Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Miscellania

Closed Thread

Old 1st December 2019, 10:48 AM   #1
JBG163

Default Weapons for animals

Dear all,

By the thread about elephant Swords, i want to launch another subject, that, i found, awesomly interesting.
What animals weapons do younknow ?
Here we got :
- elephant sword in india

- i know that Indonesian put knifes on cock claws for cock fighting

- also indonesia, goat sword, put in the head of a goat with a harness, in order to figth tiger (king game, where the goat generally die and thé tiger when speared to death After).

Did you know another animals weapons ? Where did they Come from ?

Thanks everybody !

Julien
Old 1st December 2019, 06:52 PM   #2
Bob A

I've been known to carry a .44 cal from Smith & Wesson for bear. Does that count?
Old 1st December 2019, 07:26 PM   #3
Ren Ren

The weapon was not only active, but also passive
Once upon a time in Europe, wolfhound dogs were worn with wide iron collars (so that the wolf could not grab them by the neck), and for hunting wild boars, dogs wore special armor made of chain mail. Before the Second World War, one instance of such armor was stored in the collection of the Wartburg castle in Germany.
Old 1st December 2019, 08:20 PM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Julien, this is I agree, a most interesting slant on the study of arms, but it is I'm afraid a bit of a strain in the scope of discussions here, as seen in the somewhat bizarre entries entertained in the elephant sword thread (my bat entry not withstanding ).

Actually the subject is best described as either animals used AS weapons or weapons added TO animals in warfare. Animals are of course usually afforded their own natural weapons, and use these instinctively. Therefore they do not need weapons as used by humans, nor would they be trained in the use of them.

It is ironic however, that early humans learned about weapons from those of the animals around them, and fashioned their own representations of these natural animal weapons, such as tusks, horns, fangs and claws to use in imitation of them.

Early weapons were often comprised of the actual animal parts, or fashioned in imitation of them. Eventually of course, these were fashioned of steel.

Examples of the madu in India, as well as the bichwa, curved blades of the various daggers, and bagh nakh (claws) are of course in mind.

Animals trained in combat such as the war horse were THE weapon, and they kick to unhorse riders, and bite against an enemy. The elephants were less reliable in maintaining the direction of their aggression as far as targets.

Good point by Ren Ren, as passive weapons, much like armor, were for defense. The spiked collar around the neck of dogs is so that they cannot be grabbed around the neck negating their biting ability, but as described on the hunting dogs as well with threat of the prey attacking.

I find only dismay in the description of blades on claws in cock fighting and in these kinds of cruel 'sport' using animals.
Old 2nd December 2019, 07:40 AM   #5
corrado26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
I find only dismay in the description of blades on claws in cock fighting and in these kinds of cruel 'sport' using animals.
We should stop discussing such themes, they are absolutely stupid, inhuman and unworthy
corrado26
Old 2nd December 2019, 08:03 AM   #6
kronckew

Yes, the occasional mention in passing in discussing a specific martial arm is one thing. Discussing this subject especially their illegal cruel sport aspects on it's own is not appropriate.
Old 5th December 2019, 05:08 PM   #7
ALEX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ren
The weapon was not only active, but also passive
Once upon a time in Europe, wolfhound dogs were worn with wide iron collars (so that the wolf could not grab them by the neck), and for hunting wild boars, dogs wore special armor made of chain mail. Before the Second World War, one instance of such armor was stored in the collection of the Wartburg castle in Germany.
Here is an example of mentioned passive weapon - a Medieval dog collar found in Hungary, but with spikes instead of plates.
Attached Images

Old 11th December 2019, 06:06 AM   #8
Bob A

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEX
Here is an example of mentioned passive weapon - a Medieval dog collar found in Hungary, but with spikes instead of plates.
When I saw the collar above, it occurred to me that it might actually be reversable. It's not unknown to use a collar like the one I've pictured to restrain dogs from pulling against a lead. Unpleasant to contemplate, but admittedly humanity is often inhumane. (Proper use of this collar is not as nasty as it may appear, though the Hungarian collar is frightful.)
Attached Images

Old 11th December 2019, 08:27 AM   #9
kronckew

Hunting and guard dogs frequently had (and still do) have wide leather collars with spikes to prevent other predators from attacking their vulnerable necks. Full body armour is also used for wild boar hunting, usually not usually made from maille or plate, but from more modern materials, kevlar and sections of steel belted tire are used. Boar tusks are really nasty and uppers and lowers rub against each other to sharpen them into bone razors. The boars of course object strenuously to being annoyed.

The use of the internal spike 'restraint' collar that Bob A shows is despicable and a sign of someone who should not be allowed to own a dog. They can if not very loose, do irreparable damage physically and mentally. Even loose, they are designed to hurt. There are much better and more humane anti-pull collars and harnesses available. Bob's at least has the secondary loop that restricts how far the collar will tighten, some do not and are more like a noose.

Last edited by kronckew; 11th December 2019 at 09:46 AM.
Closed Thread