Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 25th March 2007, 03:19 PM   #1
Tim Simmons

Default Ceylon Knife.

I got this today. Temptation=Guilt+Explanation to the wife why you need another knife you really cannot afford. Not really my sort of thing with silver foil on the scabbard and frilly knickers work else where. The blade is remarkably heavy with the back being 1cm. Are these widespread? Tamil or Singhalese are they found in India as well? Total length of knife 32cm. I know somebody has got lots of these.

Last edited by Tim Simmons; 25th March 2007 at 08:07 PM.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2007, 03:23 PM   #2
katana

Hi Tim, looks to be a very nice piece...love the decorative features...can't help with origin though
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2007, 04:05 PM   #3
Flavio

Thumbs up

Congratulations Tim, a beautiful piece
Flavio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2007, 04:30 PM   #4
Emanuel

Hi Tim,
You got a beautiful piha kaetta, from Sri-Lanka. I saw one on ebay a wek ago going for about 40GBP, mis-labelled, but most of the blade had been broken off - I let it go. After Jens indicated that very high quality wootz was traded from Sri-Lanka, I wonder whether these knives indeed have wootx blades. Could you give it an etch and see?

Check out this collection: http://www.pihakaetta.com/gallery.php

Emanuel
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2007, 05:31 PM   #5
Tim Simmons

Thanks for the praise As I said not my usual thing. I was hoping for more info than a quick search revealed. Me etch!!!!!! I do not need my bumps felt thank you
Old 25th March 2007, 07:41 PM   #6
Bill M

It is a very good piha kaetta. You did very well! Good scabbard also. The scabbards are more rare.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2007, 08:12 PM   #7
Tim Simmons

Thanks Bill. I like the handle and the weight of the whole thing, only all the silver decoration is foil. I Know it is still hand chased but it seems to me to be fairly routine work.
Old 25th March 2007, 08:22 PM   #8
not2sharp

Tim,

That is a nice example; you did well. I find the styling and workmanship on these to be very consistent. They were likely all made by the same school of craftmen in Kandy, Ceylon. Welcome to the club!

n2s
not2sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2007, 12:51 AM   #9
Battara
EAAF Staff

I'm not into piha kaetta, but you have a nice puppy (woof! ).
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2007, 11:52 PM   #10
derek

Hi Tim,
You did well for someone with different collecting priorities! That's a very complete piha. As Bill noted the scabbards can be the most rare piece.

I like the pattern in the brass (vine patterns are called "liya vela", I think). I have seen a few others with the same. I have a some different variations but not that exact one.

Congrats on that find. I need to do an update on the pihakaetta.com pics. I'll add yours if you're okay with it.

-d
derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2007, 02:08 AM   #11
Emanuel

Default A question...

Is there any cultural, geographical or temporal distinction between the pihas with a tip that angles towards the edge, and those that curve towards the spine? I noticed this in a number of pieces and I am wondering whether the backwards sweep is due to the blade having been broken.

For comparisons, I'm adding a picture from Oriental-Arms. In this example the sheath follows the same curvature, possibly indicating it was original.

Regards,
Emanuel
Attached Images

Old 2nd April 2007, 03:01 AM   #12
derek

Hi Manolo,

Take a look at this article:
http://www.pihakaetta.com/sinhala_weapons_armor_low.pdf

Page 8 mentions different names for piha variations. I've noted this before, but "piha kaetta" is a Stone term that is a little contradictory in Sinhalese, but it is in fact used to describe one specific type of chopping knife. "Piha" denotes the decorative knife like we are discussing. "Da Kaetta" is a more utilitarian chopping knife.

Anyway, to answer your question, yes there are many specific names for piha variations such as Ul Piha (the slender straight example you posted), Gal Mita Piha (the kind with the crystal or jade handles), Vak Piha (curved blade), etc.

Sorry, the PDf is a rough scan, but readable if you're interested.

-d
Old 2nd April 2007, 07:14 AM   #13
Tim Simmons

Thanks for the information. I do not think the blade is wootz. You are welcome to use the pic, I find that rather a compliment. Are these really a fighting knife? It is sharp or was very sharp. Would give a terrible slash or chop. Perhaps more defencive?
Old 2nd April 2007, 02:26 PM   #14
Emanuel

Thank you very much Derek, I missed that file on your website. I'll get to reading it.

Emanuel
Old 2nd April 2007, 05:07 PM   #15
derek

Tim,

I have never seen a wootz blade on a piha. Most look to be laminated and possibly some were differentially hardened similar to a Japanese sword. Many of mine have striations in steel very much like the older kukris I have.

I have one piha with very distinct streaks of nickel in the blade.

There is a reference to the fine quality ore found in Ceylon in at least one of my articles. I'll see if I can find it. Most people don't think that quality was reflected in the blades produced there.

From what I've read, the more ornate metalwork on the scarbbards (like yours) came later. That and the elaborate work on the knife itself would be indicative of a gift to honour a person of rank, possibly worn by a chief. I doubt it would have been a useful fighting knife! The phrase "just sit there and look pretty" comes to mind.

I don't know for certain what a fighting piha would be, but maybe it was a plainer version like this: