Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30th December 2023, 10:05 PM   #1
Pitt1999

Default A Maasai Bowie Knife?

I wanted to show my Maasai weapons to possibly get some age estimations on them. To me the smaller seme and the club are probably all mid 20th century or earlier while the largest seme with the medial ridge is probably late 19th to early 20th century. While unsheathing them I forgot about the strange Maasai sword that I had. Rather than having the typical double edged spatulate blade this one has a single edged blade with a sharpened clip point. It isn't very clear in the picture but the primary edge is chisel ground while the false edge is ground on both sides. Was this made for actual use by the Maasai or was this made for those who travel?
Attached Images

Pitt1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2023, 12:09 PM   #2
Pertinax

Дату создания меча семе с лопаточными клинками сложно определить. Это отличный инструмент для разделки мяса, фруктов и овощей, расчистки густых лесов и охоты, используемый в основном народами Масаи и Ватута в Восточной Африке - Кения и Танзания (Занзибар).
Существует версия, что Масаи свои ножны красили в красный цвет. Это зарегистрировано было ещё лет 200 назад европейскими путешественниками и продолжается до сих пор. А вот их соседи Ватута красили в коричневый.
В Танзании и Кении для туристов предлагают большой выбор мечей, которые не отличаются от тех которые носят и используют Масаи. В 2020 г. я сам привез из Восточной Африки несколько подобных экземпляров. Отличительная особенность – кончик ножен заканчивается небольшим металлическим диском, позволяющий опираться на нож в ножнах, если его владелец сидит на корточках.

The date of creation of the seme sword with blade blades is difficult to determine. It is an excellent tool for cutting meat, fruits and vegetables, clearing dense forests and hunting, used mainly by the Maasai and Watuta peoples of East Africa - Kenya and Tanzania (Zanzibar).
There is a version that the Maasai painted their scabbards red. This was recorded 200 years ago by European travelers and continues to this day. But their neighbors Vatuta painted them brown.
In Tanzania and Kenya, tourists are offered a large selection of swords that are no different from those worn and used by the Maasai. In 2020, I myself brought several similar specimens from East Africa. A distinctive feature is that the tip of the sheath ends in a small metal disc, which allows you to rest on the knife in the sheath if its owner is squatting.
Attached Images

Pertinax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2023, 12:50 PM   #3
milandro

the way this is dressed is certainly Masai (including a number of other tribes that are in the same area but distinct ) , however the blade's shape is certainly anything but traditional.

This may be either a blade which has been inspired to a Western blade or a repurposed blade.

I have seen Masai " Seme" which were made from German made machetes
milandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2023, 12:58 PM   #4
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hi Pitt1999,

It's my understanding that the ones with a medial ridge are a more traditional and older form of the seme than the flat-bladed forms. That would fit with your estimates of age.

Some of the flat-bladed forms were made from imported British or German machetes, probably post-1900, while others were no doubt made locally (judging from their relatively crude forging). Again, this would fit with your age estimates.

The clipped point blade is a distinct oddity. It might be a rework of a broken/damaged blade, or one that had a forging flaw which needed to be removed. I've not seen a similar blade on a seme knife.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2023, 03:45 PM   #5
wildwolberine

Default Maasai rungu

Sharing my two Maasai rungu. There was a discussion of these on the forums a few years ago. I’ve owned a few over the years. I try to acquire any that are legitimate burl/root ball examples or don’t violate the grain. The darker club is very similar to yours!
Attached Images

wildwolberine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2023, 08:06 PM   #6
Sajen

Here: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...highlight=seme an interesting thread about the age of seme swords, also regarding middle rib on the blade.
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote