Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30th December 2016, 05:41 PM   #1
NotoriousCal

Default Keris and us customs?

Hello group, I am a united States citizen and I want to but a keris. Are there any dealers inside the states? I was just informed my US customs and border control in Pennsylvania that knives have to be a certain length ect.
Tell me this isn't true.
NotoriousCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2016, 08:25 PM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

Cal, I assume you posted this in the Ethno forum because it is not specific to keris even though that is what you mention here and i do agree, if that was your intention, that you will get a broader response here.
From my personal experience i have never had any problem receiving any blades of any length from outside the country due to U.S. customs laws. I live in Ohio, so i am not aware of any specific laws about receiving blades of any particular length based upon Pennsylvania State law, but AFAIK no such law exists in Ohio. Were you informed about this by a member of the U.S. Customs dept. or simply by a friend?
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2016, 10:36 PM   #3
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

THE ONLY LAW I KNOW OF REGARDING LENGTH IS THAT YOU CAN'T CARRY A KNIFE WITH A BLADE MORE THAN 4 INCHES LONG IN PUBLIC. EXCEPTIONS ARE HUNTING KNIVES THAT CAN BE CARRIED WHEN HUNTING OR IN THE COUNTRY. SWORDS ARE OFTEN CARRIED AT RENAISSANCE FAIRS AND SUCH THESE ARE TIED INTO THEIR SCABBARDS WITH A CORD AT FAIRS.
SOME STATES AND TOWNS HAVE LAWS AGAINST SWITCH BLADE AND BUTTERFLY KNIVES. AS FAR AS I KNOW CUSTOMS DOESN'T PROHIBIT SWORDS AND SUCH BEING SHIPPED IN AS LONG AS IT DOESN'T HAVE RESTRICTED ANIMAL MATTER SUCH AS IVORY , HORN ECT.
COLLECTING OR HAVING KERIS DAGGERS SHOULD NOT BE A PROBLEM UNDER CURRENT LAWS.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2016, 11:05 PM   #4
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Cal:

There is no problem shipping knives and swords into the U.S. as long as they conform to the CITES requirements. State and local laws may restrict ownership of certain types of knives, such as switchblades, but this should not be an issue with U.S. customs. You may have more problems trying to bring something with you into the country rather than having it shipped by another party.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2016, 12:52 AM   #5
Laowang

I've purchased a number of keris from international sources over the last few years; some have been sent to me through international mail (either from international dealers, or eBay sellers), others I have brought back from trips to SE Asia in my luggage. I've never had a problem with US customs in either case. I've typically declared my keris on the customs declaration form when going through US customs, and no customs agent ever bothered to even inspect it (I've done this at least four times, with everything from a 13" long Palembang keris to a 19" long Balinese keris).

Per Ian's comment below, pay attention to CITES restrictions. Elephant ivory and turtle shell (which sometimes occurs on Javanese pendoks) are forbidden, and subject to seizure and destruction. Customs agents are unlikely to be able to distinguish between elephant ivory and other forms of material (hippo teeth, marine ivory) that appear similar.
Laowang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2017, 03:58 PM   #6
ariel

May I be allowed to make a heretical suggestion?
On many occasions I saw pics of thousands upon thousands of elephant tusks seized by the authorities and publicly burned.
Instead, wouldn' it be better to sell them on an open market driving the prices down and use the proceeds to finance anti-poacher efforts?
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2017, 04:18 PM   #7
Oliver Pinchot

There you go making sense again, Ariel
Oliver Pinchot is offline   Reply With Quote