Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Miscellania

Old 23rd April 2019, 08:46 PM   #1
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Default Unknown silver hallmarks

A friend of mine is desperate to identify the mark on this silver tray .
Any of you guys familiar with it ?

Attached Images

fernando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2019, 08:59 PM   #2
fernando

Or, better say, maker's mark, there is no actual hallmark in it, as happens now and then, for known and unknown reasons ...
Old 24th April 2019, 10:14 PM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I know that in the western countries, any precious metal was subject to control and taxation, so it would be hard to imagine any such item in this sphere being without hallmarks. It seems other countries also had varying methods of marking such items for similar reasons. Also it seems hallmarks were usually in groupings with the marks having various representations.

Not sure what this 'mark' or stamp is, but seems to have escaped these conventions. It seems there are antiques references with such markings catalogued to varied countries. This reminds me more of a stamp placed such as with stainless steel items (not saying this is not truly silver, but perhaps an alloy beneath the allowed threshold?).
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2019, 11:03 AM   #4
fernando

I will certainly convey your impressions to my friend, Jim.
May i first remind you that, the absence of hallmarks is not so unprecedented; more in some countries than others, or more on basis of the artisan wanting to avoid proof house expenses, namely when his work is directly commissioned by a customer that trusts him and agrees to save the proof house costs. In a way, the same as with gun proofs, as mentioned in discussions now and then. Furthermore, if on one hand my said friend ignores the (country) origin of this work, he owns a family jeweler shop, for i doubt he would fail to discern that this tray is not made of silver.
For long time i know about a silver forum:
https://www.925-1000.com/index.html
... where probably this stamp would be identified but, for my regret, my old time register has ended and my re-access has not been successful as, for some reason, the automatic activation link does not enter my email account as should.