Old 9th October 2009, 11:23 PM   #2
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2009, 04:37 AM   #3
TVV

Fernando,
This is inspiring! I cannot imagine what goes into vreating a collectors' society museum, from finding a building to house a permanent exhibit to battling all kinds of red tape.
I was wondering, what is the 4-barrelled matchlock with the short barrels (#2)? It looks like something from India, but I would love to know more about it, if you know.
Bets regards,
Teodor

Last edited by TVV; 10th October 2009 at 06:08 AM.
TVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2009, 05:42 AM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Fernando, I just would like to thank you for all you have put into posting these outstanding weapons in what is clearly a superb addition to the historical arms world! I hope you will extend our congratulations, gratitude and appreciation to your group, you have our profound admiration.

As I have long said, I have always admired the way you have ensured the proper recognition of Portugal in exploration, colonization and history through the study of the many important weapons represented in world collections and now here.

These photos are great, and thank you for your attention to detail by providing numbers on the weapons so that we may address questions on them specifically. Very well done!!!!!

All the very best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2009, 10:31 AM   #5
Matchlock
(deceased)

Location: Bavaria, Germany - the center of 15th and 16th century gunmaking

Hi Fernando and Teodor,

The four barrel matchlock gun is an 18th c. Indian piece indeed.

The others are, from top:

- pic 1: lock detail of a presumably Japanese matchlock gun

- pics 2-6, foreground: the four barreled Indian matchlock revolving gun;
background: a Portuguese type snaphaunce gun, attributed by Daehnhardt to the 16th century but probably later; I have known this gun for quite a few years and from a Hermann Historica sale in the 1980's and still have some doubts about it

- pic 7: a Portuguese type spaphauce pistol which arouses at least as many doubts as the gun discussed in the previous paragraph; and a Portuguese miquelet lock gun, late 17th century

- pics 9 and 10: a Portuguese miquelet lock hunting fowler, 18th c., and a late 16th century style Portuguese or Italian miquelet lock petronel, composite, the stock modern and of inadequate shape

- pic 11: a matchlock musket, presumably of Dutch origin, ca. 1600-20, now mounted with a Portuguese miquelet lock and Italian pierced trigger guard; and an 18th c. Portuguese miquelet lock sporting gun

- pic 12: a composite Dutch or English late 17th century flintlock blunderbuss with staged brass barrel, now mounted with a Portuguese snaphaunce lock; and an 18th c. Portuguese miquelet lock gun

Best,
Michael
Matchlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2009, 07:22 PM   #6
fernando

Hi Michael,
Thank you for your expert coments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchlock
... - pics 2-6, background: a Portuguese type snaphaunce gun, attributed by Daehnhardt to the 16th century but probably later; I have known this gun for quite a few years and from a Hermann Historica sale in the 1980's and still have some doubts about it ...
I see your point. Amazingly Daehnhardt vastly refers to this piece, in a book he wrote, as being a petronel made in the Lisbon arsenal around 1560-1580.
It is apparently equiped with a portuguese horse neck 'molinhas' lock.

Quote:
... - pic 7: a Portuguese type spaphauce pistol which arouses at least as many doubts as the gun discussed in the previous paragraph...
Another one of these things . In the same book, he states that this piece, which exceptionaly keeps its original stock, is of Portuguese manufacture, end XVI century, with a 'molinhas' lock with brake, a la Portuguese. At the time of such publication this specimen was part of Col. W. Keith Neal collection.

Quote:
... - pics 9 and 10: a Portuguese miquelet lock hunting fowler, 18th c., and a late 16th century style Portuguese or Italian miquelet lock petronel, composite, the stock modern and of inadequate shape ...
I am a bit lost with the info tags, as i didn't mind to picture the index numbers near the weapons and now, in some cases, i am not sure which is which; but i would say that the patilha lock fowler was made by Bamgru, a smith from Pangim, dated 1779; with a Moghul barrel with gold koftgary inlay.
The other flintlock gun would have been made in the Goa arsenal, under Italian guidance, end XVI century. The lock is the Anselmo type, with a dog-catch, the Portuguese-Singhalese manner.

Fernando
Old 10th October 2009, 07:40 PM   #7
fernando

Hi Jim,
Thank you for your kind words,
In fact i have basicaly become a member of this Association to provide myself a certain legal support when it comes to complications with proving the legal aspect of owning one or other (antique) weapon. These people have a very good relation with the authorities, whom respect their expertize in the weapons area.
Therefore my proximity to their staff is mostly limited to contacts within the said context. They are very nice and welcoming people; though probably from a (financial) status well above my humble level .
But i am sure they will like it, when i transmit them your congratulations.
Fernando.
Old 11th October 2009, 12:05 AM   #8
Chris Evans

Hi Fernando,

Wonderfuld photographs - Thank you for sharing.

Cheers
Chris
Chris Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2009, 12:07 AM   #9
Chris Evans

Hi Fernando,

Wonderful photographs - Thank you for sharing. Am learning a lot.

Cheers
Chris
Chris Evans is offline   Reply With Quote