Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13th February 2015, 11:30 PM   #1
David
Keris forum moderator

Default Bali Wadon(?) Hilt

I know we have discussed these hilts before, however, it's been more than 5 years since our last serious discussion and in that time we have all had opportunity for gaining more knowledge as well as our group gaining new membership. Since i have recently acquired an example of this hilt form i thought it might be a good time to revisit the question.
I realize that "wadon" is a Javanese term (for woman) so pehaps it does not apply to this Bali hilt. These hilts have been described as Durga, but despite the assertion by Kerner, Jensen and others who follow them i have yet to see any real evidence for this assumption. Though certainly female in form it seems to me that this figure is most probably divine and therefore more than simply a "woman", so "wadon" seems inadequate as well.
I certain welcome speculative thinking here, especially if it can be supported with logic. What, do we suppose, is the meaning of the veiling of the figure? What is held in the hand?
The figure is decidedly alien-like. In this example i have noticed a certain insect-like quality as well, similar perhaps to a kocetan hilt. Does it look to anyone else that the features that start at each side of the head and travel over the shoulders to the back are somewhat antenna-like, as those often seen on kocetan hilts? I am making no conclusions here, simply trying to decipher the elements of this hilt and get the conversation rolling.
So, she seems to be a goddess or divine being, but i don't see any symbolism in the form that would tie her to Durga per se. Who could she be? Who would carry such a hilt in a cultural context (as i have always assumed that certain hilts are more appropriate for certain people than others)? This form seems relatively rare so it doesn't seem it would be carried by just anybody.
Below is a link to that last good discussion we had on these hilts 5 years ago. I quick look there before responding would probably be helpful.

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ght=durga+hilt
Attached Images

David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2015, 07:06 AM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

Soooooo....95 views and not a single reply. Is it that folks consider this a dead end or that they feel everything has been said that can be said? I still find this hilt form to be one full of mystery and unanswered question. I do realize that questions can't always be answered, but i can't help but be left wanting more in this case. I don't find myself content with either Durga of simply wadon as the designation for this hilt.
Old 16th February 2015, 11:39 AM   #3
Jean

Hi David,
As usual it is very difficult to get any reliable information about the krisses from Bali /Lombok.
According to the the book "Keris Bali Bersejarah" from the Neka Art Museum this hilt (danganan) is called meseh rupa (see page 134) without any information.
And there are several similar silver hilts shown in the book "Keris di Lombok" by H. Lalu Djelenga (see pages 82,83, and 168), they all look pretty recent and the local name is different (I forgot it), may be Pak Hartadi can confirm it as well as the local interpretation.
To me this hilt seems to depict the veiled Durga or Calon Arang/ Rangda.
Regards
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2015, 03:24 PM   #4
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean
To me this hilt seems to depict the veiled Durga or Calon Arang/ Rangda.
Thanks for your response Jean. I am sorry to press you here, but why, exactly does it seem valid to you as a depiction of the veiled Durga or Calon Arang/ Rangda. When i search for images of Durga from the Bali/Jawa area i mostly find multi-armed statues often with Durga standing on a buffalo to depict her victory over the buffalo demon Mahisha. Sometimes she is astride a lion (sometimes a tiger). I cannot find any known depiction of this goddess veiled though or any stories that would give reason for a veiling of her face.
Calon Arang and Rangda are often associated with Durga, but most certainly not the same being. These witch demons also have very standard depictions in Bali and Jawa culture, fierce demon woman with wild hair, bulging eyes, fangs and long nails (claws) on all their fingers (note in my example that only the pinky nails are long) . They are often seen as hefty females forms, often topless. But i have never seen them veiled either. Hiding their frightening appearance under a veil would also seem counter to their purpose in the lore. There is no mystery about their appearance, they are meant to strike fear in the hearts of those who view them.
But these "wadon" hilts show none of that. They are a veiled mystery with a stilled silence about them. They have none of the usual motifs or accompanying figures that are known to be related to Durga, Calon Arang or Rangda. So i have a real difficulty accepting the designation simply because it has been called that in a passing reference in a book. It just doesn't seem to jive to me.
I do not own the Balinese reference books you mention so i am afraid i cannot follow your page citations."Meseh Rupa" is a at least a dead end on the internet. Maybe someone has more on this. I would also be curious to find out approximately when this hilt form first made it's appearance. You say the ones in Keris di Lombak look fairly recent. Mine has some age, but i don't believe it is too old. Does anyone have any obviously old examples to this form to show?

Last edited by David; 16th February 2015 at 07:36 PM.
Old 17th February 2015, 08:17 AM   #5
Loedjoe

I have nothing to offer on the name, I'm afraid, but it seems likely that this type is of some age.There are at least three early examples of this type: in Jensen (Karsten Sejr), Den Indonesiske kris, et symbolladet våben (1998), p. 87, on a keris acquired before 1676 (a better photograph of this one is in his Krisdisk. Krisses from Indonesia, Malaysia and the Philippines (compact disk published by the author, 2007), ch. 6, pp. 26) and p. 91, on a keris acquired before 1618. The Krisdisk also has another, assigned to the 16th/17th century, ch. 6, p. 27.
Loedjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2015, 08:35 AM   #6
Jean

The common balinese name of this hilt is Balu Mekabun (the veiled widow?), and according to the detailed reference book from EAN Van Veeendaal "Krisgrepen en scheden uit Bali en Lombok" page 22, it depicts Durga/ Rangda. I have no more information to add but all the authors agree on this interpretation in absence of any other one.
The specimens shown in the books from the late Jensen or Kerner are older Javanese versions of this hilt IMO.
Regards

Last edited by Jean; 17th February 2015 at 08:48 AM.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote