Kubur

Default Tribute to early Ottoman pistols

They are so beautifull...
Attached Images

Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2017, 03:06 PM   #2
motan

Question Beautiful

Hi Kubur, they are exquisite. Excuse my ignorance, but how old is "early" in Ottoman pistols? I have looked at many pics of Ottoman pistols, but I have never seen anything like them in shape or decoration.

It is funny (or sad) that when you compare old to newer pieces, what really gets lost with time is not the craft or quality, but mainly the esthetics...Just the right amount of decoration, harmonious color combinations, the elegance..I can not think of a logical reason.
Eytan
motan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2017, 06:15 PM   #3
Kubur

Quote:
Originally Posted by motan
Hi Kubur, they are exquisite. Excuse my ignorance, but how old is "early" in Ottoman pistols? I have looked at many pics of Ottoman pistols, but I have never seen anything like them in shape or decoration.

It is funny (or sad) that when you compare old to newer pieces, what really gets lost with time is not the craft or quality, but mainly the esthetics...Just the right amount of decoration, harmonious color combinations, the elegance..I can not think of a logical reason.
Eytan
Hi Eytan,
These ones are from the late 17th c. maybe very early 18th c.
The first Ottoman pistols were wheellocks in the late 16th and early 17th c.
All the Ottoman pistols that you see on this forum are from the 19th c.
Very very few of them are from the very late 18th c.
And you can even see some from the very early 20th c.
You havent seen anything like them because they are very very rare.
Myself I'm amazed by the quality of the barrels... look at this steel...
all best
Kubur
Old 22nd January 2017, 10:39 PM   #4
motan

Default Pistols

Hi Kubur,
Yes, the barrels are beautiful, dark smooth steel. They must be heavy too. I like especially the hexagonal barrels. The locks, with short and thick frizzens are also different from later miquelet types. Do you know if they were also made in the Balkan, like most Ottoman pistols?
motan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2017, 01:18 AM   #5
Battara
EAAF Staff

Wonderful examples. Thanks for posting!
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2017, 04:29 PM   #6
rickystl

Hi Kubur.

Those pistols are indeed beautiful. And, as you mentioed, early Ottoman examples that are extremely rare. A couple of observations: Notice the general style of the grip areas of the stocks. The pistol at the top seems to have an almost pentagonal grip. That pistol, along with the second and fourth pistols have stocks that remind me of Saxon style wheellock pistols. While the stock of the third pistol is similar to English style wheellock/doglock pistols of the second quarter of the 17th Century. We know that general styling of guns in the Ottoman Empire tended to last much longer than their European counterparts. So the late 18th Century for these is probably a reasonable guess with the miquelet locks. They are definately earlier than most encountered today.
Also, you seldom see Ottoman style pistols with full octagon barrels. They are usually tapered octagon-to-round, which usually is a lighter weight barrel.
Another curious feature of two of the pistols is the lack of trigger guards. Usually the only Ottoman style guns you see without trigger guards have ball style triggers. The two above have European style triggers without guards. Usually, the only pistols you see like this have Moroccan/Algerian origins. Very interesting.

Thanks for posting these pistols. I think they should all be sent to my house for further study and evaluation.

Rick
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2018, 04:38 PM   #7
Kubur

They are amongst us, but we cannot see them...the Ottoman wheellocks
Attached Images

Old 17th December 2018, 11:43 AM   #8
Fernando K

Hello

It does not seem that the wheel lock was built in the East, but that it was imported

On the flint specimens, it is worth mentioning the pedrero screw, which has antennas and / or a perforation to use a tool (rod), as in the lock "a la morlacca" or "mojaca", which mimics the lock of "agujeta" ", instead of the big rear ring.

Affectionately
Fernando K is offline   Reply With Quote