Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 24th June 2019, 06:33 PM   #1
cornelistromp

Default Dutch hanger for russian market?

I recently purchased this hanger at an auction. The cutlass is of a very large proportion, almost 90 cm long, with big brass cast shells of unequal dimensions, an ivory carved grip and a cast pommel cap. the sharp blade has a slight bow and a 20 cm sharpened clip-point.
Weapons of this type, construction and material were made in the Netherlands in the second half of the 17th century, mainly in silver and brass.
My theory is that this weapon was also made in the Netherlands for the export market, probably Russia, given the design of the pommel cap.

The image of the Sultan on the shells, attacked by two hungry lions is probably Mustafa 2, an Ottoman sultan who reigned at the end of the 17th century.

best,
Jasper
Attached Images

cornelistromp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2019, 08:57 AM   #2
M ELEY

How did I miss this one? Jasper, you've got a great eye for cutlasses! This one is a real beauty! Unfortunately, I've nothing to add on your export theory. Seems plausible enough. Lord knows the Dutch were importing and exporting all manner of fine swords during this period. Congrats on the cutlass and if you ever decide to part with it, well, you know the rest!
Mark
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2019, 10:49 AM   #3
cornelistromp

thank you Mark, yes it is indeed a beautiful and very interesting cutlass.
I think the image of the Sultan defeated by lions refers to the demise of the Turkish Empire in central Europe at the end of the 17th century.

fe The Treaty of Constantinople of 1700, after the Sultan had lost the Azov region to Peter the Great.

attached: Taking of Azov, a 17th-century Dutch engraving, 1699 - Adriaan van Schoonebeek

best,
jasper
Attached Images

Old 29th June 2019, 04:25 PM   #4
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

An excellent sword indeed; and with such a powerful blade for a hanger .
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2019, 05:08 PM   #5
Victrix

That’s a lovely sword, Jasper. Congratulations. I like the honest signs of wear and the historic decorations which you commented on.

Do you think the sword originally had a tang nut which was removed to rehilt it, and replaced with a peened tang?

Also I wanted to ask you if the Netherlands produced its own blades or imported them all. I know a lot was purchased from Solingen. In Sweden the king first ordered the production of local blades in the first half of the 17thC, which was organized by Admiral Clas Feming (who’s family ancestry was of Flemish origins not surprisingly).

Last edited by Victrix; 29th June 2019 at 11:31 PM.
Victrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2019, 11:33 AM   #6
cornelistromp

hard to tell if there had been a tang button, see fe examples on

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...light=lionhilt

there was a lively trade in arms in the 17th c.
parts were imported from everywhere and assembled into weapons in the Netherlands, fe blades from Solingen and Passau.
the Dutch arms market was a source for supply for everybody who wanted to wage war or was under attack.
In 1592 Sweden placed an urgent order for a regiment of 1500 people for the war against Muscovy in Holland; 200 muskets, 800 calivers,1000 helmets, 350 suits of armour , 1000 pikes , 500 rapiers and cutlasses and 30 drums. ( the arsenal of the world the dutch arms trade in the 17thC, p.14)

best,
jasper