Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 9th May 2015, 10:59 AM   #1
weapons 27

Default big flissa for comment please

could you give me your opinion on this flissa
I have never seen a flissa with this big Blade model...
It is 71cm long and blade at widest 5, 5cm, a piece of the handle is missing..
There are two coat of arms is a decoration, or a marking?
Thanks for your comments
Attached Images

weapons 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2015, 10:00 PM   #2
Emanuel

Hello,

Finally a new flyssa on the forum

I have handled a number of flyssa and I do not know where this short beefy type fits in. I do not know if it's an older kind closer to a yataghan, or a later 19th century type made for the new colonial market. The "coat-of-arms" is new to me. It is not consistent with the classic geometric Kabyle decorative elements, and the brass decoration seems excessive. The "coat-of-arms" looks European inspired, with what looks like a fleur de lys. The cross-hatching on the blade looks crude and the handle doesn't look like it ever had brass covering.

I'm tending to a later 19th century date on this piece, possibly not produced by the Iflissen, who originally developed the flyssa.

Here is a group with a long flyssa also with 5-6cm wide blade. http://vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=12938

And here is one that might be of the earliest kind http://vikingsword.com/vb/showpost.p...75&postcount=1 . Its construction is much closer to Anatolian Ottoman yataghan.

Regards,
Emanuel

Last edited by Emanuel; 11th May 2015 at 10:15 PM.
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2015, 10:28 PM   #3
Kubur

Hi
To my own knowledge and opinion, your flyssa is not so special.
You have two main types of long flyssa:
- the long "dart" one that can reaches up to 1m long
- the "yatagan" type, massive, between 50 to 80cm
Yours belongs to the second type.
Like Manuel I believe the second type was influenced by Ottoman yatagan.
Yours is really beautiful due to the decorations on the blade with large incised panels and cooper inlays. The medaillon is not a coat-of-arms. The handle is not really nice, a close photo will show us if the wooden grip was originally covered with cooper/bronze.
Best,
Kubur
Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2015, 12:40 PM   #4
weapons 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubur
Hi
To my own knowledge and opinion, your flyssa is not so special.
You have two main types of long flyssa:
- the long "dart" one that can reaches up to 1m long
- the "yatagan" type, massive, between 50 to 80cm
Yours belongs to the second type.
Like Manuel I believe the second type was influenced by Ottoman yatagan.
Yours is really beautiful due to the decorations on the blade with large incised panels and cooper inlays. The medaillon is not a coat-of-arms. The handle is not really nice, a close photo will show us if the wooden grip was originally covered with cooper/bronze.
Best,
Kubur
I do not think that it is been covered with brass, no visible mark
Although it lacks a piece of the handle
It is very heavy 850 grams
Attached Images

weapons 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2015, 09:37 PM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Interesting comments, and I think the term best describing these is probably 'unique', as while they typically are remarkably similar in their overall appearance, they are often deeply nuanced in many of the shapes, sizes and decorative devices .

Whenever I see a flyssa, quite honestly the first thing in my mind is Emanuel!! I think this man has studied these fascinating weapons far more than anyone else I have ever known. We've had great discussions here on these over many years.

The thing on flyssa is that they are actually a kind of traditional icon among these Berber tribes in these Algerian regions, and as I have understood serve as a kind of 'rite of passage' for young men. While the traditional motif of linear fibular triangles and other characteristic features seem to prevail in most cases, there are singular devices as seen here which seem to be more custom designed for individuals or perhaps groups. Indeed these are not 'heraldic' but I believe amuletic and in accord with the context of the traditional motif which is also talismanic.

While most of the tribes of the Iflyssen groups remained independent of the Ottoman rulers, they were deeply influenced by their weapons, and while the young men highly favored the yataghans, it seems that these 'unique' and now indigenous 'flyssa' were developed as local versions influenced by the earlier forms of yataghan.

The possibly earlier example flyssa linked by Emanuel is most interesting, and the linear motif along the back of the blade seems to relate perhaps to the Byzantine type motifs often seen in these cultures. It has been extremely difficult to establish chronology and origins of the flyssa, and as Emanuel has pointed out some time ago, they were in dramatic decline by the latter years of the 19th c.
I think the first recorded use of the word 'flyssa' was around 1827, and the earliest 'provenanced' example I have ever found was captured by the French Foreign Legion c. 1857 (?).

Thank you for sharing this very sturdy looking example Weapons27, and I hope there will be more discussion on these interesting swords here.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2015, 09:06 PM   #6
Emanuel

Thumbs up

Thank you for your kind words Jim

I have you to thank for setting me on the flyssa path years ago

What's interesting about these thicker, shorter ones is that they've been popping up more often over the last few years. Perhaps because more people recognize them as flyssa, don't know.

Weapons27, some of these never had brass covering, as you can see by the missing tacks that would hold the brass sheets on the handle. You can really see the construction of the handle and the thick integral bolster / thin tang assembly. This kind of handle construction is weird.

Regards,
Emanuel
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2015, 10:49 PM   #7
ariel

Here is mine: deeply incised blade and wooden handle.
Obviously stems fom ottoman yataghans, and eerily reminiscent of the earliest ones, belonging to BayezidII, Selim I and Suleiman the Magnificient.
Attached Images

Last edited by ariel; 17th June 2015 at 11:11 PM.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote