Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 6th August 2014, 03:27 AM   #1
Nirghosa

yours isn't the only one, I got one off ebay some year ago as well with the handle incorrect. Guard was correct but no handle. Fortunately my teacher is a smith and was able to carefully help me "knock" it loose. It seriously looked like they had used modelers cement at one time
Nirghosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2014, 12:20 PM   #2
drac2k

A member of the forum was good enough to give me the name of a swordsmith and as such, the blade is on it's way to California ; if this works out, he will be receiving a suitcase of "projects," to work on .
drac2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2014, 02:45 PM   #3
Gavin Nugent

Hi Drac2k

These Kampilans are quite simple in there manufacture.
The grip and pommel is a separate piece of timber from the guard and they are typically pinned with a single pin mid way through the grip.

I'd say the pin perhaps rusted through or was removed/fell out after the rattan binding wore through and was just reassembled incorrectly at the time.

A simple thing to reverse and rebind correctly.
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2014, 05:49 PM   #4
drac2k

Thanks for the advice, but I'm not sure how "simple," the fix would be and I don't possess the skill set for the binding.If the sword were loose, I might have tried , but it is tight as a drum !
I have found that 2 phrases in the English language usually cause me great regret :
"don't worry, it's simple, you can do it," and "don't worry, it won't cost you anything."
drac2k is offline   Reply With Quote