Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24th July 2011, 06:26 PM   #1
stephen wood

Default Sudanese (?) Spear for Identification

...turned up on our favourite auction site

Looks Sudanese to me but not the acustomed spearhead shape...

...suggestions most welcome.
Attached Images

Last edited by stephen wood; 24th July 2011 at 08:43 PM.
stephen wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2011, 03:47 PM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Wood on haft looks like ash or something like that on Btitish lances. The head looks like sheet steel. Production souvenier from post Mahdiyya industry?
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2011, 05:25 PM   #3
katana

Hi Stephen,
I saw this on eBay (the seller was only a few miles from me) and had it gone cheaply would have risked it. The thin (sheet) spearhead was a concern, the shaft patina and iron coiled 'counterweight' its saving grace.
I once found an article about 19thC Sudanese souvenirs that were manufactured in Britain !!?? Will try and find it again ...as this spear could be a candidate.

Kind Regards David
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2011, 08:32 PM   #4
colin henshaw

Hi there

This spear is from Somalia.

Regards.
colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2011, 09:48 PM   #5
katana

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin henshaw
Hi there

This spear is from Somalia.

Regards.
Hi Colin,
is flat sheet steel usual for this type of spearhead ? and if so would this give an indication of approx. age ? and whether ceremonial or functional ?

Kind Regards David
Old 28th July 2011, 01:11 AM   #6
stephen wood

Somalia? Never seen one like it before. It looks quite old but yes, it does seem to be sheet metal welded onto the socket. Strange shape - like a spade. Are there any pictures anywhere of one like this?
stephen wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2011, 08:45 AM   #7
colin henshaw

Hi David

I've seen quite a few with that type of "sheet metal" blade, sometimes with a midrib. You can often see file marks on the metal. Functional I am sure, probably early 20th century, from what was British Somaliland. The twist of iron at the end of the shaft is typical.

Regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by katana
Hi Colin,
is flat sheet steel usual for this type of spearhead ? and if so would this give an indication of approx. age ? and whether ceremonial or functional ?

Kind Regards David
Old 28th July 2011, 12:49 PM   #8
katana

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin henshaw
Hi David

I've seen quite a few with that type of "sheet metal" blade, sometimes with a midrib. You can often see file marks on the metal. Functional I am sure, probably early 20th century, from what was British Somaliland. The twist of iron at the end of the shaft is typical.

Regards

Thanks Colin
Regards David
Old 28th July 2011, 01:43 PM   #9
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen wood
Somalia? Never seen one like it before. It looks quite old but yes, it does seem to be sheet metal welded onto the socket. Strange shape - like a spade. Are there any pictures anywhere of one like this?
Are there any photos of spears similar that suggest this is Sudanese?

David, I know what you mean on the British production of souveniers and saw the same detail someplace while studying kaskaras, and cant recall where it was exactly. I think the burgeoning cottage industry that developed this production of items for native sale was to serve the developing economy of this British colony, and evolved over time into the Kasalla works for kaskaras.Anyone here interested in further reading on this should read Ed Hunley's outstanding dissertation on our site here.

The British firm of Martingale (I believe is the name) produced blades for the Kenyan seme' swords, and they were a tool making company. In the Sudan many kaskara blades were made from metal stock in railroad yards ( I think Ed mentions Atbara). Briggs has some information noting sheet steel being used and metal stock stamps showing up on some blades.

All the best,
Jim
Old 28th July 2011, 02:45 PM   #10
katana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Are there any photos of spears similar that suggest this is Sudanese?

David, I know what you mean on the British production of souveniers and saw the same detail someplace while studying kaskaras, and cant recall where it was exactly. I think the burgeoning cottage industry that developed this production of items for native sale was to serve the developing economy of this British colony, and evolved over time into the Kasalla works for kaskaras.Anyone here interested in further reading on this should read Ed Hunley's outstanding dissertation on our site here.

The British firm of Martingale (I believe is the name) produced blades for the Kenyan seme' swords, and they were a tool making company. In the Sudan many kaskara blades were made from metal stock in railroad yards ( I think Ed mentions Atbara). Briggs has some information noting sheet steel being used and metal stock stamps showing up on some blades.

All the best,
Jim
Hi Jim
I believe the article was written by Micheal Stevenson ....I have checked to find the link I previously had ...but there is a different webpage that 'comes up' I stupidly did not copy it. I remember linking the article in a previous post .. and may have quoted from it on a thread...but cannot find it...I wouldn't be surprised if you have a copy on your hardrive

If memory serves, these Sudanese souvenirs were produced in either Birmingham or Sheffield ...shipped to the Sudan, sold to the British ...only to be 'brought back' as genuine items .....

As regards railway lines used as a source metal for swords....the steel quality is extremely good with, I believe, a reasonable carbon content suitable to manufacture blades.

Still truckin' in the Bookmobile ??

All the best
Kind Regards David

All the best
Old 29th July 2011, 02:54 AM   #11
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi David,
I think you're right, it was probably Birmingham, and I think I have some note of this in the heaps of notes stuffed away in the bookmobile.....yup, still truckin!! Matter of fact we finally got on the road yesterday to get out of Texas....its burnin up here....headed north to mountains maybe Arizona near Grand Canyon.

All the best,
Jim
Old 2nd August 2011, 02:57 PM   #12
colin henshaw

Hi

For anyone interested in Somali material - I found this old photo showing different weapons and objects...

Regards
Attached Images