Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 9th May 2015, 04:48 AM   #1
fearn

How did the break happen? It's not like the Inka or their predecessors had saws, and there's no sign of crystallization. They weren't clumsy metal-smiths, so I doubt it was a bad casting. Was it cut off for some reason, accidentally destroyed by a looter's pick? It's a troubling inconsistency.

F
fearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2015, 09:23 AM   #2
Tim Simmons

It looks like the piece was cast from a form as it is. The spike has not been cut or broken off after casting. The patina does not bother me. Grave goods are dug up from certain environments in almost mint condition. The size looks correct to examples I have seen and have pictures of. Why it has a truncated spike is bit of a mystery. Perhaps it alters the striking properties? perhaps it is currency or offering? Is it a fake? seems odd to fake a mace head this way. If I were to fake a mace head I would have all the spikes or damage one spike to fake age and usage. I know there is fake pottery, reproduction pottery and new ancient pottery made in Peru for tourists. There could well be reproduction bronze castings. Without real provenance only metal testing will be conclusive as to whether it is genuine. When I visit museums that have Peruvian collections I am amazed at the fineness of art objects. Pottery and textiles in wonderful condition. Can you get real ancient artifacts on ebay? I think it may be possible. I bought a Peruvian {Chimu} pot sold on ebay as African. What you have to keep in mind it that the Spanish conquest would not change all aspects of culture over night. It would take decades to reach every community that had craft activity. Local forms of expression in manufactures would have continued for perhaps centuries. Here is a picture of the pot I cost very little so if it is fake or repro I do not mind, but as I say it would not have to be from the 1500s to be genuine.
Attached Images

Last edited by Tim Simmons; 9th May 2015 at 09:41 AM.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2015, 10:38 AM   #3
ashoka

Looks great to me. Patina and wear is as you would expect, at one point it has been totally cleaned chemically of all the original patina and then aquired another old one. To me it looks as if one spike was damaged a long time ago, presumably on the crest of Pizarro's helmet, and subsequently was cut off to make it look 'neater' not the first time I have seen this. Obviously a long time ago as it is not a sharp cut but worn. It appears to be made from porous cast and hammered copper which again I think is what you'd expect although it's not really my dept. Nice thing!

Last edited by ashoka; 9th May 2015 at 11:46 AM.
ashoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2015, 11:41 AM   #4
stekemest

Thank you all for your opinions. The metal seems to be a bit brighter where the spike is broken, so perhaps it was indeed once sawed off.
Is there any person/insitution where it could be appraised first-hand (and not too expensively so?). It is certainly not worth a lot, even if real, but I love everything pre-columbian and this piece just feels "good".
stekemest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2015, 11:52 AM   #5
ashoka

There are many in museums, but your best bet is probably just comparing them to ones online, and in good museum collections. I see no reason at all to think there is anything doubtful about it. The fact that it is cast copper speaks volumes, and the aged marks/surface on it is pretty evident. Apparantly they made them out of many materials, stone, metal even gold. A holiday to Peru and visit to the relevant authorities in the National Museum should confirm
ashoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2015, 12:03 PM   #6
stekemest

Quote:
A holiday to Peru and visit to the relevant authorities in the National Museum should confirm
Not cheap from Germany to Peru.
Thank you very much.
stekemest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2015, 12:18 PM   #7
Tim Simmons

It may have been so porous at the time of casting that it was finished this way? There does not seem to be any signs of cutting with a metal saw or mechanical grinding? In the past collectors have been vandals it is possible that somebody cut the spike off so it would stand on edge?
Attached Images

Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote