Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 26th April 2015, 10:32 AM   #1
theMarmotGuy

Default Help with Afghan knife ID

I have an item that just narrowly escaped the dump. I retrieved it from a house that I was tasked with "clearing for re-sale" after a marital/mental/financial breakdown. Knowing nothing about knives except the Swiss Army variety, I wish to gain some further appreciation of what "IT" is.

I know nothing about provenance, but I do know that the owner was ex-Canadian Forces, served in Afghanistan, and is currently under full-time physician care. My desire is to preserve this item, document it, and perhaps learn interesting things in the process. In a perfect world the ex-serviceman might want it back someday, and if your forum members could help, perhaps that could happen with an enhanced appreciation of the souvenir that he brought home...and then intentionally left behind.

The piece?
- it's hefty and solid (475 grams)
- full tang, wooden handle
- the engraving is asymmetrical
- the map of Afghanistan shows some interesting boundary issues
- the deer engraving is interesting in that the deer lack antlers (presumably a musk deer that was thought to have become extinct circa 1948?)

Restoration work?
- I wished I'd photographed it in situ. It was rusted and looked like junk.
- Only treatment so far has been WD-40 and elbow-grease.

I'll try to make some better images as the quality of the engraving is really nice. Sorry for my long-winded email, but I was dumbfounded when I couldn't find anything even remotely similar in blade-shape, construction or finishing.

Best wishes from Canada,
Andrew
Attached Images

theMarmotGuy is offline   Reply With Quote