Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th June 2015, 08:24 AM   #1
Roland_M

Default Book tip of an islamic knight during the crusades

Usama ibn Munqidh

"An Arab-Syrian Gentleman and Warrior in the Period of the Crusades; Memoirs of Usāmah ibn-Munqidh "

A very informative autobiography about the time of Saladin and Lionheart from the hand of a well known islamic knight.
Some contents about his arms and armour and their usage. Very interesting and informative.
For example, the best syrian edged weapons (swords) in this period came from India. Many franconian and syrian Knights used two layers of franconian chainmail armour over eachother during the battle.

More details here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usama_ibn_Munqidh

I am thankful for further book tips.

Regards, Roland

Last edited by Roland_M; 17th June 2015 at 08:34 AM.
Roland_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2015, 09:12 AM   #2
Kubur

Hi Roland,

It's true about the Indian steel.
If you are interested about that, have a look at this book.
http://www.oxbowbooks.com/oxbow/medi...ordmaking.html
You'll have all kind of swords, the best blades were from India & Persia.
Somewhere around the 15th c. the situation changed and Muslims started to import European blades...

Best wishes,
Kubur
Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2015, 12:23 PM   #3
Roland_M

Hi Kubur,

many thanks for your reply and for the book tip. I will order this book in the next few days.

I forgot to mention, that the autobiography of Usamah ibn Munqidh is a phantastic source for everyday life in that period.

Kind regards, Roland
Old 17th June 2015, 12:34 PM   #4
ariel

Yes, it is a fascinating book, no doubt.
However, just like all autobiographies it is very subjective and self- congratulatory: all descriptions of extremely brave and noble behavior of the author as well as those of cowardly, treacherous and villainous behavior of his opponents should be read with a healthy dose of skepticism :-)
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2015, 02:58 PM   #5
Roland_M

Hi Ariel,

I think every author tends to exaggerate his doings.

But this author also tells about his defeats and mistakes, this is why i really like this guy and i wish, he would be my friend. I would do almost everything for him.

He was also well-respected by the franconians. For his period he was really open minded.

Regards, Roland
Old 17th June 2015, 07:03 PM   #6
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland_M
Usama ibn Munqidh

"An Arab-Syrian Gentleman and Warrior in the Period of the Crusades; Memoirs of Usāmah ibn-Munqidh "

A very informative autobiography about the time of Saladin and Lionheart from the hand of a well known islamic knight.
Some contents about his arms and armour and their usage. Very interesting and informative.
For example, the best syrian edged weapons (swords) in this period came from India. Many franconian and syrian Knights used two layers of franconian chainmail armour over eachother during the battle.

More details here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usama_ibn_Munqidh

I am thankful for further book tips.

Regards, Roland

Salaams Roland_M and what an excellent reference that is... I would go as far to suggest that of the 5 or 6 top references in this field your reference must be in the top echelon ... I would say to all Forum researchers ~Hoist in what this reference delivers and I would say you will be well on the way to grasping the essence of this subject... Type into web search the name Usama ibn Munqidh and enjoy the ride ... There is some excellent detail and mediaeval artistry in support...

#Brilliant ..!!

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote