https://www.olympiaauctions.com/sale.../view-lot/630/

Regards,
Norman.

P.S. Sale has ended.
Attached Images

Norman McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2023, 04:04 PM   #2
Bob A

While it's a nice enough dagger, I doubt it made any inroads into the Arab marketplace.
Bob A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2023, 08:32 PM   #3
TVV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob A View Post
While it's a nice enough dagger, I doubt it made any inroads into the Arab marketplace.
Do you mean that you do not believe this dagger ever made it to Southern Arabia, or are you implying that there would have been no market for it there? It is hard for me to comment on the former, since I have no way of knowing this daggers exact history, but on the latter, Elgood in "Arms and Armor of Arabia" states that Sheffield blades in particular were valued and prized in Arabia, and a source of considerable pride for their owners.
TVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2023, 09:30 PM   #4
Bob A

I have no idea whether the dagger ever made it to the Mideast.

My comment was merely meant to reflect that I didn't see it as being readily accepted within the jambiyyah culture, despite its seeming quality, as a substitute for the usual and customary article.

I'd be curious to read of its history and travels, if known; also, I'd be pleased to read of similar blades and their origins and destinations by other posters here.
Bob A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2023, 10:25 PM   #5
TVV

This is an interesting question. On one hand, it looks like there was certainly a strong market for Sheffield blades for utilitarian knives in Oman. See this thread:

http://vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=15133

On the other hand, there are not many examples of actual khanjars/jambiyas with Sheffield markings. The subject of this thread is somewhat unique in this regard.

Whether this was due to local preferences or due to the Arab market not being large and lucrative enough for Sheffield manufacturers to dedicate resources to jambiya blades is impossible for me to claim with any degree of certainty.
TVV is offline   Reply With Quote