Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16th August 2011, 02:45 AM   #1
Nagawarrior

Default Militaria "Sweet Heart" piece.

Not exactly an edged weapon but related.
Just found.
I believe its a "Sweet Heart" pillow of some sort. Pure guess. Probably British from 1890 (on pillow). Says "TRIA JUNCTA IN UNO", around the crown and "Forget Me Not". Crossed sword and rifles. Flaming bomb. Other motifs?? Two little coins? With Arabic writing? Maybe Afgan war. Heavy as a brick. Something in there? I have no experience with these. Is this given to the soldier by his sweetheart or the other way around? Hoping folks on here can help out. I think its pretty cool and would look good in a sword display. Any ideas.
Attached Images

Nagawarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2011, 10:05 AM   #2
mrwizard

I think the symbolism on this thing is somehow connected to the Order of the Bath. Tria juncta in uno (three connected in one) was/is their motto.
If the badge in the upper left has a rose in it, it could stand for England.
The lower symbol could represent a thistle -> Scotland.
The celtic-cross in the upper right could stand for ireland.
Maybe someone with knowledge in british heraldy can tell you more.

Best Regards,
Thilo
mrwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2011, 01:01 PM   #3
Nagawarrior

Thank you Thilo.
I just found the info about the Order of the Bath. I was going to write it here and there was your excellent comment. Upper badge has a rose, interesting symbolism. I thought the lower symbol was a flaming bomb, but I see the thistle now. I've found the motto on British officers badges in my research so far. Often made into jewlery for their "sweethearts". I think they are called "pips"(the badges). The pips on the front have the words "Tria Juncta In Uno" on them which translates to " Three Joined to Become One" which pertains to the unification of England, Scotland and Ireland to become the United Kingdom. This is actually the motto of the "Order of The Royal Bath" which derives from the medieval ceremony for creating a knight, which involved bathing as a symbol of purification as one of its elements. The knights so created were known as "Knights of the Bath".

Stephen
Old 16th August 2011, 07:01 PM   #4
kahnjar1

Sweetheart Pillow I think. The words FORGET ME NOT and the heart shape give it away. The date of 1890 would suggest one of the many african wars that the British were involved in at that time.
As far as the Order of/Knights of the Bath is concerned, it is possible that the soldier for whom this was made was a member??
An interesting item!!
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2011, 07:19 PM   #5
Tim Simmons

The granade is the Grenadier Guards. The one with the St Geogre red cross on white is the Coldstream Guards and the other is the Scots Guards. the centre as Stu suggests is some royal order.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2011, 12:23 AM   #6
Nagawarrior

Thanks Stu and Tim. It is interesting. I'm haveing fun learning about this one. Not my usual, "and now for something completely different....". The little coins may place it in the Afgan theater. I have to try to get pictures. They are small and hard to photograph.

Stephen*
Old 17th August 2011, 08:50 AM   #7
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagawarrior
Thanks Stu and Tim. It is interesting. I'm haveing fun learning about this one. Not my usual, "and now for something completely different....". The little coins may place it in the Afgan theater. I have to try to get pictures. They are small and hard to photograph.

Stephen*
........or East Africa. Much Arab influence due to trade and slaves. The script LOOKS Arabic??
Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2011, 05:01 AM   #8
Nagawarrior

Here is a pic of the coin or whatever it is on the pillow.
Attached Images