Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 5th January 2018, 11:35 PM   #1
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Default Continuing the Indonesian/Sumatran theme

With the cold winter weather set in now in the Midwest, I've been going through some of the older parts of my collection. Stuff that is not my main interest, but nevertheless interesting.

As a teen in the 1960s I had a passion for traveling in SE Asia, and it was during that time that I started picking up knives and swords because they were cool and generally inexpensive. I opened up a trunk today that had been in storage with my parents for 40+ years. Quite a time capsule.

Anyway, at the bottom wrapped in a few old tee shirts were some of the very first pieces I collected. They came from Sumatra when I was backpacking around in 1967 or 1968. I don't remember exactly where I got them, but all five cost me a total of no more than $100. Since Indonesian weapons are not my primary interest, I'm posting them here for a little more information.

In the first picture, I believe that I have an amanremu on top and two sikin panjang below that. In the second picture, I think the top one is a co jang, and the one below some type of parang (but I need help with a more precise name). They all have laminated blades and horn hilts.

The hilt on the amanremu was damaged and repaired some time before I got it. I've shown further pictures of that hilt, and you can see that the two arms of the "V" shaped end of the hulu babah are gone, replaced by a roughly shaped piece of wood that fills the space where they would have been.

Ian.
Attached Images

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2018, 12:43 AM   #2
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
Anyway, at the bottom wrapped in a few old tee shirts were some of the very first pieces I collected. They came from Sumatra when I was backpacking around in 1967 or 1968. I don't remember exactly where I got them, but all five cost me a total of no more than $100.
I envy you! I think that it was a most interesting time! I was to young at this time. (born 1959)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
In the first picture, I believe that I have an amanremu on top and two sikin panjang below that. In the second picture, I think the top one is a co jang, and the one below some type of parang (but I need help with a more precise name). They all have laminated blades and horn hilts.
All correct identified, the one in down at the second picture is a Ladieng from Aceh. Very niece piece!

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2018, 02:25 AM   #3
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Thanks Detlef. Ladieng it is.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote