Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 17th January 2009, 10:23 PM   #1
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Default A Portuguese Partisan (spontoon)

This is a polearm called partisan; some say the ascendant of the spontoon.
It is in principle Portuguese (provenant from Oporto); the seller dates it from the XVII century.
It would have been an action weapon.
The staff is possibly the original one, adorned with several brass fancy nails, possibly a later stage embelishment, certainly to have a second life serving ceremonial purposes
Blade length is 46 cms ... 53 cms including socket.
The side straps measure 34 cms.
The total length of this piece is 2,70 mts.
Anybody care for coments ?
Thanks
Fernando

Attached Images

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 19th January 2009 at 08:29 PM.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2009, 09:53 PM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

A very handsome example Fernando! and though I dont know much on polearms, I wanted to add some thoughts after reviewing some notes on these. The terminology on polearms is interesting, and perhaps it would be interesting to discover more on these terms. Apparantly the 'partisan' is also more familiarly known as a 'spontoon'. " always think the 'oon' suffix is curious, as in the swords we have studied such as 'walloon' , the 'spadroon' come to mind.

It seems most polearms were intended for combat against horsed enemy, and there were many variations in the shapes and features of the heads on these, with distinct purposes associated with axe blades, spear points, hooks, winged type protrusions and so on.

The earlier forms of partisan, I understand had axe type heads on either side of the blade, which evolved into two side blade protrusions. On these, as on some other polearm heads, these were hilt-like in function defensively.

In this example, as you have noted, these side blades have become rather vestigial, and the weapon, as was the case with partisans in general by the 17th century, had become more ceremonial. I believe, if not mistaken, that the spontoon (partisan) became a sort of rank insignia that was often carried by sergeants or similar equivilants in rank and file.

Interesting to have provenance with this example, and perhaps looking into the military history there, more information might be present.

I know these turned up in Spanish colonial sphere, and I think were even used as noted during the American Revolutionary War. Need to check more in Neumann's reference! Looking forward to more comments.

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 12:53 PM   #3
Anandalal N.

Default Dear Fernando,

A grand example. Seems well balanced from your demonstration.

From Sri Lanka (Ceylon) comes a distinctive spear based on the partisan called 'patisthana' or 'patisthanaya' which follows the same basic design and is usually highly decorated.

Could someone tell me how to attach images so I can put up an early patisthana for comparative purposes?
Anandalal N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 02:26 PM   #4
fernando

Hi Anan,
Thanks for your coments.
Let's see if i can explain how the picture insertion works:
As you open 'post reply', there is an option down below called 'manage attachements'. Once you click it, there are six 'browse' boxes. You enter the first one and your computer options appear. Search for the file (picture) you want to attach to your posting, and click in the 'open' tab. That will bring you back the 'browse' window, where you click on the 'upload' tab. You can do this operation six times in the same session. Once it is uploaded, you can 'close the window' and 'submit' the posting, your picture/s being automaticaly inserted.
I hope i made it clear; if any problems arise, just email me the pictures and i will ge glad to insert them myself.
Best
Fernando
Old 20th January 2009, 03:10 PM   #5
fernando

Hi Jim,
Thanks a lot for your input.
It appears as, despite the use of the term spontoon is a coloquial attribution, indeed the partisan is an earlier weapon ... derived from the lance, we can admit. From what i have been reading, the partisan ended up as a rank insignia weapon, while the spontoon was already generated for such purposes ... or something of the kind .
I guess the term 'partisan' (partasana in portuguese) derives from the italian 'partigiana', a weapon aledgedly used by the Partisan militians (Partigiani).
Isn't sometimes the sufix 'oon' the same as 'ão' in portuguese, or 'on' in french and spanish, meaning large, or dimensional... right ?
Fernando
Old 20th January 2009, 05:35 PM   #6
Matchlock
(deceased)

Location: Bavaria, Germany - the center of 15th and 16th century gunmaking

A very fine piece, Fernando - well done.

Although this kind of weapons, having become, as Jim put it, rank insignia by the time that your partizan/spontoon was made, is not really within my expertise I like it very much. Very good photos as well, one showing clearly the layers of wrought iron coming off - a proof of authenticity anyway.

Michael
Matchlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 08:36 PM   #7
katana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anandalal N.
A grand example. Seems well balanced from your demonstration.

From Sri Lanka (Ceylon) comes a distinctive spear based on the partisan called 'patisthana' or 'patisthanaya' which follows the same basic design and is usually highly decorated.

Could someone tell me how to attach images so I can put up an early patisthana for comparative purposes?

Hi Anandalal,
some thing like this ?...

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...t=ceylon+spear

Regards David
katana is offline   Reply With Quote