Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 7th October 2016, 10:28 PM   #1
Marcus

Default Origins of the Mandinka saber

As I understand, the heyday of the Mandinka was prior to the eighteenth century and today they are spread through many modern African nations. This sword is very recognizable as a "Mandinka saber", but it is unclear to me what kind of warrior tradition the Mandinka have had for the last two hundred years.

How far back does this form go?

What is known about its origin?

Also, I think I am not alone in wondering why this rather stereotyped form does not have a name of its own but is rather just a "Mandinka saber". I found this comment in an old thread:

“I forgot to include previously that I once showed illustrations of one of these Mandinka sabres to a man who was of Fulani descent and from Guinea. He identified this sabre as termed a 'kota' if I recall correctly, claiming that the scabbard was termed 'holga' (= house 'for the sword'). While these distinctly formed sabres do not seem to ever be called by a specific term, only referred to as a 'Mandinka' et al , sword, I have often wondered what they were called locally.”

Based on its condition I would not think it is very old but would be happy for comments/guesses on this as well.

Marcus
Attached Images

Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2016, 11:44 PM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thank you for posting a very pertinent and valid query. Actually the quote was mine, and I believe from my own attempts at establishing the lineage and development of these sabres about 15 or more years ago. The efforts however typically did not gain traction, so it is good to see the topic revived.

If you look at the open hilt, somewhat cylindrical without any sort of guard, it is remarkably similar to the Omani sword known as the 'kattara'. These open hilt broadswords are keenly associated with the Omani Sultanate of Zanzibar as seen in Burton (1885).

The idea I tried to advance in those times was that this distinct similarity was likely founded in the trade networks which connected Mali with the East African trade centers, including of course Zanzibar. Since the Omani traders were prominently represented in these trade networks, it does not seem implausible that the Manding, who were the controlling tribe and merchants themselves, would not have been influenced by the swords of the Omani.

The prevalent blades that occur in these Manding swords are typically of French origin with their availability (French West Africa), however there are numerous cases of German with trade volume of these present. The Tuareg takouba with curved blades (aljuinar) sometimes used similar sourced blades and I have even seen British 'Mole' blades on them.

As the kattara swords of Oman with these type open hilts (with knob or square pommel) are not believed to have begun much before early 19th century, it would seem to set the style of these Manding sabres in most probably mid 19th century. As the character of these hilts does not correspond to other hilt types in those Western regions, I am inclined to believe they must have been taken from the Omani hilts.

As with most of these African sword forms, they seem mostly to have been late comers to 'sword tradition' in Sahelian as well as Sudanese tribal cultures, with early 19th century being the start period. There were of course swords present with many of the ranking or noble individuals of probably European form, but in most cases, spears and such other edged forms were predominant tribally.

The influx of trade blades in the 19th century created the advance of sword culture and in the case of these Manding sabres, I believe they arose from Omani merchant influences coupled with those availabilities of blades from trade or colonial sources.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2016, 06:01 AM   #3
Kubur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
Based on its condition I would not think it is very old but would be happy for comments/guesses on this as well.
Marcus
Hi Marcus,
You have a very nice Malinke sword, the European blade is 19th c. I think that the whole sword is end of 19th c. In very good condition.
Kubur
Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2016, 11:28 AM   #4
CharlesS

A 1907 photo postcard....
Attached Images

CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2016, 03:55 PM   #5
Marcus

Default a Kattera by any other name

If we recognize a Sudanese Haladie, why not call these Mandinka Kattara?
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2016, 05:17 PM   #6
Kubur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
If we recognize a Sudanese Haladie, why not call these Mandinka Kattara?
Because it's only Jim's opinion.
Old 8th October 2016, 06:06 PM   #7
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubur
Because it's only Jim's opinion.

Hi Kubur,
Thank you for the note, and very much agreed, the material I post is indeed my own opinion and based on the research and notes from years past as well as resources we are all pretty much familiar with .
I'm glad you pointed this out, as I always look forward to the opinions and findings of others pertaining to the topics I address. In my opinion that is how we learn, I know I do, as others present different views, and if the supported data warrants, my opinion does adjust accordingly.

Concerning a term to describe these sabres, it is what we have long referred to in these pages as 'the name game'. I suppose in some sense one could call these a Manding kattara, but I would imagine that would bring some dissent as well as powerful debate.

Re: haladie
The Sudanese 'haladie' noted is of course known as the Syrian dagger (Stone, 1937) and was a weapon derived from the Rapjut double bladed madu and the mendicant versions. These most probably entered the Sudanese arsenal via the Mamluks out of Syria.
I am unclear on what language the term haladie derives from.
Old 8th October 2016, 10:18 PM   #8
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

It seems to me that Mendinka is the perfect descriptive term for this form which is completely different including the huge paddle style to the very ornate scabbard with tooled leather and decorated flaps in squared geometric design arrangements hung as tassles...with a crude baldric arrangement crafted from leather plaited strands with miniature shields at the points where the sword is hung. The hilt is unique with a rounded brass pommel .. again uniquely tribal and very much the Mendinka mark.

p.s. A good deal of work went into the discussion on Haladie at http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?p=57877

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 8th October 2016 at 10:38 PM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2016, 10:49 PM   #9
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Another key point, the scabbards on these carry the familiar flared ends of the Sudanese kaskara, reflecting the transmission of the Omani hilts through those regions prior to trans Saharan networks to Mali and environs. Traffic from Zanzibar into the interior certainly would account for the diffusion of these weapons, just as the so called 'Zanzibar Sword' (Demmin, 1877; Burton 1885; Buttin 1933) was transmitted from Morocco (s'boula daggers) to Zanzibar.

The cross pollination of these weapons reflect the key importance of trade networks in the diffusion of these weapon forms across vast geography .

The name game is actually more a matter of preference for collectors in describing their pieces. For those concerned with the history and development of ethnographic forms it is best to elaborate and qualify terms, rather than try to classify broadly in a category.
As 'Manding sabre' these are instantly recognized, while trying to place them in 'kattara' heading would cause confusion (in my opinion).
Old 10th October 2016, 07:57 AM   #10
TVV

Do we have any actual evidence of Omani traders reaching as far as the Western Sahel? Barth does not mention any Arabian traders as far as I recall, with the caravans all being led by Tuaregs or people from the Maghreb or Hausaland. Omani trading and slave raiding activity seems to have been limited to the Eastern African coast and to Central Africa. Considering how late the incursions into the Congo occurred, I am not sure how much time there was for the form to spread all the way to what is nowadays Mali (and completely skip the Eastern Sahel in the Process).

My personal hypothesis is that the Mandingo hilt form developed totally independently and locally. One can see similarities with some dagger hilts from Western Africa (the daggers themselves have not been studied properly, but this is probably another topic). I am attaching some for comparison: the blade is inserted into a cylindrical hilt without a guard, with a circular pommel. Some of the spherical pommels are not too dissimilar to brass pommels on Mandingo swords. The Mandingo sword hilt could be a simplified version of these dagger hilts.

The similarity with Omani hilts is only limited to the shape of the hilt, however, elements such as pommels and bands on the hilts of Mandingo swords and their absence on the Omani hilt suggest to me that we may be reaching in trying to link the two.

Regards,
Teodor
Attached Images

TVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2016, 04:33 PM   #11
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Teodor,
Very well made points, and agreed that often cases of trying to trace the developments of various forms can be tenuous as examining certain clues and nuances seek the possible origins of influences.

The key issue of that distinct scabbard flare has been an almost taunting factor to me as long as I have studied these swords of Africa. The fact that this feature appears as noted, almost invariably on the kaskaras of Sudan, but nowhere else in African sword scabbards....EXCEPT in Mali, with the Manding sabre.

So in these years, there has much speculation on what in the world this flared end means, and of course the most obvious suggestion is that it is the head of a crocodile (or snake would be also thought of as they are also seen in local motif in cases). I have seen notes of this feature on more ancient iconography which of course predates kaskara by more than centuries, but was on an edged weapon scabbard, but even this was inconclusive. I need to find the notes but it was I think a frieze of a king of Meroe with sword .

To me it seems that this notable feature is most likely meant to symbolize something, such as the crocodile head since such symbolism is of course key in the material culture and folk religions/traditions of these regional cultures. But why would it be present in Sudanese context, yet did not effect the sword cultures of the Sahara and beyond while blades, and many other characteristics did? Again, EXCEPT Mali .

In my comments on the possible influence of Omani traders on the Manding, I was inclear on the nature of that plausibility. I did not mean that Omani traders, in person, were present in these areas to the west and of course not as far as West Africa itself. What I meant is that the trade networks were the conduit in which influences are diffused, and these vast connections are relays where interactions carrying them take place.

To the Omani, these open hilt swords were primarily status oriented, much as the khanjhar daggers. That the importance of these swords was probably notably taunted to other traders in these networks must be strongly considered. While slaving was one of the key commodities as these networks moved from Zanzibar inland and northward, we cannot imagine that groups of slaves travelled such distances across the Sahara. However, as these routes entered various entrepots and centers goods etc were exchanged with the those of caravans from the west at these points, weapons and their forms etc. would catch the interest of those individuals.

It is agreed that the hilt on the dagger with cylindrical shape is compelling and seems to be of Cameroon style. But is this the result of such influences from the Manding swords, or a prototype? We cannot be sure without well provenanced examples which might provide some chronology. That there is a similarity cannot be denied, but from historical and developmental perspective we can only recognize that for face value.

The idea of independent evolution of the hilt form and styling as well as the mysterious scabbard flare in remarkably distant areas, yet profoundly keyed to two indigenous points seems almost as tenuous as the idea of direct influence.
We know that Omani infuences were 'relayed' via trade networks from Zanzibar originations and traversing African regions, via Sudan, thenceforth westward across the Sahara. One connecting point was Darfur. The most notable commonality in the nature of the trade of the caravans as well as this very region ....slaving. It was here, in my opinion, that the distinct scabbard feature (from the scabbards of kaskaras) confluence with the open hilt styling of the kattara, and these influences travelled westward.

The Omani swords with their distinct hilts, probably with curved blades, and seen with swaggering slave merchants as marks of power and prestige, may have been acquired by traders in the caravans. As they exchanged with other segments of the caravan networks, the power of the Darfur traders, here symbolized by their kaskara (with flared scabbard tip) , probably also were acquired by said traders.

Arriving in Mali, the routes were controlled by the key merchant class of the Manding. As they exchanged with the traders from the east, would it not seem likely that they may have been impressed by the profoundly status oriented swords of slave traders and merchants of Zanzibar and Darfur?
Keen leather workers, they may well have adopted the cylindrical open hilt and as they designed the symbol laden and handsome scabbards so notable on their sabres, and amalgamated the symbolic scabbard flare recalling that of the Darfur traders.

Teodor, thank you for carrying this topic to discussion where we can present and compare our views. I always look forward to other views and hope others will join in. The history of these various forms is fascinating, and its great to learn more as we look at these views.

All best regards
Jim
Old 10th October 2016, 05:57 PM   #12
Iain

Just a few thoughts, the point about the handles of these weapons and the similarity to Arab forms is the most easy to dismiss I think. Wrapping a blade with a bit of leather and adding a pommel is not something I think that requires much of an outside influence.

The more interesting element I think is the flared scabbard. Jim of course makes a good point about the relative rarity of this feature and the fact that the intermediate takouba form which geographically comes between the kaskara and these sabres emphatically does not have this feature.

However, not all kaskara have a flared tip, not all of these saber scabbards have a flared tip.

If I could perhaps suggest a direction of research, both the flared scabbards of the Sudan and the sabers under discussion originate with peoples who migrated to the areas they currently occupy. Looking for a convergent period of contact might explain this feature far better than (in my opinion) and a shared heritage than influence from Omani traders.
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2016, 09:34 PM   #13
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Iain,
Really glad to have you in on this!! As admitted, these are pretty much free association comparisons, however they must be considered no matter how tenuous or simply too obvious as factors in these equations. The presence of Arab trade, whether maritime or via caravans and trade networks throughout Africa was so much more complex than imagined, and as you know, it seems more is discovered al the time.

As you note, creation of a handle on a blade is pretty much an obvious solution for holding the thing without any particular artistic or creative skill. Here again though, the almost blatant simplicity and character of such a hilt seems to have avoided being adopted by most tribal cultures across the Sahelian and Sudanese areas. The simple flattened cylinder hilt of Oman, as the Arabian entity we are considering, seems to have arisen somewhere in Africa as it certainly does not seem to have suddenly appeared in Oman or other Arabian regions. We might be tempted to consider the open hilt and guardless sabres of various Bedouin tribes in Palestinian regions, and how these might have transmitted into Egypt-Sudan-Sahara, but there again we have a tenuous situation. The trade route 'syndrome' seems more viable.

The idea of seeking the flared scabbard tip from migrating peoples and symbolism from these transmitted is of course well placed. As I noted, it seems that Merotic ancestry may be possible with whatever symbolic character it had, and we know that migrations westward from Nilotic regions were the case in early times.
But again, why the dramatic chronological gap, with no evidence of this feature regionally anywhere else but Sudan?

The 'laws of variation' of course make allowance for the fact that all kaskara do not have the flared feature on scabbards, but how often do we see exceptions? How often are the Manding scabbards different? It is the preponderance of these features in these dual, seemingly disconnected instances that give us cause to wonder on what connection there might be. I still think the trade conduit I suggested may be viable, but of course remain open to other possibilities as you note. There are few who know these tribal cultures as you do with the years of tenacious study, but I simply want to test out these possibilities.

All the best
Jim
Old 10th October 2016, 10:17 PM   #14
CharlesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain
However, not all kaskara have a flared tip, not all of these saber scabbards have a flared tip.
Often the straight swords I have seen from this region with the same type hilts, do not have a scabbard with a flared tip, even though so much else about the scabbard is the same.
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2016, 08:45 AM   #15
Iain

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesS
Often the straight swords I have seen from this region with the same type hilts, do not have a scabbard with a flared tip, even though so much else about the scabbard is the same.
Correct, although I've seen a few flared as well.

On the flip side I've seen several curved examples also lacking the flair. Doesn't seem to be a hard rule for any particular configuration.
Old 11th October 2016, 08:56 AM   #16
Iain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
The idea of seeking the flared scabbard tip from migrating peoples and symbolism from these transmitted is of course well placed. As I noted, it seems that Merotic ancestry may be possible with whatever symbolic character it had, and we know that migrations westward from Nilotic regions were the case in early times.
But again, why the dramatic chronological gap, with no evidence of this feature regionally anywhere else but Sudan?
Hi Jim,

Actually I was thinking more along the lines that almost all kaskara I've seen from Darfur are flared and the Fur migrated to the area from from the south and through Chad. Kaskara in Chad also seem to favor the flare. So less of a Merotic thing and more of a Chad basin thing potentially.

Despite the relatively interconnected nature of trade in the region, I think its also important to keep in mind that the trade in the Hausa and west African regions was more strongly tied to north African Arab areas than east Africa. Most of the routes ran north south, not east west.

However, I do think there's a connection in the scabbard form somehow. But I am not convinced just yet by any theory I've heard as to how that came about.
Old 11th October 2016, 07:29 PM   #17
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thanks Iain! That is excellent insight, and agree that the Darfur scabbards seem invariably to have that flare. I always think of Burton (1884, p.165) and the line drawing and text of the 'Danakil' sword, which is clearly a kaskara. Here here illustrates the sword tip sectioned away from the hilt, with a flared blade tip. He notes in the text as well that the blade of the 'Danakil' sword widens at the tip.
This is presumably an assumption on his part based on superficially observing kaskara in scabbard, which had a flared tip. The Danakil were situated in Ethiopian areas north of Somalia, thus beyond Sudan in sense and of course further from Darfur.

The note on Meroe and some ancient tradition were recalled from some study on this topic many years back and from a Sudanese archaeologist who held that theory on the 'flare'. I do not have the notes at this time but it was suggested that a sword in an early iconographic source of a king of Meroe with sword and scabbard with that feature. As always, this depiction may have been artistic license or any number of factors, but it was worth noting,

As you know, I very much have admired the anthropological work you have done on the tribal and cultural aspects of these regions which have added full dimension to our understanding of these weapons. Very well made point on the directional aspects of these trade routes, and interesting to view possible diffusions accordingly. I do believe however that materials et al, could well have exchanged in the centers in these routes, and followed other routes which are shown moving laterally.

On the other thread with same basic topic on the west African swords, it does seem the cuboid pommel of the Omani swords becomes present on a good number of varying types as the one with roundels on hilt . Here again I wonder if that influence might have been brought in to these areas from the Omani weapons, from those traders eastward.

We know that there no restrictions to how things moved on trade caravan routes, unless for tribal territorial issues/warfare or colonial intervention in the 19th c.

I noticed on some examples of the Mandinka sabres, the flared scabbard is demonstrably larger and more exaggerated. Might this be a case of such embellishment having to do with status etc. as with the takoubas with enormously wide blades?
Old 11th October 2016, 09:48 PM   #18
Iain

Hi Jim,

I think the major problem with this idea is that we don't have any signs of extensive contact with Omani traders to justify this idea.

Is a square pommel numb really all that much of an Omani idea? I am not sure personally it is. On these swords from Mande speaking peoples we see domed finials, square, etc. I am not sure any of these shapes are really so unique (rather, fairly universal!) to require much of an explanation.

There of course is a striking visual similarity between the two forms, but they are so basic, simple wrapped handles and a small finial/pommel, that I am not sure much more can be drawn from it given the breadth of a continent in between the two forms and not much of a trail of diffusion in the dividing territory.

Regarding the flared scabbard, I by no means meant to indicate this is necessarily a Darfur feature, but rather wanted to point out we see it in a variety of areas that for me dissipate the theory that this is a particularly eastern or western Sudanese feature. Rather it seems to be a fairly generalized artistic element.

Given the strong historical connections of the kaskara to Mamluk Egypt it would be interesting to compare medieval Mamluk straight sword scabbards, but sadly none survive I am aware of.
Old 12th October 2016, 10:21 AM   #19
Andreas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
I have seen notes of this feature on more ancient iconography which of course predates kaskara by more than centuries, but was on an edged weapon scabbard, but even this was inconclusive. I need to find the notes but it was I think a frieze of a king of Meroe with sword .
Presumably the relief of Prince Arikankharer, 1st century AD, at the Worcester Art Museum.
Attached Images

Andreas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2016, 12:59 PM   #20
Kubur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain
Hi Jim,

I think the major problem with this idea is that we don't have any signs of extensive contact with Omani traders to justify this idea.

Given the strong historical connections of the kaskara to Mamluk Egypt it would be interesting to compare medieval Mamluk straight sword scabbards, but sadly none survive I am aware of.
It's exactly what I think, thanks Iain. These swords have a common ancestor, maybe Mamluk, maybe older... And yes we don't have the scabbards...
Old 12th October 2016, 01:37 PM   #21
Iain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubur
It's exactly what I think, thanks Iain. These swords have a common ancestor, maybe Mamluk, maybe older... And yes we don't have the scabbards...
This isn't to say that there can't be an Omani connection, but, I think there isn't a preponderance of evidence to suggest this is the case beyond a superficial visual similarity.

However, that's not a bad starting point and is much the same as where I started years ago with takouba. The trick is then to support that with as much evidence as possible to show how the visual similarities could have come about. At the moment I would be the first to say there is a visual similarity, but I remain unconvinced as to why.

The Mamluk comment was made only in regard to kaskara, where there is a demonstrable link.
Old 13th October 2016, 09:26 AM   #22
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Default Crocodile Scabbard.

[QUOTE=Jim McDougall]Hi Teodor,
Very well made points, and agreed that often cases of trying to trace the developments of various forms can be tenuous as examining certain clues and nuances seek the possible origins of influences.

The key issue of that distinct scabbard flare has been an almost taunting factor to me as long as I have studied these swords of Africa. The fact that this feature appears as noted, almost invariably on the kaskaras of Sudan, but nowhere else in African sword scabbards....EXCEPT in Mali, with the Manding sabre.

So in these years, there has much speculation on what in the world this flared end means, and of course the most obvious suggestion is that it is the head of a crocodile (or snake would be also thought of as they are also seen in local motif in cases). I have seen notes of this feature on more ancient iconography which of course predates kaskara by more than centuries, but was on an edged weapon scabbard, but even this was inconclusive. I need to find the notes but it was I think a frieze of a king of Meroe with sword .

To me it seems that this notable feature is most likely meant to symbolize something, such as the crocodile head since such symbolism is of course key in the material culture and folk religions/traditions of these regional cultures. But why would it be present in Sudanese context, yet did not effect the sword cultures of the Sahara and beyond while blades, and many other characteristics did? Again, EXCEPT Mali .

In my comments on the possible influence of Omani traders on the Manding, I was inclear on the nature of that plausibility. I did not mean that Omani traders, in person, were present in these areas to the west and of course not as far as West Africa itself. What I meant is that the trade networks were the conduit in which influences are diffused, and these vast connections are relays where interactions carrying them take place.

To the Omani, these open hilt swords were primarily status oriented, much as the khanjhar daggers. That the importance of these swords was probably notably taunted to other traders in these networks must be strongly considered. While slaving was one of the key commodities as these networks moved from Zanzibar inland and northward, we cannot imagine that groups of slaves travelled such distances across the Sahara. However, as these routes entered various entrepots and centers goods etc were exchanged with the those of caravans from the west at these points, weapons and their forms etc. would catch the interest of those individuals.

Hello Jim, This could indeed be influenced by the crocodile... Please see http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=12707

Often descriptions appear as leaf shaped but I find scant evidence of this, ...however, I have to say that the leaf shaped or Rumi name was adopted for the African spear which was a massive broad leaf shaped spear... leaf shaped rather like the kaskara scabbard shape ..( Rumi of Rome) Rumi went on to be an adopted name for the Abu Futila...probably the gun which eventually saw the demise of the spear..though in this case to do with the distance idea that a spear could be thrown... and the distance a bullet could be fired...thus the link.

Although Mendinka scabbards are both the broad and normal shape it would seem to me that the broad version was a late copy onto these blades... from kaskara style.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2017, 08:27 PM   #23
kronckew

just received this mandinka sword, this thread looked like a good place to post it.

4.5 in. grip, sheet steel guard. grip has a brass or copper spacer at the guard, a steel ring bolster and a leather covered grip sewn along the top and black laquered. pommel has a featureless copper disk (coin?) keeper under the peened tang. blade has a dark patination with some darker oxide areas and a few small pitting areas. blade is 23.25 inches long, 1.125 in. wide at the guard, 4mm thick at the guard, slight distal taper to 3mm near the tip. hammer marks from the forging evident along the blade. leather scabbard with traditional banding patterns, braided suspension cords and buttons.leather fringe tassels.
Attached Images

kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2017, 05:46 PM   #24
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Very attractive example Wayne! Really displays the phenomenal leather work characteristic of these people. The stirrup hilt European style on this sword reminds me of quite modern examples of these seen still carried by some forces in coastal West Africa in conflicts in 1980s.The hilt on this one does seem much older, the examples I refer to were brass.
Old 4th June 2017, 08:19 PM   #25
kronckew

Thanks for the comments, Jim, I wish the keeper under the peening were not smoothed off, if it is a coin. it would help set a lower limit on it's date of mfg.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote