Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23rd December 2007, 06:09 PM   #1
BBJW

Default Pirate Kukri- Nepalese Naval Kukri?

As per Jim's request. Merry Christmas all and a Happy New Year!!
Attached Images

BBJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2007, 10:05 PM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

WOW! Now thats some grouping BJ!!! Thank you so much.
Those cutlasses and naval pieces are very well placed along with the pirate thread, and that kukri is definitely fascinating.
Spiral....come in please!

Anybody out there got a copy of Gilkerson?!!
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2007, 10:26 PM   #3
carlos

Default OHHHHH

ALL THIS PEACES ARE MARVELLOUS, BUT THE KUKRIE IS PERFECT!!!
CONGRATULATIONS!!
CARLOS
carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2007, 11:36 PM   #4
spiral

Great fun looks Nice! perhaps made for a European in the late 19th early or 20th century I guess or quite likely a marrige, but could not comment seriosly without good closeups & specs. I like it though!

Nepali Hindus dont like the dark sea though, it destroys there soul & eliminates there caste position & risks them entering there own form of purgatory. There sea sickness is legendary. There true landlubbers.

I suspect The only Navy in Nepal has a 2 man canoe on a melting glacial stream though & possibly a rubber dinghy on a jungle stream in the monsoon!

Nice assortment of goodies!

Spiral
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2007, 04:28 PM   #5
Arny

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiral
Great fun looks Nice! perhaps made for a European in the late 19th early or 20th century I guess or quite likely a marrige, but could not comment seriosly without good closeups & specs. I like it though!

Nepali Hindus dont like the dark sea though, it destroys there soul & eliminates there caste position & risks them entering there own form of purgatory. There sea sickness is legendary. There true landlubbers.

I suspect The only Navy in Nepal has a 2 man canoe on a melting glacial stream though & possibly a rubber dinghy on a jungle stream in the monsoon!

Nice assortment of goodies!

Spiral
Spiral, are you into slagging Nepalese people on a sword chat room? I happen to have family there and resent your childish stupidity. Lets keep the chat about edged weapons, not childish comments that have nothing at all to do with this forum.
Arny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2007, 04:45 PM   #6
Tim Simmons

Default Happy Christmas

Nepal is a land locked country? I think the comments were made in good humour? I think this is the nearest thing to a Himalayan conection to the sea and navy?
http://www.navy.gov.au/spc/history/ships/nepal.html

Last edited by Tim Simmons; 24th December 2007 at 08:23 PM.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2007, 04:48 PM   #7
Andrew

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arny
Spiral, are you into slagging Nepalese people on a sword chat room? I happen to have family there and resent your childish stupidity. Lets keep the chat about edged weapons, not childish comments that have nothing at all to do with this forum.

Easy goes it, Arny. Spiral has demonstrated great respect for and knowlege of the Nepalese people on this forum in the past. I suspect you are misinterpreting his comments as insults.

Take a look at his prior posts before taking offense...
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2007, 05:09 PM   #8
Tim Simmons

[QUOTE=Arny]Spiral, are you into slagging Nepalese people on a sword chat room?

Chat room no never!!!
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2007, 06:27 PM   #9
ariel

Another Navy sounding even stranger than the Nepalese one is..
AUSTRO-HUNGARIAN!!!
And, nevertheless, they have their tradition and heroic tales to tell:
http://www.stile.coventry.ac.uk/cbs/...navy/index.htm
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2007, 07:28 PM   #10
BBJW

Lighten up guys. A Nepalese navy is akin to the Swiss navy.

Cheers
bbjw
BBJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2007, 08:15 PM   #11
spiral

Thankyou chaps for your awarness of the situation.

Quote:

I know Christmas is a difficult time for many people Arny. But Ill deal with your points one by one, assiuming you posted them with some thought & meaning.

Quote:
Spiral, are you into slagging Nepalese people on a sword chat room? .
No I am not, I dont, & I havent slagged Nepalis off .. that's your error.

Quote:
I happen to have family there and resent your childish stupidity. .
Realy? Fascinating.You clearly havent inherited there humour on this occasion.

Quote:
. Lets keep the chat about edged weapons, not childish comments that have nothing at all to do with this forum.
what ones like. " I happen to have family there and resent your childish stupidity" perhaps?

Not sure what part of my post you actually objected to? was it all of it? Ill try a few guesses as you were unable to be precise in your objections.

1, "Nepali Hindus dont like the dark sea though, it destroys there soul & eliminates there caste position & risks them entering there own form of purgatory." Is a true statement.

2,There sea sickness is legendary. There true landlubbers. This is recorded in numerous ww1 records & books, the genetic strengths which are many do not usually include bieng seafarers. {Look up Nepalese seamen on the net.}

3,I suspect The only Navy in Nepal has a 2 man canoe on a melting glacial stream though & possibly a rubber dinghy on a jungle stream in the monsoon! was tounge in cheek humour, but its also virtualy the truth.

Although according to Gillian Holdsworth they also have a pedadillo painted in military camouflage!

reference. linky

I suggest you Learn a little more about a country you have family in & its geography, religion & customs before commenting so rashly & incorrectly on my comments again.

Thankyou,

Have a good Christmas!

Spiral
Old 24th December 2007, 10:59 PM   #12
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

[QUOTE=Tim Simmons]
Quote:
Spiral, are you into slagging Nepalese people on a sword chat room?

Chat room no never!!!
'chat room' ???? I agree Tim!!!
Have we been demoted to that from a serious and friendly discussion forum on weapons? Was we 'slagged' ? Ouch.
BTW....this note is meant as a humorous personal expression, perhaps we need to add disclaimers to avoid misunderstandings!
Old 24th December 2007, 11:59 PM   #13
spiral

I love to see others use the old English collquilisms that myself & expect Tim grew up with.

Especialy by the more educated Americans whos English is more usualy much better than mine usualy! {& there spelling deffinatly is!}

"You was all slagged jim, the `king puppy , layed it on the line like gospel for you like blind men after a fish on a wednesday, realy I reckons it is, but you know the score anyhow, so its drinks all round later realy innit ,you old 1917-18 worldwar merchant .."

Spiral {with multiple disclaimers.}
Old 25th December 2007, 12:09 AM   #14
Jeff D

Quote:
I love to see others use the old English collquilisms that myself & expect Tim grew up with.

Especialy by the more educated Americans whos English is more usualy much better than mine usualy! {& there spelling deffinatly is!}

"You was all slagged jim, the `king puppy , layed it on the line like gospel for you like blind men after a fish on a wednesday, realy I reckons it is, but you know the score anyhow, so its drinks all round later realy innit ,you old 1917-18 worldwar merchant .."

Spiral {with multiple disclaimers.}

Your meds runnin' low spiral?

Jeff
Jeff D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2007, 12:42 AM   #15
spiral

`King Christmas always brings them out of the woodwork...

You will feel better after new year I expect Jeff.

spiral
Old 25th December 2007, 02:02 AM   #16
Jeff D

Quote:
`King Christmas always brings them out of the woodwork...

You will feel better after new year I expect Jeff.

spiral
Thanks Spiral for reminding me why I have had less time for the forums lately.

Merry Christmas to you and yours
Jeff

P.S. You can get bubble packs now
Jeff D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2007, 07:30 AM   #17
Arny

Quote:
Thankyou chaps for your awarness of the situation.

I know Christmas is a difficult time for many people Arny. But Ill deal with your points one by one, assiuming you posted them with some thought & meaning.

No I am not, I dont, & I havent slagged Nepalis off .. that's your error.

Realy? Fascinating.You clearly havent inherited there humour on this occasion.

what ones like. " I happen to have family there and resent your childish stupidity" perhaps?

Not sure what part of my post you actually objected to? was it all of it? Ill try a few guesses as you were unable to be precise in your objections.

1, "Nepali Hindus dont like the dark sea though, it destroys there soul & eliminates there caste position & risks them entering there own form of purgatory." Is a true statement.

2,There sea sickness is legendary. There true landlubbers. This is recorded in numerous ww1 records & books, the genetic strengths which are many do not usually include bieng seafarers. {Look up Nepalese seamen on the net.}

3,I suspect The only Navy in Nepal has a 2 man canoe on a melting glacial stream though & possibly a rubber dinghy on a jungle stream in the monsoon! was tounge in cheek humour, but its also virtualy the truth.

Although according to Gillian Holdsworth they also have a pedadillo painted in military camouflage!

reference. linky

I suggest you Learn a little more about a country you have family in & its geography, religion & customs before commenting so rashly & incorrectly on my comments again.

Thankyou,

Have a good Christmas!

Spiral

Don't patronize me Spiral. It was a childish comment out of line for this type of forum.

A.
Old 26th December 2007, 11:07 PM   #18
spiral

Quote:
Don't patronize me Spiral. It was a childish comment out of line for this type of forum.

A.

O I see Arny after 15 posts youve decided to vote yourself to head moderater have you?

A now you decide whats acceptable comment & humour & whats not on this forum?

Luckily thats just in your jumped up fantasy, not in real life..

Which of course means your thoughts & comments on this issue are of are of no consequence to anyone outside of your own head.

Spiral
Old 26th December 2007, 11:26 PM   #19
ariel

Guys,
Where is your Kwanzaa spirit?
Old 27th December 2007, 07:29 AM   #20
Arny

Quote:

O I see Arny after 15 posts youve decided to vote yourself to head moderater have you?

A now you decide whats acceptable comment & humour & whats not on this forum?

Luckily thats just in your jumped up fantasy, not in real life..

Which of course means your thoughts & comments on this issue are of are of no consequence to anyone outside of your own head.

Spiral
Lets stick to what this forum is intended for. Not your little tantrum just now. Where are you coming up with this accusing me of being the head moderater? Go swollow a sword and make sure it stays down in your gut.

A.
Old 27th December 2007, 08:35 AM   #21
spiral

Quote:
Lets stick to what this forum is intended for. Not your little tantrum just now. Where are you coming up with this accusing me of being the head moderater? Go swollow a sword and make sure it stays down in your gut.

A.
o dear!

You wish me harm, now!

Spiral
Old 27th December 2007, 04:40 PM   #22
Mark

Exclamation

Arny, it is you who is out of line. I rarely, if ever, take sides in a sandbox squabble, but in this case one party is clearly over-reacting and unreasonable, and that party is you. Granted, spiral's joking about Nepal might have been a bit tactless, but that does not make it offensive. It is not "out of bounds" for this forum. Get a sense of humor, or get a ban. Your choice.

I suggest getting this tread back on topic. Otherwise it will be locked and "purged" of the BS.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2007, 04:49 PM   #23
Arny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark
Arny, it is you who is out of line. I rarely, if ever, take sides in a sandbox squabble, but in this case one party is clearly over-reacting and unreasonable, and that party is you. Granted, spiral's joking about Nepal might have been a bit tactless, but that does not make it offensive. It is not "out of bounds" for this forum. Get a sense of humor, or get a ban. Your choice.

I suggest getting this tread back on topic. Otherwise it will be locked and "purged" of the BS.
I disagree and you definately are taking sides. But I have a suggestion though. Why don't you both fuck off. Ya, I know, you're going to ban me but that's o.k.
Old 27th December 2007, 04:59 PM   #24
katana

It not just the edged weapons on this forum that are 'sharp'......the wit can be also

"Humor is a serious thing. I like to think of it as one of our greatest earliest natural resources, which must be preserved at all cost." ....... James Thurber

"Humor is a universal language." ..........Joel Goodman

"A person without a sense of humour is like a wagon without springs. It's jolted by every pebble on the road." ...Henry Ward Beecher

"If I had no sense of humour, I would long ago have committed suicide." ... Mahatma Gandhi

Regards David

Quote:
I disagree and you definately are taking sides. But I have a suggestion though. Why don't you both f*** off. Ya, I know, you're going to ban me but that's o.k.
Charming, you really didn't need to resort to insults...... shame, indeed
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2007, 10:33 PM   #25
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs down

THIS KIND OF BEHAVIOR AND THE USE OF 4 LETTER WORDS ONLY IDENTIFIES A TROLL . HE IS NOT HERE TO LEARN AND SHARE ONLY TO STIR THINGS UP AND WILL BE NO LOSS TO THE FORUM AS HE HAS NOTHING TO CONTRIBUTE HERE EXCEPT BILE.

ITS KIND OF FUNNY AS I HAVE NEVER USED THE RED THUMBS DOWN BUT IF HE WAS IN THE ARENA IN OLD ROME I AM SURE THE DOWNTURNED THUMB WOULD SURELY BE HIS FATE.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2007, 11:28 PM   #26
ariel

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANDOO
THIS KIND OF BEHAVIOR AND THE USE OF 4 LETTER WORDS ONLY IDENTIFIES A TROLL . HE IS NOT HERE TO LEARN AND SHARE ONLY TO STIR THINGS UP AND WILL BE NO LOSS TO THE FORUM AS HE HAS NOTHING TO CONTRIBUTE HERE EXCEPT BILE.

ITS KIND OF FUNNY AS I HAVE NEVER USED THE RED THUMBS DOWN BUT IF HE WAS IN THE ARENA IN OLD ROME I AM SURE THE DOWNTURNED THUMB WOULD SURELY BE HIS FATE.
+1
Old 28th December 2007, 12:17 AM   #27
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Quote:
Originally Posted by katana
"Humor is a universal language." ..........Joel Goodman
So true, but sometimes what is humor for one/s is not so for the other/s .
When one plays ( so often ) with humor, he must be qualifyed on its extent, to put it that way.
Having said that, i am quite surprised why this thread wasn't locked before it got so low gauged.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2007, 01:51 AM   #28
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I asked BJ to post some examples of cutlasses in line with the pirate weapons thread which has proven most interesting, and he was kind enough to post these superb weapons, which include a kukri. Naturally the kukri itself is not known as a naval weapon, but the course of this thread should have been to identify the weapons overall and share thoughts and observations. The sheet metal guard on the kukri is clearly variant, and although suggesting many of the naval sheet metal guards on cutlasses, cannot be proven as having maritime connections without some provenance indicating that.

As we have seen, what might have been a worthwhile discussion digressed into a rather pathetic and disappointing display of unfortunate behavior. Hopefully this may serve as a textbook example of how not to behave on a forum.

My compliments to those who remained gentlemen during this regretful display.

Jim
Old 28th December 2007, 11:03 AM   #29
spiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
So true, but sometimes what is humor for one/s is not so for the other/s .
When one plays ( so often ) with humor, he must be qualifyed on its extent, to put it that way.
If all humour was qualified Fernando it woudnt be humour any more I think? But if I had just said half the Nepali navy is a camoflaged pedailo, he would still fiegn upset. Thats what trolls do.

if Arny objected to my comment {s} {he didnt actualy say what he objected to. Another classic troll tactic.} , fair enough thats fine, he could of said so, withort resorting to terms like "Childish" & "stupid" He was just looking to make me angry so he could have a fight with him playing a moral stance.

It didnt work as ive spoken to trolls before & learnt my lesson hopefully, although I must admit I do respond to them, just not in the way they want.

So he persits with insults & obscenities to both myself & a moderater to get a fight going.

Appologies Bruce, Jim , Mark & evryone else, for bieng part of the trivia in this thread, drawing it away from part its correct focus on occasion.I felt I had to respond though.

Anyway lets get back to the history of the Nepali Naval weapons!

Perhaps Arny can share some examples?

Spiral
Old 28th December 2007, 11:55 AM   #30
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Hi Spiral

Quote:
If all humour was qualified Fernando it woudnt be humour any more I think? Spiral
I am afraid you are missing the point, probably because i didn't make myself understood.
It is not humor that has to be qualified, but the person who delivers it. We must take into account the level of culture, religion or stupidity of the person or persons susceptible to be reached by it. Those are the delicate issues, not the fineness of humor itself. If it is poor, the delivered can only laugh of the deliverer. Also if he doesn't like to swallow it and he is well educated, he will just have to put aside in the plate.
Education is from the one who practises it, not from the one who deserves it.
I have once read a certain quotation, that said more or less the following: allways avoid to go down arguing with a low grade person; he is in his natural environment, hence he will destroy you.
Fernando
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote