Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 2nd July 2010, 01:57 PM   #1
Alam Shah

Default Nias Keris (?)

With reference from Ensiklopedi Keris, pg 78 (which was taken from Den Indonesiske Kris -et symbolladet vaben), the picture showed a short dagger (sheathed), from Nias, Sumatra. The fitting does look a little keris-like. However the blade although it's double edged, there is no flaring base area and no ganja. Should this weapon still called a keris?
Attached Images

Last edited by Alam Shah; 3rd July 2010 at 10:00 AM.
Alam Shah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2010, 02:50 PM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

My vote would be probably not, but it is hard to say not being able to see the blade.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2010, 09:11 PM   #3
tunggulametung

Default link

here is link to photo gallery own by fellow forum member that showing the blade:
http://picasaweb.google.nl/mbloebaum/046NiasKeris#

I think an interpretation to keris, but more a badik blade with keris style sheath. Hard to decide, but maybe not
tunggulametung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2010, 11:11 PM   #4
drdavid

This does not have the essential features of even a keris like object. The sheath is unusual but still similar to those found on most keris but the blade simply isn't. To me this looks like one of those historical attributions where someone was trying to say there were keris from all the regions around Jawa and here is one from Nias.
david
drdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2010, 12:07 AM   #5
David
Keris forum moderator

Agreed. I would not call it a keris.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2010, 02:08 AM   #6
Alam Shah

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Agreed. I would not call it a keris.
Perhaps, Bambang Harsrinuksmo when added it into Ensiklopedi Keris, might not have seen one. Instead, based on external information made the inclusion. There is no photo or sketch of the Nias blade presented in the book.

Ensiklopedi Keris is a good resource on Javanese keris, but does fall short on regional information from the Malay Archipelago, although there are limited attempts to include it.
Old 3rd July 2010, 01:49 AM   #7
Alam Shah

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdavid
This does not have the essential features of even a keris like object. The sheath is unusual but still similar to those found on most keris but the blade simply isn't. To me this looks like one of those historical attributions where someone was trying to say there were keris from all the regions around Jawa and here is one from Nias.
david
Yes, I have the same opinion, too..
Old 3rd July 2010, 01:46 AM   #8
Alam Shah

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunggulametung
here is link to photo gallery own by fellow forum member that showing the blade:
http://picasaweb.google.nl/mbloebaum/046NiasKeris#

I think an interpretation to keris, but more a badik blade with keris style sheath. Hard to decide, but maybe not
Thanks for the link..
A friend in Singapore, does have one of these Nias dagger. Looking at it, my opinion was, it cannot be called a keris, because in lacks the basic features of a keris, it simply does not qualify.
Old 4th July 2010, 01:55 AM   #9
kai

Smile

I agree that the issue of Nias keris is pretty much borderline and not well researched yet.

There are Nias chiefs who did wear real keris as status symbols (cp. Fig. 209 in Karsten's kris disk). These seem to be confined to northern Nias and were most likely gifts from Sumatran and Bugis rulers who wanted to establish good relations and trade (slaves were the most sought-after "commodity" from Nias).

Then there are typical si euli which generally(?) have single-edged blades and scabbards based on Minang Kabau sewar (long protrusion extending at a right angle at the edged side of the blade as well as an angled foot); typical for Nias is the addition of a ring-like feature at the other side of the scabbard throat (for attaching chains with bells and a set of tools like tweezers, ear spoon, etc.) and the ample use of brass rather than silver or suasa. Hilts come in different types: niotu lutolu and nioloa uma (traditional Nias hilts based on stylized animal heads or maybe Lasara motifs), niobu kaka (Nias variant based on planar keris hilts), or niodanga wana (plainer hilt with the pommel angled at 45 degrees).

And last not least there are unique Nias "keris" as the example from the start of this thread: These have a unique scabbard type (obviously based on keris scabbards) with a cross-piece also exhibiting the attachment ring of the si euli as well as a typical ball-like carving at the other side. The hilt can either be of the planar hilt variant (as Arjan's example from the Tropenmuseum) or a large, curved hilt with disk-like finial (as in the first pic of this thread), often made from ivory. The blade may be single-edged or double edged and tends to be roughly forged (if genuine Nias work rather than traded). I'll try to add better pics of mine example to show details of the blade, etc. I'm not yet convinced that the name si euli traditionally applies to this keris-like dagger, too...

While the blade usually doesn't qualify as a keris, I believe we have to accept that these pieces were crafted to represent keris and to fulfill their adapted social function in (North) Nias society. Moreover, Nias culture wasn't much influenced by hindu (nor muslim) concepts and transplanting a cultural icon from its mother culture into the completely different Nias culture is bound to result in changes/omissions/adaptations which may not seem "correct" in the originating culture. However, I believe it would be fair to judge wether these are keris by examining this issue from a Nias point of view, too.

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote