Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi

Old 4th July 2017, 10:38 PM   #1
cookyboy1

Default Keris dagger

Hi everyone.ime new to this forum so forgive me if i mess up.I just recently brought a keris dagger from an antique shop simply because i liked it.The seller,s ticket said it was Malaysian and said it was a keris but it hadn't got a date on it. So if possible could some help on identification and age would be appreciated. The blade did pertrude out the end of the scabbard so right or wrong i lightly glued a piece of hard wood on the end but it can be removed if i need to.
Attached Images

cookyboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2017, 07:34 AM   #2
mariusgmioc

Welcome to the forum!

I do not know much about krisses, but I think yours has the hilt in the wrong position as it should be rotated 180 degrees.

The blade appears to be quite old but the photos might be misleadig.

Just wait a little more and I am sure you will get many more comments.
mariusgmioc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2017, 08:16 AM   #3
Jean

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookyboy1
The blade did protrude out the end of the scabbard so right or wrong i lightly glued a piece of hard wood on the end but it can be removed if i need to.
(Post deleted due to my misunderstanding)

Last edited by Jean; 5th July 2017 at 05:43 PM.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2017, 03:55 PM   #4
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

We often see Bugis type handles oriented in this direction whether it be correct or not.

As far as the Buntut is concerned I think our new member might well correct that with further information gleaned from our more experienced members here.

I'll take a wild guess that the blade is Javanese.

Welcome to our little corner of the web.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2017, 04:22 PM   #5
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookyboy1
The blade did pertrude out the end of the scabbard so right or wrong i lightly glued a piece of hard wood on the end but it can be removed if i need to.
It would appear that your sheath was missing the buntut, or end piece that would have finished off the stem of the sheath. These pieces are often formed form a piece if ivory or horn, but the wood you used does not detract form the piece and even looks a little bit like ivory in these photos due to the lighter color. I don't think this does any damage to the ensemble, especially if it can be removed and replaced with something more appropriate in the future. For now i wouldn't worry about it.
Theis keris does seem to have some age to it, though you are not likely to get a specific date. 19th century might be a good start. It does look like the blade could be Javanese though the dress is a Malay form. Javanese blades were often traded widely across Indonesia so this is not surprising.
As to the hilt orientation, I concur with Rick that keris from these regions are often presented with the hilt facing in this direction. I do find this position uncomfortable for holding the blade in use, but i have often seen such keris with the blade at rest in the sheath like this. Often hilts are not fixed in position and can be adjusted when needed.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2017, 04:28 PM   #6
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

This piece is missing one part which would be a cup selut between handle and blade. Usually these are brass or silver.
Old 5th July 2017, 07:23 PM   #7
cookyboy1

Smile Keris

Thanks for all the information all you have given me .it seems i have a lot to learn i did not realise that a blade had so many different names for different parts of the blade and scabbard.i will do more reading on keris and try to learn all the terminology that goes with these blades .thanks again..
Quote:
Originally Posted by David
It would appear that your sheath was missing the buntut, or end piece that would have finished off the stem of the sheath. These pieces are often formed form a piece if ivory or horn, but the wood you used does not detract form the piece and even looks a little bit like ivory in these photos due to the lighter color. I don't think this does any damage to the ensemble, especially if it can be removed and replaced with something more appropriate in the future. For now i wouldn't worry about it.
Theis keris does seem to have some age to it, though you are not likely to get a specific date. 19th century might be a good start. It does look like the blade could be Javanese though the dress is a Malay form. Javanese blades were often traded widely across Indonesia so this is not surprising.
As to the hilt orientation, I concur with Rick that keris from these regions are often presented with the hilt facing in this direction. I do find this position uncomfortable for holding the blade in use, but i have often seen such keris with the blade at rest in the sheath like this. Often hilts are not fixed in position and can be adjusted when needed.
Old 5th July 2017, 07:44 PM   #8
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

You'll find a lot of information going through the archives of this forum.
An 11 wave keris if I'm not mistaken.
Old 7th July 2017, 10:47 PM   #9
cookyboy1

Default Keris

Has the amount of waves have any significance to the blade as ive seen straight keris and some with les and more waves.also can you buy these end caps so as i could have a complete keris. Its funny because i sure this keris in my local antique shop for quitea few weeks then i noticed another keris in cabinet it had less waves and had a metal scabbard but the blade was quite loose when it was in place so i had a lookat this one and couldn't afford the 2 so i decided on this one.The more i handle it the more i love this dagger,will be looking for more in the future.
Old 8th July 2017, 11:26 PM   #10
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile About Waves

You could always start here.
http://www.kerisattosanaji.com/INTERPRETATIONPAGE1.html