we have discussed HERE. I just didn't divert into such beauties direction as i wished to (primarily) focus on the analysis of this one i am now presenting for comments.
It is of course only natural that these capacetes were not only Spanish but also Portuguese; an inevitable saga, due to both our Iberian proximity as also due to the fact that between 1580-1640 Portugal was under domain of the Spanish realm, which certainly increased cultural (and not only) influences.

Attached Images

Old 20th February 2019, 04:13 PM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Interesting detail on the colloquial terms used for these helmets, and the etymology derivation. The 'pear stalk' term did indeed expand from the British and European versions later. It is interesting to me that these are a form of the familiar and almost cliche' 'combed morion'.

I noted the aside on the "Man in the Golden Helmet" because it is a brilliant example of these helmets and that while in effect, a common other ranks type, they did reach more illustrious character. The famed painting by Rembrandt certainly added a bit of mystique (the fact it was from his 'school' not his hand not withstanding) and dimension to the story of these helmets.

The armourers mark you have added certainly provides compelling evidence of the Spanish origin of this example, and the Gyngell reference has been venerably sound in the limited field of markings compendiums. It seems that most cases known of spurious use of these markings applies to sword blades and perhaps sometimes in guns....but it does not seem as much the case in armourers marks. Perhaps that is an assumption on my part with my being basically unfamiliar with armour in general?

These are the times I wish Mr. Senefelder would chime in!!
Old 21st February 2019, 03:57 PM   #5
fernando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
... These are the times I wish Mr. Senefelder would chime in!!
Unfortunately (mysteriously ?) A. Senefelder has ended his participation almost two years ago, not only in our forum but also in other venues, as i contextually noticed.
Pity there (apparently) is not a wider audience to assist and contribute to armour discussions ... for my regret
Old 23rd February 2019, 03:45 PM   #6
fernando

A paper & copper essay for a plume holder. I will visit the (silver) smith workshop on Monday. Will ask them if the fixation rivets are better to be made of silver, a softer material, instead of iron, to not further damage the holes with the beating.
... Or maybe the whole thing in silver; exotic ... and hopefully not much expensive !

Attached Images

Old 23rd February 2019, 05:09 PM   #7
fernando

Well, in the lack of a minimum quorum to keep this thread alive, i have to see that the party goes on, myself .
Here is a rather interesting illustration of cabassets that i found while browsing on the subject.

Attached Images

Old 24th February 2019, 06:33 AM   #8
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
Well, in the lack of a minimum quorum to keep this thread alive, i have to see that the party goes on, myself .
Here is a rather interesting illustration of cabassets that i found while browsing on the subject.

This is a wonderful plate of illustrations on the various versions of the cabasset. While thought of as a simple common soldiers helmet, it clearly had well embellished examples in many cases.

Interesting to see the names of Lillian and Fred Funcken, who I seem to recall from military miniature days of the painting of these small figures and wargamers (it was about 40 or more years ago). They published some of the finest illustrations for these purposes and accuracy was incredible. I recall trying my hand at this VERY briefly!
Old 24th February 2019, 09:43 AM   #9
ulfberth

Default cabasset(s)

Here is one in the Metropolitan mMuseum , in polychrome rather unusual.
kind regards,
Ulfberth
Attached Images

ulfberth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2019, 02:50 PM   #10
fernando

Thank you so much for coming in Ulfberth
I have actually browsed the Met to know things about cabassets but didn't spot this magnificent example you now show us.
So i went back there and this tome i found it. I will add another picture, which i find interesting due to an inscription that reads "UBOLDO", a comune in Lombardia where most certainly this cabasset owner belonged. One thing the museum text doesn't mention and i take as most plausible is that, this ended up being a funerary item ... both for the Latin inscription and the fact that one doesn't go battling with such a delicately decorated helmet. The owner would become a preferential pray, as everyone would be trying to take him down and bring home such fine work of art

Attached Images

Old 24th February 2019, 03:35 PM   #11
ulfberth

Default pikeman

Pikeman wearing cabasset
Attached Images

Old 24th February 2019, 03:47 PM   #12
ulfberth

Default musketeers

altough a bit later than your model , here are some musketeers wearing cabassets
Attached Images

Old 24th February 2019, 03:52 PM   #13
ulfberth

Default cabasset(s)

a late 16th century half armor in Milanese style with a cabasset
Attached Images

Old 24th February 2019, 03:55 PM   #14
fernando

Very good material;thanks for sharing .
Old 25th February 2019, 04:11 PM   #15
fernando

Here we have, the whole plume holder in solid silver ... not silvered .
... and extremely cheap .

Attached Images

Old 27th February 2019, 11:28 AM   #16
AHorsa

Very nice work, Fernando! Congrats
AHorsa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2019, 11:40 AM   #17
fernando

Thank you so much, Andreas .
Old 27th February 2019, 02:54 PM   #18
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Thumbs up

Nice work by your silversmith Fernando.
I also like the tarnished surface; it goes quite well with the surface tone of the cabasset.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2019, 03:30 PM   #19
fernando

Thank you Rick,
I have assisted to the final trimming and (silver) rivet fixation, as also required by the smith. The new silver was shining and i asked him to darken it; he goes to an interior section and comes out with the thing completely dark. I tell him not so much and he rubbed it hard with a soft (flanel) cloth. Then i asked him what to do if i wanted to revert either process when i got home and he tells the trick; to darken, give it bleach, to lighten it, rub it with the cloth .
Old 27th February 2019, 05:14 PM   #20
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Wow! beautiful job...……….and I can see it now...…….Fernando parading around with that fancy plume helmet. But I cant say much.....after I should have learned my lesson with the famed tulwar vs. ceiling fan incident.....I tried to put on a kulah khud helmet and got it pretty well stuck on my head.
Seriously, very nicely done and great example.

Ulfberth!!! Its fantastic to have you back here!! and thank you for all these great examples of illustrations of these kinds of cabassets.
Old 27th February 2019, 08:44 PM   #21
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
Thank you Rick,
I have assisted to the final trimming and (silver) rivet fixation, as also required by the smith. The new silver was shining and i asked him to darken it; he goes to an interior section and comes out with the thing completely dark. I tell him not so much and he rubbed it hard with a soft (flanel) cloth. Then i asked him what to do if i wanted to revert either process when i got home and he tells the trick; to darken, give it bleach, to lighten it, rub it with the cloth .

Did you peen the rivets on the inside of this helmet yourself Fernando?
Was it difficult?
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2019, 09:06 PM   #22
fernando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
Did you peen the rivets on the inside of this helmet yourself Fernando?
Was it difficult?
No, that was the smith's job; he just wanted me to assist to it, as he is not familiar with antique weaponry restoring and wanted to make sure everything went as per my desire. I knew from the beginning that riveting with silver would me much much easier than with iron. A few hammer strokes and the (hand made) rivets were completely beaten. Mind you, the man is a precision executor; it is 'tasteful' to see him working.
Old 27th February 2019, 09:18 PM   #23
fernando

Quote:
....after I should have learned my lesson with the famed tulwar vs. ceiling fan incident.....
A bizarre version of when the tulwar hits the fan .

Quote:
...I tried to put on a kulah khud helmet and got it pretty well stuck on my head...
To prevent one's head from getting stuck with these things, the correct technique is to try them on someone in the house .
Old 2nd March 2019, 01:06 PM   #24
fernando

After some backstage combined research with a knowledged member, a rather plausible identification for this cabasset is that it is Italian, most possibly from the Papal Armory, the mark being that of the Barberini family arsenal, where a more clear example in another cabasset reveals the three bees symbol of their coat of arms. Its date remaining the same 1580-1600.

Attached Images

Last edited by fernando; 2nd March 2019 at 03:13 PM.
Old 2nd March 2019, 01:23 PM   #25
fernando

Note the exquisite plume holder and the arsenal mark, on a said Barberini Papal example. The pipe fixation is in the same position as mine. I just wouldn't guess that its riveting is also decorated with rosettes ... at least this one.

Attached Images

Last edited by fernando; 3rd March 2019 at 11:25 AM.
Old 2nd March 2019, 03:50 PM   #26
ulfberth

Quote:
Wow! beautiful job...……….and I can see it now...…….Fernando parading around with that fancy plume helmet. But I cant say much.....after I should have learned my lesson with the famed tulwar vs. ceiling fan incident.....I tried to put on a kulah khud helmet and got it pretty well stuck on my head.
Seriously, very nicely done and great example.

Ulfberth!!! Its fantastic to have you back here!! and thank you for all these great examples of illustrations of these kinds of cabassets.
thanks Jim