Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 13th April 2016, 07:12 AM   #1
Panzerraptor

Default Kora

Hello again. I'm back and I'd like to share a new acquisition that I managed to obtain just yesterday: the unique sacrificial blade - the Kora. This is the fourth sword to my collection.

I guess I could get into a little backstory, which is a bit fun. Last month, I was browsing the net and I found myself on an auction site. Feeling bored, but a bit adventurous, I found a listing featuring a listing for a "Indo-Persian Sword with Two Shields" with the starting bid at about 10 GBP. After about a couple of days, the final price was 110 GBP, and guess who has two thumbs and won that lot. This guy!lol Anyway, after week of playing the waiting game with the auctioneer and another couple weeks waiting for validation with the shipping company, I managed to get the two swords and the kora at such a low price, I feel like I made off like a bandit!lol So I left the shields in the box still wrapped and have the kora on my wall in all its glory.

Anyway, enough of my gloating, onto the main point. The kora I obtained is roughly twenty-seven inches in length with a sharp curve at the end and a flange. This signature feature is clearly a sign that the weapon in my possession was most likely created for ceremonial purposes as, from what I understand, the versions used for battle were thinner, lighter, and had a smaller flange and curve. There is some light decoration along the blade with a sun with either a gold/brass central face and a war god on opposing sides of the flange and then figures within squares near the hilt of the sword (one of which covered in gold or brass). Speaking of the hilt, this kora's grip has a strange configuration. From what I've seen, kora hilts usually have a pair of disc shaped plates on opposing sides of the leather wrapped handle or at least a simple hand guard. However, this specimen has a metal hilt with balled ends on the crossguard and a remnant of a spike at below the familiar bottom disc. Perhaps this sword is a hybrid carrying a simplified khanda grip?

Anyway, I'm guessing this Kora is either 18th or 19th Century and hailing from Nepal based on the accompanying shields. Of course, I'm not entirely sure if that's the case. Can anyone help me assess this beautiful sword?
Attached Images

Panzerraptor is offline   Reply With Quote