Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16th February 2015, 10:06 PM   #1
drac2k

Default "3 Old Oceanic Septres."

I just picked up these 3 clubs ; one appears to be a Supi Maiaita from the Solomon Islands, however I'm not sure about the other 2 .I will post more pictures when I get them; any help would be welcome.
Attached Images

drac2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2015, 06:19 AM   #2
ausjulius

hello the middle club is a waddy a multi-purpose throwing digging and fighting club form central australia. the aboriginal clubs will many times have a rought surface on the tip of the handle this serves a practical purpose to stop it form slipping from your hand when you throw it but allowing a smooth release. if youve ever thrown a club youll notice clubs with pommels dont throw well and to smooth handles also dont work well if the tip is slippery.
probably mulga wood..
the bottom club the wide paddle shaped club is indeed form the solomon islands.
the top one i would suspect is a papuan sword club..
form which region my memory is poor but it looks familiar it should have a scored patter on its surface
ausjulius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2015, 06:48 AM   #3
Tim Simmons

I have a feeling that the other "club" is a weaving sword from Africa. I have one. I believe the handle on your example is a typical form.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2015, 07:39 AM   #4
kronckew

i concurr with tim, weaving swords were used to tighten the weft on a hand loom. african ones with ornate carved handles were often passed down from mother to daughter, and are art objects if not weapons. wouldn't want to get hit with one tho.
Attached Images

kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2015, 02:02 PM   #5
drac2k

Great feedback gentlemen !!! I had a feeling that the middle club could be from Australia in general, but I didn't have a clue on the detailed information given to me and in regards to the "weaving sword," from Africa, I would have never have guessed that ; I thought it was some kind of spatula, etc.
Thanks Again to all !
Old 17th February 2015, 10:42 PM   #6
ausjulius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons
I have a feeling that the other "club" is a weaving sword from Africa. I have one. I believe the handle on your example is a typical form.
yeah bugger me your right.. sory my brain was frozen
yeah paupa they have such clubs like that but yrpically plam wood and .. longer in szie that than over 1 meter typically . looking at the image its got to be short as the waddy ist going to be over 70 cm..

i would say its south american and not african..
ive seen ones from peru, ecudorm bolivia..ect than get rather long and will have a carved pommel as decoration. normally a llama or two llamas touching their heads or such..
ausjulius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2015, 02:22 AM   #7
drac2k

I should of mentioned that the longest piece is 29 " ; I'll post better pictures when I get them.