Ethnographic Arms & Armour
 

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 1st April 2014, 01:07 PM   #1
mjamerks
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: netherlands
Posts: 108
Default Strange Indo persian dagger info needed.

Hi All


Would like to know more about this dagger.
It has a rectangual blade (armor piercing?)
Walrus Ivory grip.
Some traces of gold to the blade.
Length is 40cm.
Maybe the steel is wootz but this is hard to see.
Would like to know age and origin.
My feeling says its Ottoman (court dagger)?
Would like to hear your opinions.
Thanks!
Attached Images
    
mjamerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2014, 03:14 PM   #2
ALEX
Member
 
ALEX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 933
Default

It is Ottoman. Could be a marriage of Court dagger handle and a Hancer dagger blade. the handle could be retrofitted for crossguard or bolster, and the blade yet another later addition. it is of substantial age. Is the ridge on one side only? Here's another hancer dagger without the ridge.
Attached Images
 

Last edited by ALEX : 1st April 2014 at 03:25 PM.
ALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2014, 03:18 PM   #3
mjamerks
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: netherlands
Posts: 108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEX
It is Ottoman. I think the handle could be a later retrofit for crossguard or bolster, and the blade is yet another later addition. Is the ridge on one side only?


The blade has 4 ridges and as far as I can see the grip and blade are very tight and looks like they Original to each other
mjamerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2014, 03:31 PM   #4
ALEX
Member
 
ALEX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 933
Default

both handle and blade are of substantial age, so could be original or of same period. The handle had some sort of attachment in the past, so this made me think it was lost and blade added later.. just a guess. I've seen at least one Ottoman blade with 4 ridges, and it was quite old, around 17 century, so they are known. I think others may have more suggestions. Its an interesting dagger
ALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2014, 04:14 PM   #5
mjamerks
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: netherlands
Posts: 108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEX
both handle and blade are of substantial age, so could be original or of same period. The handle had some sort of attachment in the past, so this made me think it was lost and blade added later.. just a guess. I've seen at least one Ottoman blade with 4 ridges, and it was quite old, around 17 century, so they are known. I think others may have more suggestions. Its an interesting dagger



Hi Alex
Thanks for the info.
I would like to get the guard restored but have no idear what it has looked like,a ring or a crossguard?
mjamerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2014, 04:44 PM   #6
ALEX
Member
 
ALEX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 933
Default

I'd advise not to add anything, and leave it as is. There's not much to base the restoration on and it's better not to disturb it's character and to leave it untouched).
ALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2014, 05:00 PM   #7
CharlesS
Member
 
CharlesS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Greenville, NC
Posts: 1,780
Default

I'm think it's a cut down and curved bayonet blade added to an Ottoman hilt and is clearly missing its original bolster....which may also have hidden the mystery of whether the two were meant to be together or not.
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2014, 05:07 PM   #8
mjamerks
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: netherlands
Posts: 108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesS
I'm think it's a cut down and curved bayonet blade added to an Ottoman hilt and is clearly missing its original bolster....which may also have hidden the mystery of whether the two were meant to be together or not.

The blade has on the base on all 4 sides remains of gold inlay,so I dont believe its an old bayonet blade.see extra pics
Attached Images
   
mjamerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2014, 12:55 PM   #9
napoleon
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 73
Default

nice walrus handle, i could be wrong but it looks like a marriage to my eyes,the blade looks like its from european smallsword re shaped perhaps
napoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2014, 03:57 PM   #10
A.alnakkas
Member
 
A.alnakkas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Kuwait
Posts: 1,246
Default

Looks like a genuine item. Was there smallswords with 4 ridges made curved? everything is possible, but this item would have looked alot better if the missing part was there.
A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2014, 04:02 PM   #11
mjamerks
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: netherlands
Posts: 108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.alnakkas
Looks like a genuine item. Was there smallswords with 4 ridges made curved? everything is possible, but this item would have looked alot better if the missing part was there.


If you see it in real you can see that the steel and shape of the blade is well made in that way,also the proportion in relation to the grip.
What can be the missing part shape etc maybe a simple silver ring of 5mm thickness?
mjamerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2014, 12:15 AM   #12
russel
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Posts: 232
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjamerks
What can be the missing part shape etc maybe a simple silver ring of 5mm thickness?


The recesses in the ivory suggest a four-sided quillon arrangement to me. (just an idea)
russel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2014, 06:23 PM   #13
Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Member
 
Ibrahiim al Balooshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Buraimi Oman, on the border with the UAE
Posts: 4,408
Send a message via MSN to Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Default

Brown Bess Bayonet?
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2014, 07:20 PM   #14
mjamerks
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: netherlands
Posts: 108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Brown Bess Bayonet?


The blade has 4 ridges and traces of gold at the base.
mjamerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2014, 07:24 PM   #15
ALEX
Member
 
ALEX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 933
Default

I tend to agree, it is likely a bayonet blade. it's an old marriage though. the gold was added to make it more decorative
ALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2014, 11:16 PM   #16
spiral
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,712
Default

Brown bess bayonets only have 3 ridges not 4.

But mjamerks although despite description of 4 ridges, this can not be seen in the pics, , can we have a photo of other side of blade & hilt please to confirm ?

Thank you.

spiral
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2014, 01:07 AM   #17
Robert
EAAF Staff
 
Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Centerville, Kansas
Posts: 2,196
Default

I believe that this shows both sides of the blade on this dagger as the hole in the hilt is broken out on one side and not not the other. I hope this is of some help until better photos can be added by Mjamerks.

Best,
Robert
Attached Images
 
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2014, 09:59 AM   #18
mjamerks
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: netherlands
Posts: 108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert
I believe that this shows both sides of the blade on this dagger as the hole in the hilt is broken out on one side and not not the other. I hope this is of some help until better photos can be added by Mjamerks.

Best,
Robert


Hi Robbert

Hereby pics of all 4 sides.
every side is 1 cm wide,the blade is exactly 30 cm long.
Martin
Attached Images
      

Last edited by mjamerks : 6th April 2014 at 10:30 AM.
mjamerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2014, 08:12 PM   #19
Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Member
 
Ibrahiim al Balooshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Buraimi Oman, on the border with the UAE
Posts: 4,408
Send a message via MSN to Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiral
Brown bess bayonets only have 3 ridges not 4.

But mjamerks although despite description of 4 ridges, this can not be seen in the pics, , can we have a photo of other side of blade & hilt please to confirm ?

Thank you.

spiral



Lebel Model 1886 ? That has 4. It could perhaps be a cut down sword stick... or some variant gilded bayonet used in hunting..?
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2014, 06:39 PM   #20
mjamerks
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: netherlands
Posts: 108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Lebel Model 1886 ? That has 4. It could perhaps be a cut down sword stick... or some variant gilded bayonet used in hunting..?



The ridges of a lebel bayonet are much thicker,compared with this blade the ridge is very thin almost sharp also the point is different compared with a lebel bayonet.
Maybe it is not a bayonet at all but made in the shape it is specially.
mjamerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2014, 07:46 AM   #21
Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Member
 
Ibrahiim al Balooshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Buraimi Oman, on the border with the UAE
Posts: 4,408
Send a message via MSN to Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjamerks
The ridges of a lebel bayonet are much thicker,compared with this blade the ridge is very thin almost sharp also the point is different compared with a lebel bayonet.
Maybe it is not a bayonet at all but made in the shape it is specially.


Could be.. but doubtful... I suggest either a hunting bayonet remodelled as a dagger or one of the other weapons... a lancehead or snapped sword or sword stick fashioned into a dagger. see http://www.truefork.org/Photography...Sant_Angelo.php for a quadrangular blade...but there many possibilities.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2014, 08:07 AM   #22
Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Member
 
Ibrahiim al Balooshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Buraimi Oman, on the border with the UAE
Posts: 4,408
Send a message via MSN to Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Default

Then again~ what we could be looking at may be related to "Dague MisÚricorde" style...

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2014, 02:43 PM   #23
ALEX
Member
 
ALEX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 933
Default

The blade could be something similar to this. This one is not bayonet's, could be a spear, alam or something similar. I've seen another Ottoman dagger with a huge ivory handle and short 4-edged blade - an obvious old retrofit. these types are not common and likely old put-togethers from different parts.
Attached Images
 
ALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2014, 09:09 AM   #24
mjamerks
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: netherlands
Posts: 108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEX
I tend to agree, it is likely a bayonet blade. it's an old marriage though. the gold was added to make it more decorative



FYI
I will put this dagger for sale on ebay.

Rgds

Martin
mjamerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2014, 09:19 PM   #25
Andrew
Member
 
Andrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 1,725
Default

Thank you for the advice.

A
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 06:07 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Posts are regarded as being copyrighted by their authors and the act of posting material is deemed to be a granting of an irrevocable nonexclusive license for display here.