Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15th October 2005, 03:56 AM   #1
Ed

Default A Learned Society that might be of interest

(warning, I am not getting to the point quickly, I am going to amble.....)

Many years ago (I warned you) I read of a medieval arrow being found in the eaves of Westminster Abbey. The thought was that someone in the 15 c. or thereabouts was popping off with his bow and idly shooting at some sort of critter lost the thing. I reflected on the curseing, which transcends time, that probably occured. Survivals have always been a great interest of mine and this seemed like a highly romantic case in point. I had no contacts worthy of note and this being pre-internet days my only recourse to ferret out the details was to go to a library. That seemed like a waste of time (I was probably too lazy to write to the folks at the Abbey). Anyhoo, there it lay, for decades.

About a month ago I recalled this arrow and did a search ... "Arrow+westminster Abbey+medieval" or something like that and turned up the paper. It was written by Robert Hardy (the actor dude who is a major archery expert) and another fellow in the Journal of Archer-Antiquaries. "Whoa" sez I. "Archer-Antiquaries, this is up my alley". I investigated and joined. They publish a very erudite Journal on a variety of things Toxophillic with no specific emphasis on European matters. In fact a large proportion of the articles relate to Ethnographic archery related topics. I thought that the existance of this group might be new to members of the forum as it was to me and that some of you might be interested.

Their website is http://www.societyofarcher-antiquaries.org/index.htm
The dues are 20 pounds a year and include the Journal. They conduct shoots in the UK to which all members are welcomed. Anyway, take a look, the Journal IMHO is certainly worth the price of membership and it opens up a new set of people with expertise in arcane topics, not that our interests are arcane or anything.
Ed is offline   Reply With Quote