Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11th July 2006, 01:20 PM   #1
Bill M

Default Suggestions for care and respect of Javanese and Balinese Keris.

I live in the USA. I Believe....

That keris have or did have a spirit living in them.

That while the dress can be fine and expensive, it is VERY secondary to the blade.

That we, as custodians need to take special care of our keris. Care that is not bestowed on other edged artifacts. Or perhaps I should say, different care.

It seems improper and disprespectful to puiblicly display Javanese and Balinese keris blades. I am not so sure this applies to other keris, like Moro and peninsular. I also know that people on this Forum do post pictures of their blades and do not mean to disrespect those people for their beliefs.

I know that quickly drawing a keris from its scabbard gave me a very bad feeling. I only did this once.

I know that I should not place a keris on the floor, nor step over it. Ever.

I think that I remember that the scabbard should be drawn away from the keris, not the keris from the scabbard. Also that the keris should always be unsheathed reverently and slowly.

Seems like they should be smoked on Thursday nights in the USA?

I am fascinated by a post in another thread that mentions the belief that keris should not be "sniffed." Possibly because the person is stealing their "food" of incense and oil.

I would welcome additional information and comments on the above as to the care, feeding and respect of keris.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote